FL Senate passed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, 20-18

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Firemediceric

Re: FL Senate passed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, 20-18

Post by Firemediceric » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:40 am

What’s the best way to get the message across to Governor Rick Scott that if he signs off on this abomination that it will be remembered at the polls when he makes his run for Senate?

For me, I’ve become a single issue voter. If the candidate is not completely Second Amendment friendly, they will not have my support even if it means I sit on my hands vote for no one.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: FL Senate passed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, 20-18

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:51 am

Firemediceric wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:40 am
What’s the best way to get the message across to Governor Rick Scott that if he signs off on this abomination that it will be remembered at the polls when he makes his run for Senate?

For me, I’ve become a single issue voter. If the candidate is not completely Second Amendment friendly, they will not have my support even if it means I sit on my hands vote for no one.
Send an email and then call:

https://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott ... -governor/

https://www.flgov.com/contact-governor/

tel:(850) 717-9337

Snail mail probably won’t get there in time given how fast they seem to be forcing this through.
Libertas aut mortis!

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:00 am

Sent email last night, I’ll call today, everyone here should to. No excuses, Florida needs you

Don’t be a sunshine patriot

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 am

There is another option. Scott can refuse to sign or veto. If he chooses this option, then 15 days after the bill hits his desk it becomes law just as if he had signed it.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 am

Here is a link to the text of the final bill that is being sent to the GOTSOF for signature:

https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections ... ssion=2018

Things that jumped out at me on first-scan:

Guns and ammo seized due to being subjected to an involuntary exam because of being a threat to self or others must be returned within 7 days after the person is deemed to no longer be a danger.

Someone 18-21 cannot purchase a gun unless they are .mil or .leo and have completed their firearms training/certification. A licensed dealer may not sell or transfer a firearm to someone younger than 21. There is absolutely nothing that prevents a private individual from giving a gun to an 18-21 year old.

The 3-day waiting period on purchase of rifles and shotguns does not apply to CWP holders, or to anyone who has completed the 16-hour hunter safety education course, or to anyone who is exempt from the hunter safety education requirements and holds a valid hunting license.

A person may not import into the state, transfer, distribute, sell, keep for sale, possess, or give to another person a bump-fire stock. There are no provisions for grandfathering currently-owned bump-fire stocks. (IMHO, this is the poison pill that will ensure automatic judicial injunction and review).

There are many things that can be considered and used against a person during a risk-protection order hearing.

The details of the surrender of firearms due to a risk-protection order are complex. A current background check is required to get them back.

The person subject to a risk-protection order can voluntarily surrender their firearms and ammunition to another party to prevent them being seized.

Writing or on-line posting of threats to commit a mass shooting or act of terrorism is now a second-degree felony.

A whole bunch of really good stuff about school safety. There are significant restrictions/controls over which school employees will be qualified to be armed sheep dogs (no, Little Johnny's first grade teacher who is younger than your daughter will not be armed, and neither will the 35-year old hottie who teaches history to the high-school studs), requirements for active shooter training drills, grant funding for upgrading school security and school resource officer salaries, and requirements for referral of problem kids to law enforcement and mental health providers.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Firemediceric

Post by Firemediceric » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 am

Email sent and a voicemail left at the Governor’s office. I made it clear in both that I have become a single issue voter. I will sit on my hands on Election Day and not vote for any candidate rather than to support someone who incrementally erodes my Second Amendment rights.

dammitgriff

FL Senate passed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, 20-18

Post by dammitgriff » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:18 am

I’m with you on that.
The republic has fallen and no amount of exercising your vote will save it.
Might be time to turn to the cartridge box...