Adam Putnam

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
BIG JOE

Adam Putnam

Post by BIG JOE » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:01 pm

I thought the news media did not use facts any more. They just make stuff up.

The media isn't getting it right and anti-gun Democrats don't want to get it right -- for some, it's all about attacking a candidate for political reasons. This issue is extremely important to all firearms owners and license holders. Truth and facts matter, so here is what really happened.

THE FACTS:

The Division of Licensing under the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DOACS) did, in fact, do background checks on applicants for licenses to carry concealed weapons or firearms.

Background checks were done through FCIC (Florida Criminal Information Computer system) and NCIC (National Criminal Information Computer system -- the national FBI fingerprint data base) and they also did a NICS check (National Instant Check System), which is the name-based background check system.

The NICS system is the same system used by retail firearms dealers to do background checks when a person buys a firearm.

ALL THREE BACKGROUND CHECKS WERE DONE.

During the time the employee failed to do her job, approximately 350,000 applicants for carry licenses were processed. Of those 350,000, 365 had a disqualifier based on the NICS background check.

The employee should have uploaded those 365 into the internal computer system to stop the processing of those applications. She did not. So those 365 applicants got their licenses anyhow.

Although they got their licenses to CARRY firearms, they still would not have been allowed to purchase a firearm from a firearms dealer because the same NICS background check would have been performed by a dealer and would have stopped them from purchasing a firearm.

A license to carry does not exempt a person from the background check required when you purchase a firearm. The license ONLY exempts a license holder from the 3-day waiting period.

When the Division discovered the problem, the employee was let go. The Division then ran new background checks on all 365 applicants who initially had NICS name-based disqualifiers. Of those 365, 74 were cleared and 291 still had disqualifiers, so their licenses to carry firearms were immediately suspended.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS. The facts don't fit narrative being pushed by the anti-gun political opponents of the Commissioner of Agriculture, Adam Putnam, who is a candidate for Governor.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Adam Putnam

Post by Dave M » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Big Joe,

All good info, but what did I miss that this whole thing was brought up?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:08 pm

Dave M wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:54 pm
Big Joe,

Some Tampa Bay newspaper ran a hit piece on Putnam over how for years he was issuing CCWs without doing background checks.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:17 pm

That's a good question Dave. My take on this is because he is running for governor. When you are a politician this kind of [smilie=042.gif] Comes with the territory. Just my .02
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by avmech » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:15 am

Big Joe, what is your source? I ask because, as you know, no one down my way is bothering to do any checking, they just spew their crap. Thanks!

camacho

Post by camacho » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 am

avmech wrote:Big Joe, what is your source? I ask because, as you know, no one down my way is bothering to do any checking, they just spew their crap. Thanks!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-reg ... story.html

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:57 am

Looks like stupid incompetence by worker and her supervisor. I suspect they'll be canned when the usual civil service process is complete.
Our local rag, a mouthpiece for the NY Times, Washington Post and extreme leftists world-wide, wrote up a story as if this was some sort of horrible danger to the public. Not so, even if you incorrectly assume that "background checks" really do much at all.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politic ... 7496d25e2e

Putnam blasts Times report, but acknowledges office’s failure to review background checks
The agriculture commissioner says 291 people received concealed weapons permits that shouldn't have, but his office has revoked them.)
By Steve Contorno Yesterday

SUN CITY CENTER — Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam on Saturday said a Tampa Bay Times report that his office didn't background check concealed weapons applicants for non-criminal offenses for more than a year was "flat wrong and misleading."

But he acknowledged that an employee in his office failed to review the results of those background checks, which led to 291 people receiving permits who were not supposed to have them. Putnam's office has since revoked those permits, he said.

"This was a very serious issue," said Putnam, a Republican candidate for governor. "We took immediate action."

On Friday, the Times reported that the state of Florida failed to conduct national background checks on tens of thousands of applications but should have more precisely stated that the background checks were not reviewed, which is an essential part of the approval process.

Last year, an Office of Inspector General investigation found that in February 2016 the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services was not using results from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System that ensures applicants who want to carry a gun do not have a disqualifying history in other states.

The employee in charge of reviewing the background checks could not log into the system in April 2016, the investigator learned, and then stopped trying to gain access. The problem went unresolved until discovered by another worker in March 2017.

During that time, 349,923 people applied for concealed weapons permits, Putnam said. All of them were run through three different background check systems — two criminal databases that use a fingerprint check and the NICS system, which uses personal identifying information to determine if someone is ineligible due to a drug use conviction, if they are an undocumented immigrant, they were involuntarily committed or were dishonorably discharged from the military.

But the NICS system flagged 365 concealed weapons permit applications as potentially ineligible and the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services approved them anyway. Putnam said his office later determined that 291 people received permits who shouldn't have.

Putnam blamed the employee, who he called "negligent and deceptive" for not acting on the results of the background check. He said he ordered the inspector general investigation immediately after he was informed about the problem.

