Interested in becoming a LEO

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Jeffrosdl

Interested in becoming a LEO

Post by Jeffrosdl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:51 am

I am interested in becoming a LEO. Just wanted to get some advice from anyone on here that could help steer me in the right direction. I am 20. I have no prior military or law enforcement experience. I am currently working on my 2 yr. degree(should be done either this semester or next.). I started in a business admin/mgt. major and was told just to finish with that instead of switching over to a criminal justice degree because it wouldn't matter much. I live in Hernando county but looking to work in either hernando or Pasco county.
What is the best way to go about things from where I am? What else would be required from me before I can apply?

Thanks, JEFF

mkh100

Post by mkh100 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:09 am

Just a few thoughts.....

I doubt changing degrees would make any difference.....if doing so would mean it would take longer to graduate then DEFINANTLY not. For the most part any degree is acceptable to most departments. Most do tend to prefer 4 year degrees, but I would start applying as soon as you have a AS or AA.

Volunteer at the place you really want to work at. This can be a great way to get your foot in the door. It can really help later on if there are two or three respected Officers from that dept that will recommend you to the Chief/Sheriff. I have seen a lot of guys get hired this way.

You have to be Certified by attending a Criminal Justice Academy and as far as I know you still must pass a state test. Some guys put themselves through the Academy then look for a job. Its better to get hired/sponsered by an agency and let them put you through, then you have a job waiting when you get out.

Are you going on, eventually, for a 4 year degree? if so maybe finish up the two year program your in and get through the Academy attending nights or whatever. then once certified get on somewhere as a reserve or auxilery to get some experience while you finish college.

Call the places you want to work and ask for a recruiting packet, most dept. have them and they can give you some more insight. Larger agencies will have a recruiting officer to find guys like you and hook them up with jobs....pretty cool. Find a couple of good ones and be sure they know haw bad you want the job.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:20 am

I would check the local agencies you are interested in and see what requirments they have. Dont worry about changing majors iiin college... a management degree will actually help you out if you decide to move up in any department and be a supervisor.

Here is my 2 cents...you are only 20. I would try to finish my last 2 years in college first, before becoming a certified officer. While doing that see if you can get a job as a cadet or other nonsworn position in a department. This is a great way to get your foot in the door like the other poster said. Even starting at 22 you will be one of the youngest out there which is not always a good thing. I started when I was 24 and was the third youngest guy in my academy class. I can still retire before Im 50 with a great pension and have a long time to enjoy life. Believe me it is much harder to finish school while you are working...I have been trying to go back for the last 4 years and still havent had the time.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Jeffrosdl

Post by Jeffrosdl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks , I think I might just go ahead and finish my B.S. degree in business mgt. then. I can get into a B.S. program at the CC that I attend now and finish that up about a year after I get my A.S. How often do you have the opportunity to advance or move up in a dept.? What kind of work can I do for the agency like you guys were saying? Right now I work just about full time and go to school full time so it would be hard to volunteer, but I could try with any free time I have. I'm glad you guys cleared up the academy ordeal... I wasn't sure if you HAD to complete it before or after you were hired. Also, what is the best way to decide on what dept. to work at? There are about three or four locally that interest me. Any tips?

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:07 pm

Opportunity to move depends on the department. Smaller agencies obviously have a smaller chance to move. My department is pretty big..over 1000 sworn officers and getting bigger. There are many different departments , other then just a road deputy (or officer) to got to...detective, community policing, warrents, undercover, swat,...you name it its there.
When deciding where to look dont only take pay into consideration. Look at the whole package they offer including benefits and retirement. Some may look like the pay is more but by the time you put away money for retirement and benifits you are actually taking home less money. Talk to guys that work there and see what they say.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Jeffrosdl

Post by Jeffrosdl » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:24 am

Found out I only need one more class to finish my AA degree. I figure I will start looking now and try to get my foot in the door some places. Hopefully somebody will pick me up, give me a shot, and I'll be on my way shortly.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:45 am

If you're interested in coming down to Broward County, let me know and I can help you out. Doesn't matter what degree you have, just get one. You'll get paid more.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

copdoc

Post by copdoc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:12 pm

Ditto on the degree. Any major, but the 4 year will get you more $$$ with most depts. Also if you decide to go state or fed it will be necessary for most positions. In NC we have more positions opening up as more officers are going to the middle east for private security work.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:15 pm

I'd love to go to NC but the pay just isn't there. What's starting in your department, 28?
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

copdoc

Post by copdoc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 pm

I am a Police Surgeon. (An MD is not worth the $$$ to get either for law enforcement or family practice.)

Charlotte-Mecklenburg city/county is one of the best for pay. All the Sheriff Depts are all serving "at the pleasure of the sheriff" who is elected every 4 years. That is a stressful job the higher you get the worse it is. I have seen a lot of guys say who cares I am just a road deputy or detective. Then they get close to retirement get promoted and replaced as the old sheriff goes out. There are frequent turnovers in most counties. Some of our small PDs are not too bad to work but pay will be in the $22-25K range.

PM me and I'll tell you more about some of the different depts. Is there anyplace in particular you are interested in?

Jeffrosdl

Post by Jeffrosdl » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:36 pm

wakkoss wrote:If you're interested in coming down to Broward County, let me know and I can help you out. Doesn't matter what degree you have, just get one. You'll get paid more.

Broward is just a little too far for me now. But I appreciate it.

coolcloo1019

Post by coolcloo1019 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:59 am

I too have been thinking about becoming an LEO. Basically had the same questions as Jeff. I only got about half way through my AA degree. Will they frown on that? I almost think I'd want to get into investigations or undercover.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 am

They work on a points system when hiring. You get points for things like military experience and college. If you don't have either you can still get hired, you simply need to show them why they'd want you. As far as undercover and investigations, that comes later. Do a few years road patrol and then attempt lateral movements.

Jeffrosdl

Post by Jeffrosdl » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:30 am

Alright guys, I think I am going to finish up this semester at college. Next semester, starting in jan., I am going to see about getting into the local academy while I am taking my ONE class I have left for my AA. That way I will have the 2 year degree and the certification through the academy already.
The academy is I believe 4 to 5 months... does that sound right?
Anymore advice as far as what to do in order to get ready fot it?

Once again, thanks to all of you. I really appreciate all the advice and everything. Everything looks like it might finally be coming together for me.

coolcloo1019

Post by coolcloo1019 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:16 pm

wakkoss wrote:They work on a points system when hiring. You get points for things like military experience and college. If you don't have either you can still get hired, you simply need to show them why they'd want you. As far as undercover and investigations, that comes later. Do a few years road patrol and then attempt lateral movements.
VERY good to know. Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

cin357

Post by cin357 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:38 pm

the corrections academy in Nw Florida is 6 months... LEO is 9 months. I have my paperwork ready for the classes just gotta get my fingerprints again and my physical :smile

As my hubby tells me.. great I will be married to a witch ( another word used) with a gun.. even though i already am one lol
locked & loaded 24/7

Jeffrosdl

Post by Jeffrosdl » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:45 pm

Well, I went to the orientation for the local academy and got a bunch of information. So far it looks like I will be doing the night academy starting in April. It lasts about 10 months. I contacted my sheriff's office where I live and talked to some people. I am hoping to be able to get sponsored through them but do not know as of yet. Hopefully everying will work out and in a little over a year I will be a deputy. :bg