What the hell happened to DeSantis?

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Chigger

What the hell happened to DeSantis?

Post by Chigger »

Started off strong. Built a hell of a reputation switching back and forth between conservative and rino, went on the road and faded like a fart in the wind.
Is he really that big of an idiot or his campaign staff is brain dead?

And shouldn't he be trying to solve this insurance debacle on homes and cars?
TACC

Post by TACC »

He's trying to keep a low profile until he gets a chance to debate

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Chigger wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:50 am And shouldn't he be trying to solve this insurance debacle on homes and cars?
I would think thats a legislative issue, not an executive one. But maybe I'm wrong.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Yea but during the run up to a presidential election wouldn't it be wise if the governor of a state to throw a bone to your constituents especially since Florida has so many democrats.
It may be a legislative issue in the end, but a nod that he would sign a reform bill would be influential.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

NorincoKid wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:53 pm
Chigger wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:50 am And shouldn't he be trying to solve this insurance debacle on homes and cars?
I would think thats a legislative issue, not an executive one. But maybe I'm wrong.
It is Legislative but the Governor COULD be more vocal in calling for help from the Legislators regarding this BIG issue for Floridians!
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

45caldan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:53 am
NorincoKid wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:53 pm
It is Legislative but the Governor COULD be more vocal in calling for help from the Legislators regarding this BIG issue for Floridians!
I'm not 100% sure what the legislative solution to that problem would be though.

I'm not very well versed on the subject, but It was my understanding that these are individual company policies/terms, not something dictated by any statute in Florida law. IE, the insurance problem seems to be with some providers, and not others.

Some have raised rates tremendously. Some have pulled out of the state completely. Some haven't really changed at all (Progressive being an example, for automotive insurance the rates today are less than 3.5% higher than they were in 2015).

What law could be passed to fix this? Genuinely curious. State mandated price caps (based on some kind of assessment of value)? I'm not sure how the Government could apply price controls on something in the private sector.
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

Chigger wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:50 am Started off strong. Built a hell of a reputation switching back and forth between conservative and rino, went on the road and faded like a fart in the wind.
Is he really that big of an idiot or his campaign staff is brain dead?

And shouldn't he be trying to solve this insurance debacle on homes and cars?
Seriously. I am a BIG DeSantis fan but insurance is completely out of control. I havent had a claim *ever* on my home insurance and its 5400$ a year...
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

DeSantis could use the "Bully Pulpit" - judiciously - but there's not much he can do personally. Legislative reform only serves to make things worse for the individual, it seems. As far as his campaigning, it's a double edged sword. If he takes up too much time, the "other side" will make him out only to be a "local" and not a "National Candidate." If he takes too much of a national view, then he'll be accused of "abandoning his office." So, I'd just say, "Campaign nationally" but have perhaps tele-interview with as honest a media as he can find regarding Florida issues.

As far as Matt's insurance, find a good agent and shop it. Some companies want to double premiums. Some agents pull other crap, such as saying "that's the best I can find." and not really bothering. I've changed agents for that. I had a rate double - Universal Casualty & Property - had another agent shop it and go back to just a little more than it was before.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'll say STAY AWAY FROM Florida Peninsula insurance.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

The high property values and high construction prices in building boom don't help with this. A lot of this is going to correct itself when the market for real estate corrects. And when the market for building material corrects.

What we don't want is our state government subsidizing insurance companies. Or giving insurers protection from lawsuits, or in some other way reducing how much they have to pay out. Permanent solution to what may be a temporary problem.

But, yeah insurance sucks. Progressive canceled me because my roof was old- 2004 roof on a 2004 house. Brand new roof made it through the hurricanes unscathed. They reinstated me at $3600 for a 1200 sqft house. Going to be 20 years old and uninsurable next year.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I guess this thread turned into an insurance bashing thread, which is well deserved.

I don't know the answer, but I agree that any law that is passed will be for the benefit of the insurance lobby in Tally.

What did not help is all the friggin roofer/lawyer scam artists going door-to-door looking for you to sign a claim for them to go after your insurance company for "hail or other storm damage" to get you a new roof for your roof that is 25 years old and just plain needs to be replaced. Lots of idiots signed up and it takes years of litigation. Then they install a substandard roof to boot.

So the insurance companies either close up shop, or form subsidiaries which require your roof to be almost new to cover you.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!