That employee, a former mailroom worker, told the Times she was under pressure to quickly process applications and questioned why she was put in charge of this.

The investigation indicated that the department may not have had a backup system to ensure the task was completed. The only other employee who regularly accessed NICS data was a mailroom supervisor who was barely trained in the system, the report stated.

Department employees interviewed in the investigation called the NICS checks "extremely important," the report said, and if it came out they weren't accessed, "this could cause an embarrassment to the agency."
Putnam asserted that "no one's safety was at risk" because those 291 people would not have been able to purchase a firearm.

Democrats reacted swiftly to news of the inspector general report, with some calling for further investigation and others for Putnam to resign. All five Democratic gubernatorial candidates — Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum, former U.S. Rep. Gwen Graham, Palm Beach developer Jeff Greene, Orlando-area businessman Chris King and former Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine — said Putnam should consider dropping out of the governor's race.

Putnam gave no indication Saturday he was even considering it. At a campaign rally in Sun City Center, Putnam energized a crowd of supporters with his conservative platform and folksy charm, dropping references to Interstate 75 traffic and SEC football rivalries.

Meanwhile, in Pensacola, Putnam's Republican primary opponent, U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis, held a rare campaign event where he for the first time responded to the inspector general report, calling it "very concerning."

"It seemed like he wasn't minding the store when we needed him to be there," DeSantis told reporters afterward. "I also want to know why, if this report was done a year ago, why are we just now finding out about this?"

Asked why he did not inform the public when he learned about this a year ago, Putnam reiterated he acted quickly to revoke licenses and change the department's practices so it wouldn't happen again. Now, he said, there are more "eyeballs" making sure the work is complete and a "more seamless technology transfer" of the NICS background check results.

"I'm here to solve problems," Putnam said. "We didn't wait on a bad story to solve problems. I initiated the inspector general and the review of processes and procedures upon learning of this breakdown."
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 am

The 2 sources are Sun-Sentinel and the NRA ILA. They both say the same thing. Unfortunately not very reliable sources in my opinion.

I posted this because he is running for governor. We do know that this part is a fact. As to the rest of the information that is up to the individual as how factual this is. It's politics there is always to much BS involved and not much fact. Just my .02 .
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by avmech » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:36 am

camacho wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 am
avmech wrote:Big Joe, what is your source? I ask because, as you know, no one down my way is bothering to do any checking, they just spew their crap. Thanks!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-reg ... story.html
Thanks. Channel 5 just reported the headlines and did not go in depth yesterday. Again a hit piece agaist Putnam, given their previous hit regarding Publix backfired

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by avmech » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:38 am

BIG JOE wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 am
The 2 sources are Sun-Sentinel and the NRA ILA. They both say the same thing. Unfortunately not very reliable sources in my opinion.

I posted this because he is running for governor. We do know that this part is a fact. As to the rest of the information that is up to the individual as how factual this is. It's politics there is always to much BS involved and not much fact. Just my .02 .
Agree. Still has my vote though.

Thanks.

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:45 am

It's the political game. Anything can happen and does. Political deals are made to be broken. Just sayin.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 am

So, what's the consensus here? Given all the forces against Putnam (and there are plenty.... ultra conservatives (and POTUS) seem to be endorsing DeSantis) can Putnam actually win the primary? And can he then win in the General in Nov?

My vote goes to the person I think can best defeat the Dem. challenger...

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 am

Dave M wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:54 pm
Big Joe,

My bet would be on a disgruntled employee. Putnam running for governor, person who is not a fan of his, with some knowledge of the situation makes a call. Hey, if I really wanted to go out there I could say the original fired employee made the call, anonymously of course, knowing it would hurt politically.
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Just vote for Desantis 👌
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Gregh181 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:11 pm
Just vote for Desantis 👌
Ugh. I'd rather punch myself in the dick, though.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:09 pm

So punch yourself in the dick and then vote for Desantis 👌
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by AirForceShooter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 am

The non-gun people of Florida just wrote off Adam.

Sorry to say that

AFS
There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:52 am

Solve the problem by making Florida a Constitutional Carry State.
[smilie=cheers1.gif]
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 am

P5 guy wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:52 am
[smilie=cheers1.gif]
So far zero effect on murder rate where its been instituted. BTW, where's the Dodge City shootouts and bloodbath from Shall Issue concealed carry and Stand Your Ground?

Reality check for anyone in favor of gun control, reasonable or not: Do you really think a criminal is going to be deterred by some regulation with punishment far less than the crime he is planning?
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:32 am

jjk308 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 am
P5 guy wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:52 am
[smilie=cheers1.gif]
So far zero effect on murder rate where its been instituted. BTW, where's the Dodge City shootouts and bloodbath from Shall Issue concealed carry and Stand Your Ground?

Reality check for anyone in favor of gun control, reasonable or not: Do you really think a criminal is going to be deterred by some regulation with punishment far less than the crime he is planning?
It's not about stopping crime, it's about control pure and simple.