OK, maybe not an LEO question, but a State of Florida beef

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Joel
Life Member
Life Member

OK, maybe not an LEO question, but a State of Florida beef

Post by Joel » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:07 pm

My wife has lived in this State her whole life... even her parents have lived here forever. I married this sweet woman in 1977 and she had tickets then on her record.

The State of Florida limits the amount of time that a driver can elect traffic school and there are limits per 12 month period and LIFETIME limits. Well, not to sound like a cry baby here, but that's not favorable to lifelong residents, since transplants can move between States and benefit from a clean start.

So, if you are allowed only five traffic school elections per life, and you live and drive in this wonderful State for 40+ years or more, then you better be careful. Is there a "resetting of the clock" after a number of years? Like, tickets and school that happened back in the 70's and early 80's drop off of the radar after twenty years or so?

Thanks for the comments and the answer to this.

Joe L.

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:22 pm

You live in South Florida. You have access to the very best traffic ticket attorneys in the world. For $60/infraction you will never ever:
-take traffic school again
-receive points on your license again
-get hit with an insurance rate hike again
-worry about any of this stuff again.

I have gotten upwards of 10+ tickets in the last 3-5 years and have not had an insurance rate increase in that entire time. I have paid $60/ticket ($54 with 10% off for repeat customers) and walked away scott free each and every time.

Now, in principal, I agree with our state law and actually feel that traffic citations aren't taken seriously enough nor punished harshly enough. People get away with murder on the roads and the only reason is because there aren't enough cops to stop them. I'd like to see fines and points for traffic offenses doubled to see if it would have an effect on the way people drive. If the cops are only going to catch you 5% of the time, then the fines should be 20x higher.
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

Joel
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Joel » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:04 pm

rob_s wrote:Now, in principal, I agree with our state law and actually feel that traffic citations aren't taken seriously enough nor punished harshly enough. People get away with murder on the roads and the only reason is because there aren't enough cops to stop them. I'd like to see fines and points for traffic offenses doubled to see if it would have an effect on the way people drive. If the cops are only going to catch you 5% of the time, then the fines should be 20x higher.
If that were the case, there would be even MORE uninsured drivers on the road, as no one could afford that.

If an average ticket was, say, $100... then 20X that, or $2,000 per ticket would cause someone to either take the "ankle express" to the next bus stop or drive without insurance (and look over their shoulder for the traffic cop)

By the way Rob, what did you do with all those G19 mags? Were you able to sell them? I know you had plenty and a couple of holsters too. I hope that you were able to sell them, or give them as stocking stuffers to your family and friends.

Joe L.

Joel
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Joel » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:19 pm

But, my question was still not answered. The reason being, and I know about all the attorneys willing to go to traffic court for me (there are MORE attorneys in Broward County than there are trees) my wife's last ticket was in Marion County and I found ZERO "traffic clinics" there.

We made the option for her to go to school, "they" called us and told us that she was in violation and was ineligible to elect school. So, we had to "rush" them a check so that a warrant wasn't issued for my wife, who had made an election she wasn't allowed to make.

Surely, the clock has to be re-set at some point, because you have older people living here now that need more than FIVE strikes in their lives.

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:57 pm

Um... What's wrong with driving properly and not getting tickets? Don't mean to be a smart alec, just that's what I do.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

blan
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:03 pm

Do what I did, drive cautiously (as in aware for speed traps) and get a good radar detector.

pyrguns2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pyrguns2003 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:33 pm

Joel wrote:Surely, the clock has to be re-set at some point, because you have older people living here now that need more than FIVE strikes in their lives.
O.K. I'll speak up...

HELL NO! [-X
We are not letting the older people get more leniency due to their age! Why should we make acceptions because they can't see over the wheel, or because they can't see at all?! Let's face it, Grandpa's reaction time is not what it used to be. I say have an age limit on DL's.
Or more realization tests for them. Like duck behind the counter and jump at them, yell "BOO" and see if they 1)have a heart attack 2)scream 3) see if they even heard/saw you at all .

I agree with the previous posts. "Just drive properly."

And if ya got too many tickets, maybe you need a private lesson. (from a stunt driver)
http://www.gunstampa.com
$15.00 FSN Transfers!!!
Wain Roberts Firearms
5631 70th Ave N
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
727-544-7935
Lic FFL for over 35 yrs!

Custom hydrographic printing and firearms refinishing
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
863-797-4226

blan
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:54 pm

pyrguns2003 wrote:
Joel wrote:Surely, the clock has to be re-set at some point, because you have older people living here now that need more than FIVE strikes in their lives.
O.K. I'll speak up...

HELL NO! [-X
We are not letting the older people get more leniency due to their age! Why should we make acceptions because they can't see over the wheel, or because they can't see at all?! Let's face it, Grandpa's reaction time is not what it used to be. I say have an age limit on DL's.
Or more realization tests for them. Like duck behind the counter and jump at them, yell "BOO" and see if they 1)have a heart attack 2)scream 3) see if they even heard/saw you at all .

