Marlin 60 what am I doing wrong

Everything regarding .22 pistols, revolvers and rifles.
Richard2003
Life Member
Life Member

Marlin 60 what am I doing wrong

Post by Richard2003 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 am

I bought a new marlin model 60 recently. And today I was just seeing how to load it as I've never had one of these or one like it. So I unscrewed the tube and I saw where you load it. The bolt is back I went to screw the tube back in and I can't push it down all the way I can't push it enough to lock it into place. I did not load it but now I can't lock it into place. Am I doing something wrong here? I don't want to push it as hard as I can because I am afraid I will break the plastic end piece.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Marlin 60 what am I doing wrong

Post by czharry » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Bolt is back?
Release tension on loading tube, take out a few cartridge and the jammed cartridge, release bolt, reload a few and try again.
The manual, I think, says bolt open, so try with fewer rounds. Twist the knurled knob back & forth between finger and thumb as you insert it back in the tube.
I think I remember mine held 14 or so rounds.
There's a storm coming.

Richard2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Richard2003 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:23 pm

I never loaded it.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Richard2003 wrote:I never loaded it.
I did not load it but now I can't lock it into place.
Sorry, reading comprehension is down. I missed that.

Close the bolt & try again.
There's a storm coming.

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Did the red plastic mag follower get stuck? Remove mag. tube insert completely and make sure it retracts into brass tube easily and re-insert. Also, i if it has a lost-shot bolt hold-open lever, release bolt with it and work the action again to reset lifter.... that should do it, i think! Let us know, Jim
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

Big_Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Big_Mike » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:06 am

jmikeb653 wrote:Did the red plastic mag follower get stuck? Remove mag. tube insert completely and make sure it retracts into brass tube easily and re-insert. Also, i if it has a lost-shot bolt hold-open lever, release bolt with it and work the action again to reset lifter.... that should do it, i think! Let us know, Jim

Yup, I think the only 2 things it could be is a canted/jammed up follower or hitting the lifter. Like JMikeB653 says.
Deo Favente Perennis.

dys·gen·ic [ dis jénnik ] - 1.detrimental to future generations: affecting later generations detrimentally by passing on undesirable characteristics

Richard2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Richard2003 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 pm

I did that and it still won't go in enough to lock it. It is about a mm short.

jmikeb653 wrote:Did the red plastic mag follower get stuck? Remove mag. tube insert completely and make sure it retracts into brass tube easily and re-insert. Also, i if it has a lost-shot bolt hold-open lever, release bolt with it and work the action again to reset lifter.... that should do it, i think! Let us know, Jim

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:09 pm

All very odd. Hope it's not broke someplace. Would you feel comfortable putting in a couple of rounds to see if it will close & cycle the bolt?
There's a storm coming.

Richard2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Richard2003 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 pm

only if I was at the range and can't get there for several days.
czharry wrote:All very odd. Hope it's not broke someplace. Would you feel comfortable putting in a couple of rounds to see if it will close & cycle the bolt?

EDinFL

Post by EDinFL » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:14 pm

How many rounds do you have in the magazine? The new model 60's hold 14 rounds. You should see about half a bullet in the cutout on the magazine tube.

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Richard2003 wrote:I did that and it still won't go in enough to lock it. It is about a mm short.

I took my Model 60 [ 1998 mfg. with the bolt hold open ] to the range today to see if i could replicate your issue, and the only way i could was by overfilling the mag. tube. Other than that the only other things i can think of is a dimpled/dented mag. tube back by the reciever, [ you will need to take the stock off ] or slightly bent follower, [ the brass tube ] or finally, perhaps the mag. tube support out by the muzzle has been whacked off center [ it can slide in the dovetail ] and is causing internal binding at the reciever end.... hope this helps, Jim
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

Richard2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Richard2003 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Well I got it fixed. It turns out there was a small burr on the other side of where it rotates into the slot and that was stopping it.