Fishing Carry.

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Lastrites wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 am
flcracker wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:56 am What's a "Cuban rig" ?
This is what i thought of when i saw, whats a cuban rig :lol: :lol: :lol:
photohause

Post by photohause »

Dave P wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:44 pm Open carry is permitted while going to-from fishing....And While Fishing

FL Statute 790.25.3 is clear to me: " it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes: (h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

Are you a vagrant? Different rules apply. :lol:
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Jiggle

Post by Jiggle »

I have personally been harassed by police for open carrying while fishing. Fortunately, being north Florida, the officer left me alone after verifying that I had a CWL and telling me to “keep it concealed”. I was in a public area, though there were not many people around. It was obvious by the way he approached me that somebody had called about it.

I was not interested in arguing with him, so I pulled my shirt over it and moved on.

My advice would be to keep a copy of the statute with your fishing gear, just in case. FWIW, I do open carry often while fishing, camping, hunting and also around my property, and have never had another issue.
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

I believe there were following the law (yes, to prove a point) and the cops were the ones who screwed up!
johnmcd348

Post by johnmcd348 »

It seems that most of these people who have run ins with law enforcement to prove a point go above and beyond to be an absolute ASS when they are approached. I've had a few encounters, mainly with FWC, over the years while camping or fishing and I've never had a bad interaction with them and I had my pistol on my hip, open Carrying, the entire time. One of them even helped me set up camp at Hopkins Prairie and stayed and chatted for awhile because he was bored and hadn't seen anyone out there for a few days and he happened to have grown up a couple of cities over from where I'm from. I've been pulled over for speeding on my way home from the range before and let the trooper know there was quite a few UNLOADED firearms in the back seat, along with a loaded holstered one in the front, because I was on my way home back from the range and he thanked me for letting him know. He gave me the ticket, we had a nice discussion about firearms, tactics and favorite calibers and I left to go pick up my son at Kindergarten.

I really wish there was a way that WE as responsible firearms owners could mute and somehow segregate these people and let them suffer the consequences of their actions.
We Sleep Peacefully in our Beds at night because Rough Men stand ready in the Night to visits Violence upon those who would do us Harm........ G. Orwell
rug357

Post by rug357 »

johnmcd348 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:43 am It seems that most of these people who have run ins with law enforcement to prove a point go above and beyond to be an absolute ASS when they are approached. I've had a few encounters, mainly with FWC, over the years while camping or fishing and I've never had a bad interaction with them and I had my pistol on my hip, open Carrying, the entire time. One of them even helped me set up camp at Hopkins Prairie and stayed and chatted for awhile because he was bored and hadn't seen anyone out there for a few days and he happened to have grown up a couple of cities over from where I'm from. I've been pulled over for speeding on my way home from the range before and let the trooper know there was quite a few UNLOADED firearms in the back seat, along with a loaded holstered one in the front, because I was on my way home back from the range and he thanked me for letting him know. He gave me the ticket, we had a nice discussion about firearms, tactics and favorite calibers and I left to go pick up my son at Kindergarten.

I really wish there was a way that WE as responsible firearms owners could mute and somehow segregate these people and let them suffer the consequences of their actions.
Many years ago before there was CWP in Florida I used to open carry a Jenning 22 pistol in a Uncle Mike belt holster while fishing under bridges at night for snook in Keys and Naples/Marcos area. I got kicked off bridges by deputies and fish cops but I never had problems for having pistol.

Unfortunately I have had city cops tell me to get out of the car so they can secure my pistol during the stop. One particular Broward cop had me get out of the car when I told her that I had a pistol on my belt. She said she wanted to secure the pistol during the stop and had me turn around while she took out the pistol from my IWB holster. I guess she had no experience with 1911 type pistol because a second after she took it out of my holster I heard my thumb safety click off :shock: I told her that she needed to be real careful because she just took the safety off and that the pistol will discharge if she applied 4 pounds of pressure on the trigger or if she dropped the pistol. I guess she got scared because she told me to turn around and unload the pistol. She gave me a lecture about carrying unsafe pistol and a speeding ticket. :x
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

rug357 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:47 pm
johnmcd348 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:43 am It seems that most of these people who have run ins with law enforcement to prove a point go above and beyond to be an absolute ASS when they are approached. I've had a few encounters, mainly with FWC, over the years while camping or fishing and I've never had a bad interaction with them and I had my pistol on my hip, open Carrying, the entire time. One of them even helped me set up camp at Hopkins Prairie and stayed and chatted for awhile because he was bored and hadn't seen anyone out there for a few days and he happened to have grown up a couple of cities over from where I'm from. I've been pulled over for speeding on my way home from the range before and let the trooper know there was quite a few UNLOADED firearms in the back seat, along with a loaded holstered one in the front, because I was on my way home back from the range and he thanked me for letting him know. He gave me the ticket, we had a nice discussion about firearms, tactics and favorite calibers and I left to go pick up my son at Kindergarten.

Many years ago before there was CWP in Florida I used to open carry a Jenning 22 pistol in a Uncle Mike belt holster while fishing under bridges at night for snook in Keys and Naples/Marcos area. I got kicked off bridges by deputies and fish cops but I never had problems for having pistol.

Unfortunately I have had city cops tell me to get out of the car so they can secure my pistol during the stop. One particular Broward cop had me get out of the car when I told her that I had a pistol on my belt. She said she wanted to secure the pistol during the stop and had me turn around while she took out the pistol from my IWB holster. I guess she had no experience with 1911 type pistol because a second after she took it out of my holster I heard my thumb safety click off :shock: I told her that she needed to be real careful because she just took the safety off and that the pistol will discharge if she applied 4 pounds of pressure on the trigger or if she dropped the pistol. I guess she got scared because she told me to turn around and unload the pistol. She gave me a lecture about carrying unsafe pistol and a speeding ticket. :x
IWB? How would the cop even know you were carrying a pistol?
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Maybe she simply understood him when he told her? :roll:
One particular Broward cop had me get out of the car when I told her that I had a pistol on my belt.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
rug357

Post by rug357 »

flcracker wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:30 am Maybe she simply understood him when he told her? :roll:
One particular Broward cop had me get out of the car when I told her that I had a pistol on my belt.
This was back around 1988 soon after I got my permit. When I took the mandatory CWP class we were told that when we were pulled over by LEO and they ask for license, registration and proof of insurance we should give the CWP too without saying we had a weapon and wait for the LEO to ask where it was located...and that's what I did and when she asked where it was located I told her it was in a holster on my belt.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

flcracker wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:30 am Maybe she simply understood him when he told her? :roll:

Why would he tell her? :roll:
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -