Local report

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
hueytaxi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Local report

Post by hueytaxi » Tue May 19, 2015 1:52 am

East side of Lakeland Friday I hear numerous sirens about 2 PM. Opening the garage door I have fire trucks in my neighborhood and deputies. A patrol deputy is in front of our neighborhood directing traffic along Reynolds Rd. It was not until Sunday night that I learned the cause. One of my neighbors and friend had their home fully engulfed when fire arrived. I stopped by today and left concerned. The home owner was notified by the alarm company and arrived near his home but was not allowed to proceed. He abandoned his vehicle and cut through the property to the back and found fire response was not yet putting water on the blaze. They claimed they did not have a close hydrant, yet a full swimming pool was available in the back yard. Next concerned his dogs, did anyone check on them. The answer was they waited for a response from the homeowner before they entered the residence. (I hope this is just my friends grief blocking some facts here.) All three dogs were brought out later expired. Eventually connections with water were found and just driving by does not seem too bad, but a step onto the porch you realize the smell only adds to the hurt this family currently knows. What is left is subject to scavengers and my friend is maintaining an overnight presence on the property Knowing he is a decent hunter I made sure he kept adequate self defense close by.
He who never looks will never see; he who never explores will never learn; he who never speaks will never be heard.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Local report

Post by flcracker » Tue May 19, 2015 4:22 am

My condolences to your friend, but....

How did he think they were going to get the water from his pool onto the fire - with buckets?

If you don't know where the nearest fire hydrant to your house is, FIND IT!!! Your ability to direct a first responder crew could save minutes and lives. The crews sometimes come in from other areas and don't always have the hydrants showing on their GPS.

AND, I'M pretty sure that without a warrant and no presence of the owner, I wouldn't expect a firefighter to enter a burning home just to retrieve some dogs. Sorry - I love the furry people too, but they are not human and are not worth the cost of one human life.

I hope your friend had good insurance coverage and that the inspector doesn't find "negligence" as the cause - we had a neighbor who lost everything in a fire and when the investigation was completed the cause was traced to her live-in boyfriend's laptop computer. He had plugged the charger cord into a cheap extension cord and left it on his workbench in the garage. It overheated and caught fire. Since the laptop was identified as his, and he wasn't listed on the policy as living there, everything that was titled to him that was destroyed in the fire (car, motorcycle, boat, etc.) was excluded from coverage, along with all of his trade-related tools (A/C & refridgeration tech).
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue May 19, 2015 6:24 am

if they dont bring water we aint got any
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:05 am

people in rural areas make adaptions and changes to their well so that they can have a valve right off of the 4 inch well casing where you can quickly add screw on PVC couplers and a length of pipe to fill a portable water bladder or something to a the fire department...don't rely on them to bring enough or have enough not to run out.

my house has 1 1/4 waterline that is plumbed off the well and used to run up the side of the house to three quarter inch PVC along the roof and then into yard type sprinklers just in case there was ever a forest fire nearby and we were forced to evacuate. I could fire up the generator to run the well and leave..... water would just cascade out over my roof until the fuel tank on the generator ran out...at least give me some sort of chance ??
Last edited by Rentprop1 on Tue May 19, 2015 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:08 am

Oh and BTW they sell stickers at pet smart and pet stores that you can place on your front window to alert the FD as to the presents of pets.

If says something like Fire Department please be advised

there are ____ dogs ____cats and _____ other animals inside

please save them In case of fire.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.