How can I get a copy of police file?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
rug357

How can I get a copy of police file?

Post by rug357 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am

A member of family was killed in a possible carjacking attempt in 2005 while going home from work.
The perp didn't get the car and was never identified so the case was never solved.
It was investigated by the Miami-Dade police department but as far as we know the investigation never went anywhere.
I would like to get a copy of the case file if possible.

Anybody know if an unsolved murder case file can be released to victom's family?
Anybody know how I go about it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: How can I get a copy of police file?

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm going thru somethin similar right now trying to obtain a report, you need a case number and it has to be within 7 years, better hurry
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Sidewinder6
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Sidewinder6 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 pm

FLorida public records allows you the face sheet under FS 119.

They are going to hold back information that would help solve the case in the event information comes to light in the future.
Homicide cases do not have a statute of limitations.

You have to write a letter. They have 10 days to respond. You get what you ask for. If they deny for cause, they need to say why.
The State Attorney may have records on the case as well as the Medical Examiner.

TampaShooters
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TampaShooters » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Sidewinder6 wrote:FLorida public records allows you the face sheet under FS 119.

They are going to hold back information that would help solve the case in the event information comes to light in the future.
Homicide cases do not have a statute of limitations.

You have to write a letter. They have 10 days to respond. You get what you ask for. If they deny for cause, they need to say why.
The State Attorney may have records on the case as well as the Medical Examiner.
Under FS 119, you don't need to write a letter, you can request it any way you want (in person, calling, writing, including anonymously).

And since it is an open and ongoing case, they may deny parts or all of it. But, yes, they have to say why if they do.

I do them daily.
Member: NRA Lifetime & GSSF
Glock Armorer
U.S. Navy Veteran (Gator Navy)

Si vis pacem, para bellum