FL Senate passed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, 20-18

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

FL Senate passed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, 20-18

Post by Odessaman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Today the Florida Senate passed this comprehensive (105 pages) bill in reaction to the Parkland school shooting. If you haven't read it, you'd better, and hitch up your britches.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2018/07026

Clif Notes version:

1. Provides for Sheriffs to institute a "School Guardian program" in which school employees who meet certain criteria, including 132 hours of training, are appointed as "school guardians," without arrest powers, but with authority to stop an active shooter. The bill specifically states: "A school guardian has no authority to act in any law enforcement capacity except to the extent necessary to prevent or abate an active assailant incident on a school premises." (In other words - shoot the f@cker to the ground.)

2. Creates a procedure for "Risk Protection Orders" - similar to domestic violence injunctions, except these can ONLY be sought by law enforcement officers or agencies. Allows for temporary ex parte orders - in other words, the accused doesn't get to tell his side of the story until AFTER the order is issued - as well as final, or long term, orders. The subject of the order must surrender all guns and ammunition for the duration of the order. The subject may NOT recover attorney fees - even if the basis for the order was bullsh!t - and that goes for getting any seized guns back once the order is vacated. In other words, you can have just as much justice as you can afford. I see great potential for abuse here, and a lot of folks losing their guns forever because they can't afford a lawyer to get them back, or the legal fees outweigh the value of the guns. There is an option for the subject to surrender the guns and ammo to a third party for the duration of the order, but only after that person passes a background check and satisfies other criteria. I'd suggest you approach a responsible buddy now to have someone lined up to take possession of your guns if you find yourself the subject of one of these orders.

3. Minimum age of 21 to purchase any firearm.

4. Mandatory 3-day wait for ALL gun purchases (exception for CWL holders).

5. As of October 1, bump stocks are outlawed contraband. Can't sell 'em, can't have 'em, can't give them as gifts. Violation is a third degree felony. Here's their definition of bump stock - "As used in this section, the term “bump-fire stock” means a conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device used to alter the rate of fire of a firearm to mimic automatic weapon fire or which is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device." Faster rate than is possible for WHAT person to fire it - Jerry Miculek?

6. Creates a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission within FDLE to examine, review and analyze mass shooting incidents and make recommendations for the governor and the legislature.

7. Creates the Office of Safe Schools within the Department of Education. The office shall serve as a central repository for best practices, training standards, and compliance oversight in all matters regarding school safety and security, including prevention efforts, intervention efforts, and emergency preparedness planning."

There's more, but those are the main points I thought most of us here would be interested in.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Re: FL Senate passed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, 20-18

Post by George W » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 pm

So what does this mean for my 18 year old son that already owns firearms?
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Re: FL Senate passed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, 20-18

Post by Dave M » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks for the cliff note version.

My 2 cents

Gun age purchase doesn't affect me, but it is whittling away, another words we compromised again.

Bump fire stock doesn't affect me, but whittling away again.

3 day wait doesn't affect me, but whittling away again.

The other beuracratic items are feel good more government oversight programs.

And the bottom line is if you were republican and voted this down you would probably had this hanging around your neck for midterm elections.

How long before you think this will go into affect?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

playswithstyrene

Post by playswithstyrene » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Once again we get fucked and have nothing to show after these laughably called "compromises" with libturds and RINOs. =:wvr
“A lack of planning on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on mine.”

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Dave M wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm

How long before you think this will go into affect?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
"Section 52. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this act, this act shall take effect upon becoming a law."

So, the bump stock prohibition is effective Oct. 1st, 2018 (amnesty period) - but everything else without a specific date goes into effect once the House passes it and the governor signs it.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:58 pm

George W wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 pm
This statute deals with purchasing, not possessing, so he's fine.
~ Odessaman ~

― Mark Twain

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Does this affect 03FFL holders purchasing from online vendors at all?

