707hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

Discussions of all things with motors, wheels, wings and ?????
ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

707hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

Post by ParishM » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:38 pm

a Grand Cherokee with the 707hp supercharged Hellcat motor.
another opportunity for greedy dealers to add $20k-$30k "Market Adjustment"

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-j ... -info-news

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk: The World's Most Powerful SUV
The 707-hp Jeep is here, and it's everything we expected.

Dodge’s 707-hp Challenger and Charger Hellcat models are loud, instigate bad behavior, and can generate local, rubber-sourced cloud cover with merely a stab of their gas pedals. They’re the vehicular equivalents of a Daytona Beach spring-break hookup, the sort of ride that your dad might high-five you (behind Mom’s back) for buying. But what if there were a Hellcatted vehicle tame enough, relatively speaking, to bring home and introduce to Mother?

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is the third Fiat Chrysler vehicle to have the unhinged supercharged V-8 stuffed under its hood, and it’s the quiet Hellcat next door. Not literally, of course—have you heard a blown Hemi V-8 at full whack?—but with standard all-wheel drive mitigating the engine’s tire-spinning proclivities, plus its under-the-radar looks, the Trackhawk can at least pass for an upstanding citizen.

With more traction than any Hellcat yet, the Trackhawk has quite a lot of poke despite its pork—the engine adds 259 pounds over the already heavy 475-hp Grand Cherokee SRT. Nonetheless, Jeep claims it can reach 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. That time is on par with the nearly 1000-pounds-lighter, automatic-equipped Dodge Hellcats we’ve tested. (The quickest was the Charger, which reached 60 mph in 3.4 seconds.) Per Jeep, the quarter-mile is expected to fly by in 11.6 seconds (at 116 mph!), and, with no electronic governor, the Trackhawk is said to surrender to atmospheric resistance at 180 mph.

Demonic Possessions

Helping this SUV move out in a hurry is a Torque Reserve launch-control feature that briefly holds the supercharger bypass valve open while cutting spark and fuel to specific cylinders to limit torque before the brake is released. This widget is shared with the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, as is an A/C evaporator for cooling the intake charge.

The supercharged 6.2-liter Hemi V-8 is mostly left alone otherwise, right down to its forged pistons, sodium-filled exhaust valves, heavy-duty bearings, and blower pushing as much as 11.6 psi. Exhaust-routing complications reduce peak torque by a negligible 5 lb-ft, to 645. To keep the Hellcat from lunching the Trackhawk’s driveline, Jeep fortifies the eight-speed automatic transmission, fits forged chain sprockets and a wider chain in the transfer case, beefs up the rear driveshaft and half-shafts, and tweaks the rear differential.

In normal operation, the transfer case’s 40/60 front-to-rear torque split is the same as in the Grand Cherokee SRT; ditto the Sport mode’s 35/65 split, the Track setting’s 30/70 division, and Snow mode’s 50/50 apportionment. The Tow mode has a 60/40 split, but what’s more notable is the very idea that this Hellcat is rated to tow. It is! Owners can drag along up to 7200 pounds, which equates to either another Hellcat-powered creation or the weight of expectations for a Hellcat-powered SUV.

Outside the Engine Bay

According to Mopar’s performance catalog, the iron-block Hellcat V-8 engine and supercharger together weigh 800 pounds. That’s vastly heavier than the 6.4-liter Hemi in the Grand Cherokee SRT. To compensate for the Trackhawk’s additional mass, the engineers stiffened the front springs by 9 percent and the rears by 15 percent, and fiddled with the electronically adjustable Bilstein dampers. The only other chassis changes are wider front and rear tracks (by 1.3 inches and 0.1 inch) relative to the SRT, and 0.75-inch-larger front brake rotors. Like the optional Brembo brake package on the SRT, the Trackhawk’s front rotors are two-piece units gripped by six-piston calipers (here painted yellow instead of red).

