Trailer question-

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Tact.Medic

Trailer question-

Post by Tact.Medic » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm

My buddy was going to junk a trailer that was in the back of his property. he said its been back there for years and he has no papers. I told him I would take it off his hands and fix it. Since there is no title can I just register it as a home made? I checked it for any VIN type numbers but cannot find them. Any thoughts???

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Trailer question-

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Do you mean a utility trailer or one that cousins tend to have sex in?
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

Famester
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Famester » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Only registration is for the license tag, not the actual trailer and I believe that they only put the name of the manufacturer on it. No VIN that I know of.
I began revolution with 82 men. If I had to do it again, I do it with 10 or 15 and absolute faith. It does not matter how small you are if you have faith and plan of action.
Fidel Castro

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:16 pm

just a guideline :ber

Initial Trailer Registration

Trailers with an empty weight of less than 2,000 lbs are issued a registration only.

Trailers with an empty weight of 2,000 lbs or more are issued a title and registration.

Not able to register a used or homemade trailer over 2,000 lbs without a title.

In order to register a trailer, our office will need to see the following documents:

Homemade Trailer:

Less than 2,000 lbs –
Photo Identification
A certified weight slip is needed. A temporary license plate may be purchased at our office for the purpose of obtaining the trailer weight.
More than or equal to 2,000 lbs -
These transactions are processed through the DMV Compliance Examiner’s office.

Trailer Fees
(Fees based on a full 12 month registration period)
Weight Fee

Under 500 lbs $60.40

501 to 599 lbs $66.15

600 to 699 lbs $67.65

Transfer of a current plate $12.35

Title Transfer Fee $75.75

Title Printing Fee by mail $2.50

To calculate fees for trailers over 699 lbs add $1.50 for every 100 lbs. EX: 1,000 lbs trailer would be $67.65 + $4.50 (1.50×3) = $72.15.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:54 pm

I normally list my trailers as homemade. Too expensive otherwise.
Go Trump!

Tact.Medic

Post by Tact.Medic » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks rent prop [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

I have the tag from my old boat trailer so I think I can just renew the tag and be good as a home made under 2k lbs.

Sweet

Now need some 15" tires ](*,)

WhoUtink
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WhoUtink » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:48 am

I have a cheap little dolly we have used with no tag. Never been pulled over but assume it needs a tag. Is this correct? I'm not sure if I have the original paperwork from the previous owner as I have moved twice since owning. Am I gonna have to prove I didn't steal it, To get a tag?
great stuff and junk

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:52 am

My story has to do with the titling a trailer in NC not FL, but I assume the process is similar.

Back story: I bought a pontoon boat on a trailer last August. The owner had originally purchased them in TN when she lived in TN. In TN there was no requirement to title the trailer as long as she was a TN resident. Well she moved to Ashville & put the boat in the lake and the trailer in her back yard. She never registered or titled the trailer in NC. She did register the boat & had the original title for boat. The kids lost interest in boating so a couple years later she sold the pair (the boat and trailer, not the kids) to me.

When I got home I re-registered the boat and transferred the its title to me. No problem. The trailer on the other hand was an issue. I had only a hand written bill of sale, no registration or title on the trailer. I had to have the "stolen vehicle" department of the NC State Police come out verify the VIN (I couldn't find it, but the cop knew right where to look & had some special light that showed it up.) I then had to go to an insurance agency & get an Indemnity Bond, basically insuring the trailer wasn't stolen. Cost me $100 for the bond. With the bond in hand & after filling out other paperwork I was issued a title and only then I could register the trailer. Bottom line is it took about a month and cost me around $250 to get the trailer on the road.

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

Tact.Medic

Post by Tact.Medic » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am

Damn that sucked Allan! By the way do you remember where the cop found the VIN? Maybe I can find it on this trailer. My trailer is a lightweight vehicle carrier.

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Tact.Medic wrote:Damn that sucked Allan! By the way do you remember where the cop found the VIN? Maybe I can find it on this trailer. My trailer is a lightweight vehicle carrier.
It was on what I thought was the glue left over from a sticker on the center rail going from the tongue back to a crosspiece. When the cop got there he went right to the sticker & cleaned it up a bit, then shined his little light on it & you could barely make out the VIN... Because it was so faded he asked that I get a set of metal stamps to imprint the VIN both on the tongue and the rear axle (tandem trailer).

Why that wasn't done by the factory is beyond me, but whatever. The cop was pretty nice about the whole thing saying this happens fairly often. The factory simply prints the VIN on a sticker and then glues the sticker to the frame. Time and weather beat the crap out of the sticker & here we are.

Other than the cost and multiple trips up town (usually going that way anyway) it wasn't all that bad once we figured out what the process was. I had already put the boat into the water in a wet slip so it wasn't like I was tied up without use of the boat... Heading up that way in a couple days for the summer. The water is coming up in the TVA reservoir & I'm dreaming of "fish on"...

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

bfips
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bfips » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 pm

After you get it weighed and tagged, aren't you suppose to permanently attach the VIN? Anyone have a link to the specs of attaching a VIN to a home made trailer?
Character determines destiny
In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty
NRA Life Member

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 pm

bfips wrote:After you get it weighed and tagged, aren't you suppose to permanently attach the VIN? Anyone have a link to the specs of attaching a VIN to a home made trailer?
I know other states make you do that but I don't think FL is like that

they were supposed to be revamping the whole " homemade " thing cause of the number of stolen trailers that are easily being re-registered

the lady at the County Tag office told me you can not register a trailer over 2000 lbs without a title, so beware of those craigslist azzholes that tell you it only comes with a bill of sale
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.