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:52 am

NorincoKid wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Why would it? 03s are FFLs.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:08 am

If the pump stock ban passes I think a good idea to protest would be to for a lot of people turn belt loops and elastic bands by the thousands or any other way you can bump fire but not actually stocks or triggers

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:04 am

Odessaman wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:05 pm
2. Creates a procedure for "Risk Protection Orders" - similar to domestic violence injunctions, except these can ONLY be sought by law enforcement officers or agencies. Allows for temporary ex parte orders - in other words, the accused doesn't get to tell his side of the story until AFTER the order is issued - as well as final, or long term, orders. The subject of the order must surrender all guns and ammunition for the duration of the order. The subject may NOT recover attorney fees - even if the basis for the order was bullsh!t - and that goes for getting any seized guns back once the order is vacated. In other words, you can have just as much justice as you can afford. I see great potential for abuse here, and a lot of folks losing their guns forever because they can't afford a lawyer to get them back, or the legal fees outweigh the value of the guns. There is an option for the subject to surrender the guns and ammo to a third party for the duration of the order, but only after that person passes a background check and satisfies other criteria. I'd suggest you approach a responsible buddy now to have someone lined up to take possession of your guns if you find yourself the subject of one of these orders.
This is the most concerning part to me. Confiscation without due process is completely unacceptable!

The bump stock part had potential to be abused also by being incorrectly applied to regular modifications and accessories.

Where can we see who voted for this abomination?
Last edited by Cloaked Dagger on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libertas aut mortis!

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 am

molivo wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:52 am
NorincoKid wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Why would it? 03s are FFLs.
Back in NY if you ordered a handgun with a 03FFL It still had to go through a dealer, you couldn't get it send direct to your residence because of their state laws.

weaselfire

Post by weaselfire » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22 am

George W wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 pm
It means he should register and vote. :)

Basically nothing. If it goes through the house and is signed by the Governor, it has no provision for banning existing ownership. Also no reason you can't buy him guns and gift them to him.

Jeff

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:04 am
Where can we see who voted for this abomination?
N Baxley-12
N Bracy-11
N Braynon-35
N Campbell-38
N Farmer-34
N Gainer-2
N Gibson-6
N Grimsley-26
N Hukill-14
N Lee-20
N Powell-30
N Rodriguez-37
N Rouson-19
N Steube-23
N Stewart-13
N Taddeo-40
N Thurston-33
N Torres-15
Y Bean-4
Y Benacquisto-27
Y Book-32
Y Bradley-5
Y Brandes-24
Y Broxson-1
Y Flores-39
Y Galvano-21
Y Garcia-36
Y Hutson-7
Y Mayfield-17
Y Montford-3
Y Passidomo-28
Y Perry-8
Y President Negron-25
Y Rader-29
Y Simmons-9
Y Simpson-10
Y Stargel-22
Y Young-18

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:50 pm

This bill does not comport with liberty in the state of Florida or the nation, but it does grow the bureaucracy with the creation of yet another taxpayer-funded bureau under the Department of Education.
I don’t know how much more infringement on individual liberty it will take to wake up patriots in this state and country.
Government is a national disease.
R/Griff

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Jeff Brandes is not taking them to the woodshed, RINO voted to strip more rights. [smilie=014.gif] [smilie=042.gif] ](*,) [smilie=pdt_xtremez_12.gif]
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

weaselfire

Post by weaselfire » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 pm

NorincoKid wrote:4. Mandatory 3-day wait for ALL gun purchases (exception for CWL holders).

Nope. Or any other FFL purchasing a firearm. You'd have to hold it for yourself for three business days if it did. :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Yet another concession to the nannies. People keep saying compromise, which is incorrect gun owners receive nothing in this deal making it a concession. They seeing as letting us keep some of our 2A rights [smilie=014.gif]
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Synaptic Misfire wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:39 pm
Yet another concession to the nannies. People keep saying compromise, which is incorrect gun owners receive nothing in this deal making it a concession. They seeing as letting us keep some of our 2A rights [smilie=014.gif]
Exactly. In compromise both sides give up something to get something. With this we give up rights and get exactly jack s';t in return.
Libertas aut mortis!

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 pm

So this abomination passed the house today.
Libertas aut mortis!

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 pm

No surprise. It’s an election year, after all!