Just as the regular SRT defies physics, posting 0.87 g on our skidpad and braking from 70 mph in 168 feet in a recent test, so, too, does the Trackhawk. Jeep’s claims for the beast’s grip around a skidpad of unspecified diameter (we use a 300-foot pad) and braking from 60 mph (we test from 70 mph) are 0.88 g and 114 feet. We gather from these figures that the Trackhawk should be as surprisingly capable as the SRT model is on a track, although drivers likely will experience higher speeds between corners.

For a Jeep with 707 horsepower, the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is remarkably incognito. Only a few badges that read “Supercharged” and “Trackhawk,” as well as the Hellcat-specific yellow brake calipers, quad exhaust outlets instead of two, and exclusive 20-inch wheels set the Trackhawk apart from the SRT. Airflow requirements for the engine also dictated the deletion of the SRT’s fog lights from the outboard front intakes.

Inside, only a winged Trackhawk badge on the steering wheel sets the mightiest Jeep apart—well, that and the 200-mph speedo. The same active noise cancellation, stitched-leather dashboard and door panel coverings, Berber carpets, and 8.4-inch Uconnect infotainment display as the SRT are included. (Jeep adds a dyno function for instantaneous horsepower and torque readouts to Uconnect’s Performance Pages app.) Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard, as well, for anyone who cares about such things when purchasing a 707-hp SUV. Ditto the adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, parking sensors, lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning. Then again, this equipment ought to be included, given that the Trackhawk is expected to cost somewhere around $80,000.

Somehow, even with so many big numbers floating around in this Jeep’s speech bubble, its arrival borders on the mundane. We’ve been waiting years for the Hellcat to find its way into the Grand Cherokee’s engine bay. Now it’s here. The flatness with which that realization hits is partly the fault of the Hellcat’s normalization, the feeling that, three years after the engine’s debut, 707-hp mainstream vehicles are a part of everyday life. After all, there’s now an even more powerful version of this V-8 in the 10th-circle-of-hell Challenger Demon.

Easily lost in all of this is the Trackhawk’s hegemony over the SUV dominion. Move over, Bentley Bentayga, any Porsche Cayenne, and even the weirdest versions of Mercedes-Benz’s G-class—the most powerful SUV in the world, by far, wears a Jeep badge. That alone brings some of the Hellcat’s original aura of crazy to the Trackhawk, even if it can’t spin those big tires the way its Dodge siblings can unless it’s chained to something. The sensible Hellcat? Better to call it the least crazy Hellcat, or the wildest production Jeep ever.

I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Re: 707hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

Post by dieselbeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:35 pm

nobody can fix that
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:59 pm

personally i'd prefer a new Escalade with a big Whipple supercharger,
but a 4x4 with 707hp could be fun !

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:23 am

Does more horsepower mean that is also leaks oil at a proportionally increased rate? [smilie=011.gif]

Oil-stained driveways. It's a Jeep thing.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:49 pm

love the horsepower but that interior is cheap and dated.....

look at the new Volvo XC90

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:16 pm

I like it!
Go Trump!

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Now if they'd just make the hellcat charger/challenger AWD so joe can'tdriveforshit can actually do a 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds with one.
Can't tell you how many guys I've seen at the track on stock tires consistently run 13's or high 12's if they're lucky in a car they will tell everyone can do low 11's. Different story with drag radials of course... but we're talking stock here.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:15 pm

kmagnuss wrote:Now if they'd just make the hellcat charger/challenger AWD so joe can'tdriveforshit can actually do a 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds with one.
Can't tell you how many guys I've seen at the track on stock tires consistently run 13's or high 12's if they're lucky in a car they will tell everyone can do low 11's. Different story with drag radials of course... but we're talking stock here.

high torque muscle cars have suffered from this for 50 years, a good
set of drag radials and experience can make a huge difference !

