Serial Number check?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
2wdBlazer

Serial Number check?

Post by 2wdBlazer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:02 pm

My grandfather (deceased) aquired a couple of guns through the years and I am now wanting to get rid of them legally. Is there a way to see if these are legit pieced by running a serial number or something? One is a 44 specal and the other is a long black 357. What if I ran across a filed down number? What should I do?

bandit99

Post by bandit99 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:43 pm

Here is a link to a FDLE stolen firearm search page
http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/fdle/guns_search.asp
Hopefully someone else on the board can give you advice on what to do if your firearms come up as stolen.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Serial Number check?

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:11 pm

2wdBlazer wrote: What if I ran across a filed down number? What should I do?
dont travel anywhere with it , just call the police ( a non-emergency ) number, tell them and have them come and get it, you dont want to take a chance or have to pay an atty if you get stopped on the way to the PD with that thing, I believe its a felony to posess a firearm with a serial number altered or removed, you best bet might be find a deep lake and toss it
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by AirForceShooter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:22 am

Why would you want to get rid of Gramp's guns?

AFS
There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

2wdBlazer

Post by 2wdBlazer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:19 am

AirForceShooter wrote:Why would you want to get rid of Gramp's guns?

AFS
Cause I don't care for them. I alread have an Airweight S&W 38 and a GLock 36. I'm not a gun junkie so I only keep what I need.

AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by AirForceShooter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:34 pm

just post a description on here , hopefuly with a picture and say how much you want.
Meet in a Mac Donalds parking lot and exchange cash for gun.
No laws broken and mission accomplished.

Or... just give them to me.

AFS

freehunter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freehunter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Besides you'll have a couple of bucks for ammo. :smile

Cracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Serial Number check?

Post by Cracker » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:58 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
2wdBlazer wrote: What if I ran across a filed down number? What should I do?
dont travel anywhere with it , just call the police ( a non-emergency ) number, tell them and have them come and get it, you dont want to take a chance or have to pay an atty if you get stopped on the way to the PD with that thing, I believe its a felony to posess a firearm with a serial number altered or removed, you best bet might be find a deep lake and toss it
+1 on calling the police and having them come and get it.

Alteration of the serial number is a felony under both federal and Florida law. I didn't find anything on posession in the federal statutes, but I didn't look all that hard. Under Florida law, it is a first degree misdemeanor to knowingly sell, deliver, or possess any firearm on which the manufacturer's or importer's serial number has been unlawfully altered or removed, punishable by incarceration of up to one year.

Lee

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:24 am

What if I ran across a filed down number? What should I do?
Before simply tossing it in a lake or turning it over to the PD, check with some knowledgable gun folks (I think you can find some here pretty easily! :smile ) and see if it's worth anything for the parts. Someone should be able to help you strip it of all worthwhile parts, then you can deep-six or surrender the (supposed-to-be) serial-numbered frame only.
just post a description on here , hopefuly with a picture and say how much you want.
+1 on that! Let us have a shot at them - your grandfather's legacy to you could include a pocket full of cash!
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

fhp490
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by fhp490 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:44 pm

there may be more than 1 serial number on it.
take it apart and see if you can find one .
if you can't destroy the frame and sell the parts on ebay

AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by AirForceShooter » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:45 am

Take it to pyrguns
See what she can do

AFS

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:36 am

flcracker wrote:
What if I ran across a filed down number? What should I do?
Before simply tossing it in a lake or turning it over to the PD, check with some knowledgable gun folks (I think you can find some here pretty easily! :smile ) and see if it's worth anything for the parts. Someone should be able to help you strip it of all worthwhile parts, then you can deep-six or surrender the (supposed-to-be) serial-numbered frame only.
+1 on that! Let us have a shot at them - your grandfather's legacy to you could include a pocket full of cash!
Great Advice.. Parts can get you come good $$ for older stuff that isn't available anymore.

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:06 am

Or get about $75 for it at a gun buy back.

2wdBlazer

Post by 2wdBlazer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:37 pm

They checked out fine. I kept the .44 and sold the Ruger .357

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:28 pm

I have called in to the local (Manatee County) sheriff's department on several person-to-person purchased guns. They all came up clean. I suppose that if one came back dirty, I'd feel the civic urge to turn it in, even if it cost me money. I know that if I had one stolen, and someone had the chance to return it, I'd want it back. I'd probably also pay a reward.

Has anyone seen my P-38? Byf 42 with 2 notches carved into the grips

my 2cents.
"Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without"

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:59 pm

Zarathustra wrote: Has anyone seen my P-38? Byf 42 with 2 notches carved into the grips

my 2cents.
if you really want it back I can make a few calls ](*,)
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

tuts45

Post by tuts45 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:51 pm

bandit99 wrote:Here is a link to a FDLE stolen firearm search page
http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/fdle/guns_search.asp
Hopefully someone else on the board can give you advice on what to do if your firearms come up as stolen.
Unfortunately the listed URL no longer works. I found this updated URL in the event someone needs to locate it.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

Though not specifically applicable to this forum, it is handy to know that the same type of stolen item search is available for other things like vehicles, boats, license plates and general articles by accesing:

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/pashome.a
This will even get you info on "wanted persons" of which for those concerned in a private sale might want to consider checking, assuming they elect to obtain personal information and the buyer is willing to provide that info.

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:03 pm

tuts45 wrote:Though not specifically applicable to this forum, it is handy to know that the same type of stolen item search is available for other things like vehicles, boats, license plates and general articles by accesing:

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/pashome.a
This will even get you info on "wanted persons" of which for those concerned in a private sale might want to consider checking, assuming they elect to obtain personal information and the buyer is willing to provide that info.
I have used the warrant/arrest search with some success. Thats how I found my uncles current address #-o

I don't think I would bother with it on a private sale because if the person buying the gun looked suspicious to me (pants falling off his ass and hat on backwards come to mind) I would just not sell it to them. I don't need the money so bad that I want the cops banging on my door asking about a gun I use to own that was linked to a murder.

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:48 am

aquajon wrote:[

I don't think I would bother with it on a private sale because if the person buying the gun looked suspicious to me (pants falling off his ass and hat on backwards come to mind) I would just not sell it to them. I don't need the money so bad that I want the cops banging on my door asking about a gun I use to own that was linked to a murder.
thats a little harsh.. dont judge a book by its cover.. ever heard of that? just because someone dresses a certain way doesnt make them a bad person.
Ive been a LEO and im a paramedic.. and i dress "thugged" as people put it. Doesnt meant im a murderer or a bad person..
Without guns, we'd be british!

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:43 am

FLEMTP wrote: thats a little harsh.. dont judge a book by its cover.. ever heard of that? just because someone dresses a certain way doesnt make them a bad person.
Ive been a LEO and im a paramedic.. and i dress "thugged" as people put it. Doesnt meant im a murderer or a bad person..
I didn't say you were a murderer, but as a private seller I don't have the resources to perform background checks, etc to make sure I'm selling a firearm to someone who is legally permitted to have one. Instead I have to use my best judgment which has to be based on the persons appearance and demeanor. I'm not going to stick around for weeks to get to know the guy to to sell him a $300 gun. If they have some sort of credentials like CCW, LEO, EMS, etc then that can help in my decision making process too.