shooting sling on a Ruger 10/22 takedown?

Everything regarding .22 pistols, revolvers and rifles.
birdman
Life Member
Life Member

shooting sling on a Ruger 10/22 takedown?

Post by birdman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:09 pm

I bought myself a Ruger 10/22 takedown for Christmas this year. I've mounted a 4x scope on it & am very pleased with the groups off a rest (about 2MOA) with cheap promotional ammo. Although shooting off a rest is sort of fun, in that you get to test/improve your breath control & trigger control, it's not very practical from a hunting perspective. I want to add a shooting sling to it for prone & sitting positions (and probably off hand as well truth be known). I currently have the rifle zeroed at 20 yds (bullet still rising) and 50 yds (bullet now falling) & the bullets impact about 5" low at 100yds (not that I'd ever shoot at something at that distance with a .22lr.)

My question to the group is how much deflection of the POI should I expect when using the sling as opposed to when I'm not using the sling? On a rifle with a free floating barrel the sling attaches to the forestock &, if bedded correctly, should not affect the barrel, and hence POI, at all. On the Ruger "take-down" the forestock is attached to the barrel, not solidly to the receiver, so my concern is the tug on the forestock by the sling will put downward pressure on the barrel near its mid-point, thus moving the muzzle slightly lower. The scope is attached to the receiver so it would not move due to the increased tension from the sling.

Anyone actually try this with a 10/22 takedown?

Am I wasting my time with this idea? Am I trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? I'm really liking this rifle (the last 10/22 I owned sucked big time.)

Thanks guys... Looking forward to your words of wisdom.

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

M14man
Life Member
Life Member

Re: shooting sling on a Ruger 10/22 takedown?

Post by M14man » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:18 pm

I don't think your poi will change very much, may actually shoot a little lower since the sling will impede the natural upward recoil; although that recoil is minor. Using a sling though, should actually decrease group size since it will minimize some 'wobble'.