New Ruger American Rimfire rifle

Everything regarding .22 pistols, revolvers and rifles.
rug357

New Ruger American Rimfire rifle

Post by rug357 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Has anybody seen the new Ruger American rimfire rifle yet?
I've been reading a lot of good things about them on the internet but would like to hear from somebody who has actually fired one.
If it's as good as everybody claims they are then I'll have to get one... maybe a second one in 22 mag too.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

bigtimspawn

Re: New Ruger American Rimfire rifle

Post by bigtimspawn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:28 pm

I've had 2 in the store lately, quality Ruger weapon. Have not fired it personally but looks nice.....http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/s ... 54&b1.y=14
Tim Russell
Big Tim's Pawn
5193 73rd Ave N
Pinellas Park, Fl. 33781
727-828-1388 fax 727-828-1390
Tranfer Form http://www.bigtimspawn.com/pinellas-paw ... -transfer/
FFL http://www.bigtimspawn.com/pinellas-paw ... 013FFL.pdf
Daily Deal Email 1 free transfer when you signup http://eepurl.com/Ei1qr

louiethelump
Life Member
Life Member

Post by louiethelump » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:02 pm

I just shot the compact model 22 magnum I picked up from my dealer last evening. I am not a rifle shooter and need to get back into practice, but I really like this one. The action was a little stiff for the first magazine full in feeding that is, but it smoothed up quickly. I put a 2.5 power scope in the groove mount (want to get screw on mounts but that is what I had for now. Rifle is drilled and tapped for Weaver #12 bases) and sighted it in for 25 yards off hand and have not shot any rested groups. I was using Winchester Dyna Point and have not experimented with anything else yet. I LIKE IT! It is not fancy, but very solid feeling, made of blued steel and of course a plastic molded stock. Barrel is free floated all the way and has a great trigger that is adjustable. The magazine is a little sticky and you need to give it a touch from the top for it to fall free. I can see where the plastic magazine is touching the side of the plastic stock around the well, so if it does not stop soon and light touch with a file should free that up. I just ordered a new magazine on EBay as it was cheaper there than from Ruger when you count shipping. Two magazines for the 22 magnum should be enough. (wonder how it will work with CCI snake shot?)

I want to get another one with the full length barrel in 22lr to shoot with iron sights and see if it will feed 22 shorts out of my 22 short Volquartsen magazine from my 10/22 short 10/22. If it will, the locked action and long barrel should make it very quiet with 22 short ammo (that I have a lot of) for yard varmints and fun shooting without scaring the dogs.

A++ from my opinion.
Louie the lump
NRA Life
American

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:14 pm

I was all about one until they decided they wont let it take 10/22 mags and then gave some lame ass excuse as to why. Its greed period as they want you to have to buy more mags, nice rifle though
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

louiethelump
Life Member
Life Member

Post by louiethelump » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:08 pm

IT DOES take 10/22 mags.

Did someone say it did not? Ruger says it does and shows the same magazine for both.
Louie the lump
NRA Life
American

Ardeekay

Post by Ardeekay » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Louie...lump... A suggestion.. get some CCI "quiet" 22LR, I use them in my Ruger amer. compact, and they are quiet, and very accurate..at 50 feet I'm getting a ragged little hole for 5 shots..and they function fine in the issue magazine... ardeekay

louiethelump
Life Member
Life Member

Post by louiethelump » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:55 pm

So you are suggesting the use of 22 lr in a rifle chambered for 22 magnum?

I don't think that is a good idea at all.

I don't have a Ruger American in 22 lr or in 22 magnum as I sold them both, but one should never shoot 22 lr in a 22 magnum rifle.

I shoot outside in the woods so the loudness is not an issue to me, but thanks anyway.

Louie
Louie the lump
NRA Life
American

Ardeekay

Post by Ardeekay » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 pm

OOPS... my mistake.. you have the mag. I should read closer... ardeekay

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Ardeekay wrote:OOPS... my mistake.. you have the mag. I should read closer... ardeekay

you should have looked at the date of the last post [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:10 pm

The compact on sale today at PSA for $200, supposedly comes with a 25 round mag.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:45 pm

i love mine
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein