Remington 597

Everything regarding .22 pistols, revolvers and rifles.
louiethelump
Life Member
Life Member

Remington 597

Post by louiethelump » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:36 am

Does anyone have any input good or bad on the Remington 597 rifles??
Louie the lump
NRA Life
American

stoneknives

Re: Remington 597

Post by stoneknives » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 am

Generally a better shooter out of the box than a Ruger, the newer ones as good OOTBox as a Marlin.
Easy to completely field strip like a Ruger. Good for about 250-300 rounds before a cleaning YMMV the Ruger and Marlins will generally go 500-600 (a whole Appleseed weekend)
Trigger is better than usual Ruger and Marlin OOTBox.
Much better rear sight than the Ruger and Marlin.

The mags are tight and tough to load at first usually requiring a break-in period and when you clean them make sure you put the spring in right.
The biggest reliability problem are easy fixes.
1st Bolt Drag causing missfeds ...to fix you snug the in action rods/boltguides then back off 1/4 turn the action rod. This lets the rods float a bit and not bind.
2nd week bolt hold back spring ... fix just stretch the spring a smite or replace. They are cheep and easy to replace.

freezerman1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freezerman1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:16 pm

stoneknives wrote:Generally a better shooter out of the box than a Ruger, the newer ones as good OOTBox as a Marlin.
Easy to completely field strip like a Ruger. Good for about 250-300 rounds before a cleaning YMMV the Ruger and Marlins will generally go 500-600 (a whole Appleseed weekend)
Trigger is better than usual Ruger and Marlin OOTBox.
Much better rear sight than the Ruger and Marlin.

The mags are tight and tough to load at first usually requiring a break-in period and when you clean them make sure you put the spring in right.
The biggest reliability problem are easy fixes.
1st Bolt Drag causing missfeds ...to fix you snug the in action rods/boltguides then back off 1/4 turn the action rod. This lets the rods float a bit and not bind.
2nd week bolt hold back spring ... fix just stretch the spring a smite or replace. They are cheep and easy to replace.
Same experiences, magazines can be hit or miss.

quik225

Post by quik225 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:47 am

The gen 3 mags (the best) have a small circled 10 on them, I've had good luck with them. Gen 1 mags were plastic. The basic design is better than the 10/22, it suffered a bad reputation when they were released because they didn't have a reliable mag, 3rd gen mags seemed to have cleared that up. The plastic aftermarket high cap mags, even with the Remington brand on them, are still hit or miss.

Price for the entry level models, 10/22 vs 597, is lower for the 597.

Aftermarket parts aren't anywhere near as plentiful as the 10/22.
A VQ hammer and McCarbo spring kit can get the trigger pull down to as low as 2.5lb.

Even though I'm a terrible shot, I have better luck at the range with a stock 597 than I do a stock 10/22 carbine.

stoneknives

Post by stoneknives » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:14 am

Only use CIRCLE 10 mags for reliability. They still require a short break in and when you clean them make sure you put the spring back in the same way.

I've stopped taking them apart for cleaning. I soak them in a plastic safe engine degreasing soap, then rinse with hot water then a quick sprit's with a little graphite dry lube. Good to go.

louiethelump
Life Member
Life Member

Post by louiethelump » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks for the pointers and input. I am supposed to get my 597 today, so you have all been helpful.
Louie the lump
NRA Life
American

stoneknives

Post by stoneknives » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:39 am

When you get the 597 set up bring it out to a Project Appleseed shoot and give her a good break it. /:f