New car

Discussions of all things with motors, wheels, wings and ?????
Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

New car

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:32 pm

Looking to replace my camry. I have back problems and am thinking an SUV or truck that I can step up into will help. I have favored toyotas the past twenty years, having had three good experiences so far. But I am not married to a brand.

I do not drive much, live close to work (can walk if I have to), so fuel efficiency is pretty low on the list of wants. Ease of entry/exit (due to the back) is high up on the list--otherwise I will keep the camry. Would like to keep the replacement vehicle under 30k. Not married to new or used, but will get a bit wary of vehicles over 100k. I'm of average height, but rotund. I can drive standard or auto. Not interested in towing anything, but reasonable cargo/trunk space is needed.

So, anyone have a favorite ride that they would recommend based on the above?
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Re: New car

Post by g.willikers » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:26 am

I have a 2014 Ford Transit Connect.
And would recommend it very highly.
Not to be confused with the earlier versions of the same name.
Completely different vehicle and really dumb of Ford.
Mine is an empty van version, but their higher end passenger types are very impressive.
Decent enough gas mileage, very comfy on my aging back, lots of interior room, and enough get up and go for normal use.
Not all that expensive, either, especially as compared to Toyota.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:10 pm

I have a 2013 4Runner that I love. Has a good height and has been trouble free. Takes me everywhere I want to go.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:Looking to replace my camry. I have back problems and am thinking an SUV or truck that I can step up into will help. I have favored toyotas the past twenty years, having had three good experiences so far. But I am not married to a brand.

I do not drive much, live close to work (can walk if I have to), so fuel efficiency is pretty low on the list of wants. Ease of entry/exit (due to the back) is high up on the list--otherwise I will keep the camry. Would like to keep the replacement vehicle under 30k. Not married to new or used, but will get a bit wary of vehicles over 100k. I'm of average height, but rotund. I can drive standard or auto. Not interested in towing anything, but reasonable cargo/trunk space is needed.

So, anyone have a favorite ride that they would recommend based on the above?
Looking to buy or lease? New or used?

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:16 pm

Buy, not lease. New or used doesn't matter, as I posted.

I test drove a used 2006 BMW 750i, and looked at the 2015 Hyundai Santa Fee, 2017 Toyota Rav4 and 2017 Tacoma. The Tacoma was over my budget, though. May end up with a Rav4 XLE though as the price is good, and the 0% interest financing is nice, too.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:Buy, not lease. New or used doesn't matter, as I posted.

I test drove a used 2006 BMW 750i, and looked at the 2015 Hyundai Santa Fee, 2017 Toyota Rav4 and 2017 Tacoma. The Tacoma was over my budget, though. May end up with a Rav4 XLE though as the price is good, and the 0% interest financing is nice, too.
Gotcha. All the cars my parents, brother, or I have driven past 15-20 years all been leases so I have no clue what going rate to own cars are now. Always been a lease family.

Can't go wrong with any used Toyota

wcontratto
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by wcontratto » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Lotta good deals on new (last year's) 2016 Taurus out there.