Serial Number check?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Springfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Springfield » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:12 am

aquajon wrote:I don't think I would bother with it on a private sale because if the person buying the gun looked suspicious to me (pants falling off his ass and hat on backwards come to mind) I would just not sell it to them. I don't need the money so bad that I want the cops banging on my door asking about a gun I use to own that was linked to a murder.
More useful for the other side of a transaction to check the gun you're about to buy for an issue. I keep this link in my Blackberry and run the serial number every time I'm about to buy from a private party. A hit may not mean it's stolen, but would probably keep me from buying it unless the seller had bought it new and provided a receipt.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. ~Abraham Lincoln
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. ~Ben Franklin

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:17 am

Springfield wrote:I keep this link in my Blackberry and run the serial number every time I'm about to buy from a private party.
Thats an excellent idea. I'm bookmarking it into my SmartPhone now.

lx460
Life Member
Life Member

Post by lx460 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:00 pm

What does it say when you get a "hit"? I've never had one come up stolen and was curious. Does anybody have a stolen serial # try? I thought we used to have a stolen gun BOLO page.

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:02 pm

lx460 wrote:What does it say when you get a "hit"? I've never had one come up stolen and was curious. Does anybody have a stolen serial # try? I thought we used to have a stolen gun BOLO page.
try this:

I went through a few "BOLO" posts on stolen guns from the archives to see how many were in the FDLE system. Most were (only exception was a fairly recent one).

lx460
Life Member
Life Member

Post by lx460 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:04 pm

As a matter of fact I ran the Beretta in this post

http://floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb ... ght=stolen

It says no info is available. What gives? This resource seems to be worthless for checking for a stolen gun. Should I be waiting for a knock on the door now? :eek

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:56 pm

lx460 wrote: This resource seems to be worthless for checking for a stolen gun.
BINGO...........I entered 4 known stolen guns from the shop over 2 years ago and none of them show up #-o
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:25 pm

I guess it's better than nothing but I wouldn't rely on it as gospel if you got a hit or not.

If in doubt you can always call it in to the local PD, but I would think that this resource would mostly be used to for individual buyers to show "prudence" when they do deals with other individuals. If I get no hit on a new gun I'm buying then I assume it's good and lock it up. If it turns out that it was stolen and the cops try to come after me I can always point back to the FDLE site and show I looked and it wasn't listed when I bought it.