I agree with the previous posts. "Just drive properly."

And if ya got too many tickets, maybe you need a private lesson. (from a stunt driver)
I think you misunderstood what he was trying to say. He is saying that people that have been here for a really long time (and that's why they're older) need more strikes.

I'm sure the clock doesn't reset at anytime. That why they purposedly called it "lifetime" total. If it were to reset at anytime then they would've probably worded it different.

P.S. I agree with your statement pyr. Older people (say 55+?) need to be tested on their driving skills anually or bianually. IMO.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:13 am

I drive faster and more aggressively(but safely mind you) than anyone else I know. I've gotten a total of 2 tickets since I started driving, one was for something I didn't even do(running a "redlight" that was actually green), the other time was when first started driving I got in a fender bender type accident. I don't know how I do it, I just somehow manage not to get any speeding tickets even though I've been known to do 100+ sometimes.
Libertas aut mortis!

G_Loc
Life Member
Life Member

Post by G_Loc » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:10 am

rob_s wrote:I have gotten upwards of 10+ tickets in the last 3-5 years and have not had an insurance rate increase in that entire time. I have paid $60/ticket ($54 with 10% off for repeat customers) and walked away scott free each and every time.
Damn, either you're lucky or the ticket people you use are awesome. I've gotten 2 speeding tickets, both over a year apart. Went through one of those ticket attorneys both times. First ticket was dropped, but the second wasn't and I had to pay the fine, but no points.

ffcracker

Post by ffcracker » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:16 am

Most of the time you can take it to court and be "ordered" to take the class. This works even if you have reached your max.
F F C

Joel
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Joel » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:55 am

ffcracker wrote:Most of the time you can take it to court and be "ordered" to take the class. This works even if you have reached your max.
Thanks Cracker, hopefully she will never need it. Thanks.

Also, Blan is 100% right (thanks Blan). I wasn't talking about the senior citizens driving wild, I was saying (as Blan pointed out) that long term residents here are "stuck" whereby transients can go to another state and leave their "lifetime limit" here... and probably come back here, get a new FL license and start the clock over.

Anyway, thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. Yes, we all should drive safer and not look to get away with infractions, but to us who aren't perfect, we all need Grace when we're in a bind. I do.

maddawg918
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by maddawg918 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:48 am

Maybe LEO's are different up here, or maybe I've just got some lenient ones. I've been stopped for speeding about 4 or 5 times, not that I speed often, just happened to be in a rush those times. In fact, most of my family joke about me being an *old man* driver at 41. Anyway, each time when stopped, I had the window down, license, registration, insurance at the ready, and above all a polite attitude. Ticket free after 25 years of driving in FL.
Ammo-buy it cheap and stack it deep.

MSGTTBAR

Post by MSGTTBAR » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:10 am

Joel, your scenario won't work. Your Florida DL # is based on your last name and birthdate. When I was a GI, I had licenses from several states and when I finally came back home to FL. Had the same DL # I got at age 16 when I first started driving.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE SERIOUS

Joel
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Joel » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:24 am

Thanks MSgt

DeltaWolf

Post by DeltaWolf » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:58 am

your points on record drop off after three years.
only problem is the insurance company never forgets ](*,)
-Dave

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:14 am

Not to be mean, but tell your sweet wife to slow down and obey the law.

Cracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: OK, maybe not an LEO question, but a State of Florida be

Post by Cracker » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:22 pm

Joel wrote:My wife has lived in this State her whole life... even her parents have lived here forever. I married this sweet woman in 1977 and she had tickets then on her record.

The State of Florida limits the amount of time that a driver can elect traffic school and there are limits per 12 month period and LIFETIME limits. Well, not to sound like a cry baby here, but that's not favorable to lifelong residents, since transplants can move between States and benefit from a clean start.

So, if you are allowed only five traffic school elections per life, and you live and drive in this wonderful State for 40+ years or more, then you better be careful. Is there a "resetting of the clock" after a number of years? Like, tickets and school that happened back in the 70's and early 80's drop off of the radar after twenty years or so?

Thanks for the comments and the answer to this.

Joe L.
Like your wife, I'm a native. Unlike your wife, I learned my lesson after only a few rounds of traffic school. Don't you think, perhaps, it's a good idea for everyone to be careful rather than just those that have pushed the limits of legal leniency?

Lee

forcefed
Life Member
Life Member

Post by forcefed » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:14 pm

1) I don't write alot of traffic citations anymore. The fines have gotten way too high. I usually write a non-moving violation instead or give a verbal warning. If you are driving like a jackass, then you'll get loaded with citations.

2) If you take one of my citations to court 95% of the time you'll receive the fine plus points plus court fees. I don't lose wether you use ticket clinic or not. (Ticket clinic lawyers don't fight at trial, they weasel with the officer before court and ask you to drop the citation or just the points because "my client has a really good driving record, can you give him a break")

3) You won't get a warrant for not paying a citation. You'll have your license suspended and receive a letter stating such.