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:04 am

ParishM wrote:
kmagnuss wrote:Now if they'd just make the hellcat charger/challenger AWD so joe can'tdriveforshit can actually do a 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds with one.

high torque muscle cars have suffered from this for 50 years, a good
set of drag radials and experience can make a huge difference !
I know this... I just laugh at the guys that have them that say "my car runs 0-60 in 3.2 seconds" and then they get smoked stoplight to stoplight by an accord. Dodge needs to put AWD in them and they'd have a real burner and guys could actually see those numbers on street tires. I know a guy who got 1100 miles out of his rear tires! 1100 miles!

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:34 am

some of the fastest cars in the world are AWD, Nissan GTR, Porsche
911 Turbo S, Lambo's, Ferrari FF

TeeJay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TeeJay » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Good job dodge! They are doing a great job of killing off the fools with more money than driving skills. Idiots will be dying on the reg with these 700+hp vehicles. If you take the nanny bull S off, it can be a real challenge keeping 250-300 real horsepower in line, especially when its wet in a light vehicle.

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Eh... 700 hp in an AWD vehicle is surprisingly controllable. In a 2wd not so much without drag radials.

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:28 pm

At the end of the day its still a dodge! :ham'r For what that will cost i rather get a skyline. The only competition they get are the high horsepower lambos tt.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 pm

cubanstang50 wrote:At the end of the day its still a dodge! :ham'r For what that will cost i rather get a skyline. The only competition they get are the high horsepower lambos tt.

very true, in 40 years no one will even remember it unlike a classic
GTX or Dart !

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Thu May 04, 2017 1:29 am

cubanstang50 wrote:At the end of the day its still a dodge! :ham'r For what that will cost i rather get a skyline. The only competition they get are the high horsepower lambos tt.
I agree I'd rather have a skyline... but to think the only competition they get is tt lambos is a little untrue. Plenty of 1,000 hp cars out there that can hook up on the street... supras, 2jz s2000's, big turbo k24 civics (not kidding), ctsv, zl1 camaros, modded c6/c7 vettes, tt viper, tt coyote mustangs, etc etc...
Check out videos on youtube from "1320video"... he has tons of quality street car races on there.
But I'd still love a skyline... r32, r33, r34 (the one I'd want the most) and of course the r35. I'm going to have to scratch that itch one of these days.

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 am

kmagnuss wrote:
I agree I'd rather have a skyline... but to think the only competition they get is tt lambos is a little untrue. Plenty of 1,000 hp cars out there that can hook up on the street... supras, 2jz s2000's, big turbo k24 civics (not kidding), ctsv, zl1 camaros, modded c6/c7 vettes, tt viper, tt coyote mustangs, etc etc...
Check out videos on youtube from "1320video"... he has tons of quality street car races on there.
But I'd still love a skyline... r32, r33, r34 (the one I'd want the most) and of course the r35. I'm going to have to scratch that itch one of these days.

Agreed, seen all them videos lol. But i seem to see more of the 1500+hp to be more of the competition for the r35s.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Thu May 04, 2017 9:07 am

you're talking serious money for those 1000+ hp GTR's, the
Alpha 12 kit is about $100K and the Alpha Omega kit is
$220K plus the price of the GTR.

the Omega GTR runs a 7.5 @ 190mph

TeeJay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TeeJay » Thu May 04, 2017 4:52 pm

http://www.rivsuimports.com/about
This shop is importing skylines, they are a block or so from my office. Im a nissan guy already, literally the only auto brand i have owned. I drool over the rivsu import cars whenever i see them around. They drive them to get lunch and im sure the employees own some.

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Fri May 05, 2017 7:55 pm

I will have a skyline someday... r32, 33, or 34... I don't care. I don't even care if it's a GTR... But I will have a skyline someday.

TeeJay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TeeJay » Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 pm

When i checked their website a while ago there was a few non-turbo skylines for seriously reasonable prices. Also they had some of the old small original ones. Super cool.

But as far as the overpowered dodges go.. how about 18 miles until wrecked?

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/05/05/ ... miles.html