LEO help purchasing or obtaining Polyshok ammo?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
shappy0869

LEO help purchasing or obtaining Polyshok ammo?

Post by shappy0869 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:57 pm

I hope this post is appropriate, if not, I apologize in advance.

I have been searching for "safer" ammunition for my shotgun, one that will reduce the chances of over-penetration in both people and walls. I came across a product called Polyshok: http://www.polyshok.com

If you look at the information (including videos) on their site, you can see that this ammo is exactly what I am looking for. However, after speaking to their head of sales, he informed me that they are currently not selling to the public. The main reason he gave was that the expense of liability insurance for them was too high at this point. He did say, however, that there is no law against possessing this ammo.

The company offers free sample packs and information to LEOs and departments. So, would there be any south Florida LEO's out there interested in requesting a sample pack for me? I am only looking for 5 or 6 rounds, enough to fill the magazine of my shotgun. I would be willing to submit to any criminal background check and would even be happy to pay you for your time and effort.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to e-mail or PM me. And again, if this is inappropriate, I apologize in advance. I am only looking for the best ammo to protect my family. Thanks.

Scott

freehunter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freehunter » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Try a local Gun Show. More tha likely they will have what you need. :smile & Welcome to FSN

shappy0869

Post by shappy0869 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:54 am

That is a good idea. I am planning to attend the West Palm show next month and perhaps the Ft. Laud one too.

I also found this ammo: http://www.ebr-inc.net/12ga.asp

Their ammo actually seems to have less risk of over-penetration, and it is available to the public.

tegemu

Post by tegemu » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:54 am

Thanx Shappy, I sent them an email asking where I could get them in the Jax area and what the MSRB is.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

shappy0869

Post by shappy0869 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:56 am

I did too and they sent me the list of their distributors:

Doug Melton - 480/967-6218 (AZ)
Doug Stockman - 540/582-7726 - (VA)
Brent Hemphill - 915/357-4546 - (TX)

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:09 pm

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here but why not just use standard factory high brass bird shot? You should get the same or similar effect.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

shappy0869

Post by shappy0869 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:17 pm

I did think about birdshot, but there have been many instances where birdshot lacks the necessary penetration power to effectively stop an intruder.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

It is sort of a catch 22, if it is powerful enough to stop a man, it will over-penetrate drywall. If it won't penetrate drywall, it won't stop a man.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:25 pm

I thought a lot about this penetration issue too.
I tried shooting watermellons and cantelopes with #8, #6, #4 buchshot, 00 buckshot, etc. I now just load my home defense shotgun with Federal tactical #4 buckshot and stopped worrying about it.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.

shappy0869

Post by shappy0869 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:39 pm

Unfortunately, it is something I worry about a lot. I have a 14 month old daughter who sleeps in another room, a room that is just off the hallway that leads downstairs. It is also the reason I load my Glock 27 with Magsafe ammo.

Obviously I would not try to clear my house in the event of a "bump in the night", instead I would go a grab her and barricade the three of us in the bedroom and call 911, but I still want to plan for every contingency I can.

Then again, the smart thing would be to use the Glock to go get her and then the shotgun once we are barricaded back in our bedroom. Damn, you can go nutty trying to think of the right thing to do for every scenario.

That is also what is great about forums like this, you get to hear what other people have to say and learn from their experience and opinions.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:44 pm

rug357 wrote:I now just load my home defense shotgun with Federal tactical #4 buckshot and stopped worrying about it.
+1

Moe
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:23 pm

shappy0869 wrote:Unfortunately, it is something I worry about a lot. I have a 14 month old daughter who sleeps in another room, a room that is just off the hallway that leads downstairs. It is also the reason I load my Glock 27 with Magsafe ammo.

Obviously I would not try to clear my house in the event of a "bump in the night", instead I would go a grab her and barricade the three of us in the bedroom and call 911, but I still want to plan for every contingency I can.

Then again, the smart thing would be to use the Glock to go get her and then the shotgun once we are barricaded back in our bedroom. Damn, you can go nutty trying to think of the right thing to do for every scenario.

That is also what is great about forums like this, you get to hear what other people have to say and learn from their experience and opinions.
My situation is very similar except its a 10 month old boy.
My plan is to get a little heads up from my two dogs.
If the dogs start to bark and growl I'm grabbing my handgun and go grab my kid and return to my bedroom where I'll grab the shotgun.

shappy0869

Post by shappy0869 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:44 pm

Our dog loves to sleep in our closet. During the day he barks at any sound he hears, at night?...well, luckily he has not woken us up barking at anything. Hopefully he doesn't sleep through anything we wouldn't want him to.