Traveling to Deerfield Il.

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
Bmup

Traveling to Deerfield Il.

Post by Bmup »

Me & Mrs. Bmup are taking a road trip to see family in Deerfield, Il. I know my Florida CWL is good for every state we'll be going through... but what happens in Illinois? Also, you may remember Deerfield was the town that banned AR15s outright even though they legally couldn't.
Does anyone happen to know what the handgun/knife/pepper spray laws are in Illinois? What about standard hollow points which are somehow "Cop Killer" bullets in NJ? I'm thinking of just locking up my carry piece in the trunk of the car, in a portable lock box when we get there & keeping my head on a swivel.

If anyone has local knowledge I'd sure like to hear from you.

Thanks!
"Biden/Fetterman 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
wcontratto

Post by wcontratto »

IIRC, your locked up gun also has to be unloaded. I think this meant the ammo had to be in a separate case.

NRA has some info, but it is not very clear. https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-g ... /illinois/

When I was growing up downstate, switchblades were illegal. Probably still are. Blades longer than x inches (41/2?) could be considered concealed weapons. At the time any concealed weapon was a big no-no.

Lots of patchwork laws up there too.
better2have&notneed

Post by better2have&notneed »

I'm also going to be traveling thru IL (about 150 miles) and was wondering about taking my CCW handgun. I found this site:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resour ... -gun-laws/

This is down the page about half way:
Q: Carry in Vehicle?
Can you carry a concealed firearm in a vehicle in Illinois?

A: Yes, only with an Illinois CCL [430 Ill. Comp. Stat. § 66/10(c)]. A non-resident may transport a loaded concealed handgun in a vehicle if they have a valid CCW permit in their home state. They cannot under any circumstances remove the firearm from the vehicle. If they need to exit the vehicle they must lock it or place the firearm in a locked container. Any ammunition needs to be stored separately [430 Ill. Comp. Stat. § 66/40(e)].
Hopefully we will be going thru non-stop and not getting out of the car, but I'll have a lock and my Pelican case I use as a suitcase inside the car just in case.

Florida Concealed Weapon License Reciprocity:

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Consum ... eciprocity
Martini

Post by Martini »

This information is from the USCCA website:

Summary of Illinois Gun Laws

Illinois is a shall-issue state, meaning that Illinois State Police must issue a concealed carry license if the applicant meets certain qualifications. However, Illinois differs from other states in that it still gives law enforcement the right to object to a concealed carry license being issued if they think the applicant is a danger to public safety or himself/herself. If the police do object, then the case is heard by the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board, who will make the final decision as to whether or not a license is issued. The applicant is notified by mail of the Board’s decision. There is an appeal process.

Open carry of a handgun on your person or in a vehicle is illegal.

Illinois law requires residents to have a Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID) to possess a firearm or ammunition. An Illinois Concealed Carry License (CCL) is required to concealed carry a firearm in Illinois. Applicants must be 21 or older. The license permits the licensee to carry a concealed loaded or unloaded handgun on his or her person or within a vehicle. FOID card holders (without a CCL) can legally carry unloaded firearms that are enclosed in a case. Non-resident licenses are only available for residents of Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi, Nevada, Texas and Virginia. A 16-hour firearms training course conducted by a state-approved instructor is required for all new concealed carry license applications. In terms of reciprocity, Illinois does not honor CCW licenses from any other state.

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, FOID card holders & CCL licensees who submit their renewal application will remain valid during the duration of the state’s disaster proclamation and for a period of 12 months following the termination of the disaster, even if their renewal application is/was not submitted prior to expiration. In addition, CCL licensees will not be required to immediately submit proof of three-hour training with their CCL renewal application but will need to submit proof of their training within 12 months following the termination of the state’s disaster proclamation in order to maintain the validity of their CCL license.

Illinois is a Castle Doctrine state. You are under no legal duty to retreat if threatened, and using deadly force is justified. Furthermore, the law prevents claims being filed against any person defending his or her house.

I hope this helps.
NRA Member 2020
Beretta Aficionado