Need help picking a .22 pistol

Everything regarding .22 pistols, revolvers and rifles.
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Need help picking a .22 pistol

Post by Gregh181 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Need help deciding on a new .22 handgun. Not looking as much for a Ruger Mark. I've been looking at Sig Mosquitos and some 1911 models on buds. I've never owned a .22 pistol before so I don't have much to go back on. Just gonna use it for plinking at the range and to have some fun. Would like it to be accurate though.
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Need help picking a .22 pistol

Post by Dave P » Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Buckmarks are very smooth.
Go Trump!

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Are those similar in design to the Rugers?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Fri May 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Gregh181 wrote:Are those similar in design to the Rugers?

No for the most part. That said the Ruger 22/45 has a similar cant as most Brownings. The regular Ruger MK II or III has more cant, more like a some of the more expensive target guns. Both Browning and Ruger's cost more or less the same, pending on model.

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Fri May 04, 2012 7:22 pm

For me Mosquitos are hit or miss. Some function well some function bad. I have an GSG 1911 along with a few guys at the range. They have worked pretty decent.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Is there anything in .22 comparible to the Sig Mosquito?

NRA Benefactor Member

TheHobbiest
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TheHobbiest » Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 pm

I bought and took to the range today the M&P 22 and the SIG mosquito today. Trigger feel and weight goes to mosquito (its very balanced) M&P is sooo accurate and eats federal 550 like nothing else I've shot. If I was to just buy one gun I'd buy the M&P 22lr
Its soooo pro.
John Hancock

Kory
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kory » Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm

I just bought the walther p22 and I like it a lot. I had looked at a lot of models but when it came down to quality (look and feel) and being able to suppress it I went for the p22
Kory
Tampa fl

racer88

Post by racer88 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 pm

The new Ruger SR22 is getting high marks and rave reviews (including my own). I've got about 600 rounds through mine without a single malfunction. Mostly Federal Champion 550 bulk box and some CCI minimags. No exaggeration... not a single hiccup.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:52 pm

The P-22, Ruger SR .22 and the m &p .22 are what I'm pretty much looking for. Gotta do some research on the 3 and compare.

I do have a Kimber 5 inch .45 that I could just get the .22 conversion kit for too.

NRA Benefactor Member

onebigelf

Post by onebigelf » Sat May 05, 2012 6:53 am

I haven't shot the new Ruger, but love the Ruger Mks.

It depends on what you want. The Ruger and the Browning are going to be accurate and reliable and they'll eat just about any ammo you feed them.

The Sig, Walther, etc. will LOOK cooler, more like a modern carry handgun, but my experience with them is that they are much more finicky about ammo. You are going to have to find out what they like and stick with it. If you get one and it's a jamm-a-matic, don't automatically assume it's a problem with the gun. I usually recommend starting with a box or 2 of CCI Mini-mags which seem to be the gold-standard for feeding and functioning in a .22. Once you've established that the gun functions, then try finding something cheaper it'll also feed for general plinking.

John

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Sat May 05, 2012 8:35 am

No matter which one you choose, you will quickly find that .22s are so much fun and so useful, that you will most likely start a collection.
So, don't over think which one to start off with.
In short order you will have lots of them.
Just pick any one from a major manufacturer, and make room in the safe for more.
I'm kind of drooling over this one:
http://olyarms.net/index.php?option=com ... 0&Itemid=5

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:40 pm

Went out today to Shoot Straight to look at my different options. I narrowed it down to either the Walther P22 or the Ruger SR 22. I was about to get the P22 when I noticed it came with two extra front sites with it. I also noticed that the front site already on it was higher than the rear when the sights were lined up. Further playing with it I found that you can almost flick off with your finger the front site and that was a real deal breaker for me. Its a shame because the gun itself felt great in my hands.

So I ended up buying the SR 22 for $375. I'm impressed so far, it comes with an extra backstrap with it that I really like and it really does feel almost exactly the same as the P22. One odd thing though about the gun and i had them look at all 5 of their SR22 they had, all of their front sites were slightly yellow in color which is a little odd but in the end as long as the sights are spot on I dont care too much.

NRA Benefactor Member

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Tue May 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Gregh181 wrote:............... I could just get the .22 conversion kit for too.
My vote goes for this. I have .22 conversions for my 1911s and absolutely love them. My gun, my trigger, my feel, same manual of arms. The only issue I have with mine (Ciener and Kimber) is the lack of last round slide lock. TacSol makes one with the function though for the same price roughly as the Kimber.

I can train with it all day and shoot 500 rounds of .22 for less than cost of 1 box of 50 in .45.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

GLoCKeYeD
Life Member
Life Member

Post by GLoCKeYeD » Tue May 15, 2012 7:48 pm

im a ruger fan. lots of aftermarket, long history, and for the M-Fin' "ultimate clip loader"

it works on the buckmark too.
The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:48 am

If you are not absolutely stuck on purchasing a new weapon, you might consider an S&W model 422. I purchased one last year and must say it has been an absolute joy. It is far more accurate than I am and functions perfectly. The only drawback that I have had is that around 350 to 400 rounds of continuious shooting, it will start to have cycling difficulties due to needing cleaning (using bulk ammo). S&W does recommend cleaning at 400 rounds according to the owners manual. If I had the plenty of money I would buy everyone I could lay my hands on. That's my .02 cents, hope it helps. /:f

ilsrwy27
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ilsrwy27 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:38 pm

I really like the CZ 75B Kadet as a gun or a conversion kit for the CZ75B.
In my experience Sig Mosquitos need to run specific ammo to run 'reliably'. Kind of...
The S&W revolvers in .22 are great too but a tad more expensive.

Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Lilwoody » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Have you ever shot a S&W mod 41. They are on the used market for about twice what you are looking at but they are every bit worth it. New they are around 1000 or so. I bought one about 30 years ago for 325 that was about 10 years old and at the time it was about double what a new Rugar Mark I was but after all these years it's still as dependable and accurate as it was when I bought it. All my friends and my sons call it the "hand rifle". It a lot to spend but it's worth it.

spikes40
Life Member
Life Member

Post by spikes40 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:56 am

i have a walther p-22 that i have had for 8 years now...feeds 100% evertime suppressed and unsuppressed, my gsg 1911 is flawless.. the ruger 10/22 rifle speaks for itself and the Sig 522 is an accurate and amazingly fun shooter.. I recommend all of the above. as well as all are suppressor ready
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Please visit and Like my Police Supply Page at http://www.facebook.com/ADLPoliceSupplies
http://www.ADLPoliceSupplies.com

black_coupe

Post by black_coupe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Just wondering if any other Ruger SR22 owners have any problems feeding remington bulk? Finally took my SR22 to the range and kept having issues with the remington and federal bulk ammo.