Gun Rack

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
CallMeLTC

Gun Rack

Post by CallMeLTC » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:21 pm

Looked through the laws, and didn't see anything pertaining to a gun rack in the back of a pickup truck. If I wanted to put my 12ga, loaded, and on a rack in the back window, is it legal?

spam_can

Post by spam_can » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Not sure on the laws either.

Do know, though, that it's a really good way of getting stopped by John Wayne Jr on his first unsupervised patrol. He is unsure of the law, too.

It would also suck to come out of a store or someplace to find your back glass shattered, and the 12 ga (along with other things) absent from the truck. And guess what, nobody saw a thing.

I'll stick with "out of sight, out of mind".
never mistake education for intelligence

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:53 pm

unless you live way the hell out of town its not a good idea, you have to think why would the still manuf gun racks for the truck in mass quantities if if wasn't legal........... :-k

fishing poles ? :-k
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:24 pm

Yes, it's legal but not necessarily smart to do. Part of the relevant statute states -
790.25(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun [ie, a rifle or shotgun] anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.
You guys really need to stop being so cheap and go drop $25 on the book.

http://floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb ... .php?t=917

Moe
Last edited by mjmensale on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Oops! I never knew that! Will do. Thanks!

Moe
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

surfinusa

Post by surfinusa » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:28 pm

Its also legal in Florida to carry a handgun (loadeed or not) in your vehicle if you are 18 or older and it is securely encased.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:43 pm

and away from immediate reach
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

neeko

Post by neeko » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:22 pm

I believe the wording is not readily accessable. :smile

CallMeLTC

Post by CallMeLTC » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:35 pm

I never said anything about it being a good idea, I was just curious if I could. I wouldn't do it for the two reasons mentioned above, someone stealing it and an over zealous LEO. I was aware that I could have a gun in a vehicle securely encased, I just didn't know if in plain view and on a gun rack would fly.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:32 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:and away from immediate reach
Incorrect, sir. Weapon needs to EITHER be securely encased or not readily available for immediate use. Perfectly legal in a closed center console.

Like already stated GET THE FLORIDA FIREARMS BOOK, PEOPLE!!!
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:43 pm

CallMeLTC wrote:I never said anything about it being a good idea, I was just curious if I could...I just didn't know if in plain view and on a gun rack would fly.
It's perfectly legal in Florida. Your decision.

Cabela's http://www.cabelas.com/? sells gun racks that go over the seat backs or attach to the roof. New twist on an old standby.

Moe

viper522

Post by viper522 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:40 pm

hmmm AR15 in the rear window. bet that'd stop *some* tailgating =:s
David

aiming for the x-ring

HotShot308
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HotShot308 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:00 am

mjmensale wrote:
CallMeLTC wrote:I never said anything about it being a good idea, I was just curious if I could...I just didn't know if in plain view and on a gun rack would fly.
It's perfectly legal in Florida. Your decision.

Cabela's http://www.cabelas.com/? sells gun racks that go over the seat backs or attach to the roof. New twist on an old standby.

Moe
Thanks for the link Moe, I hadn't seen those big sky racks before. Now I can mount my M1A behind the seat in my dually!!!
HotShot308

"The founding fathers made the right to bear arms the second amendment for a reason. It's the one that protects all your other freedoms, which aren't worth the parchment they're printed on if you don't have the means to defend them." Penn Jillette

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:02 am

wakkoss wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:and away from immediate reach
Incorrect, sir. Weapon needs to EITHER be securely encased or not readily available for immediate use. Perfectly legal in a closed center console.

Like already stated GET THE FLORIDA FIREARMS BOOK, PEOPLE!!!
yea I get what you and Neeko are saying .....I dont have that gold book next to my crapper so I forgot what the wording was