Changes to Florida Constitution

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Changes to Florida Constitution

Post by REDinFL » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:04 am

Jjk, you are quite correct about all of that. Watch the EU crime rate come up with all the new, wonderful in every way arrivals.
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 pm

REDinFL wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:04 am
Jjk, you are quite correct about all of that. Watch the EU crime rate come up with all the new, wonderful in every way arrivals.
But what's that have to do with restoring voting (and gun rights) to (non-violent) felons that have done their time in Florida? Obviously, the laws are on the books to keep people from voting for democrats, but saying that just paints the whole thing as politically motivated. . . and then JJ comes here and says, no it's about race?!? How is that helping the situation?
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:
randian wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:36 am
Yep, it looks like they're trying to do to Florida what Terry McAuliffe did to Virginia, create a bunch of near-100% Democrat voters to sway state elections.
Convicts do not vote 100% democrat or anywhere near it; indeed, convicts even when they get their voting rights back usually don't vote period.

In any case, taking someone's rights away for the rest of their lives is a tool the government can use to repress the people. Governments shouldn't be able to strip rights forever. If someone deserves their rights taken away forever, then they should be put to death, or be in prison for the rest of their lives if the death penalty is not an option. So, let's start using the death penalty as it should be used.
That’s an outstanding assessment...congrats.
Our rights don’t come from government, and they are wrong to assume they do.
R/Griff

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm

REDinFL wrote:Jjk, you are quite correct about all of that. Watch the EU crime rate come up with all the new, wonderful in every way arrivals.
Gotta love all that vibrant cultural diversity...
https://youtu.be/oG2ESfozdpk

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:53 am

Cardboard_killer wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 pm
But what's that have to do with restoring voting (and gun rights) to (non-violent) felons that have done their time in Florida? Obviously, the laws are on the books to keep people from voting for democrats, but saying that just paints the whole thing as politically motivated. . . and then JJ comes here and says, no it's about race?!? How is that helping the situation?
The problem is that race is about crime and a lot of other social problems, not that voting is about race. So far the Left has refused to recognize the horrible problem with the culture of the part of the African American community that did not to take advantage of their civil rights and refuses to "act white".

Fix that problem and you've fixed the voting rights problem. Refuse to address it and giving voting rights to felons will be just encouraging criminal activity by removing some of the consequences.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Thu May 03, 2018 8:13 am

jjk308 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:53 am
Cardboard_killer wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 pm
The problem is that race is about crime and a lot of other social problems, not that voting is about race. So far the Left has refused to recognize the horrible problem with the culture of the part of the African American community that did not to take advantage of their civil rights and refuses to "act white".

Fix that problem and you've fixed the voting rights problem. Refuse to address it and giving voting rights to felons will be just encouraging criminal activity by removing some of the consequences.
If prison isn’t enough deterrent to stop them do you really think the status of their voting rights will be the deciding factor that gets them to not commit that crime they are thinking about?

Like someone said already, if we can’t trust them to vote then we shouldn’t be letting them out of prison.
Libertas aut mortis!

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Thu May 03, 2018 8:21 am

Barring voting rights for any reason nullifies the core characteristic of democracy, and by extension, citizenship in your country.
It’s another insidious moral hazard introduced by politics.

R/Griff

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Fri May 04, 2018 7:37 am

Florida is one of only four States that strips individuals of their voting franchise. If you for any reason thinks that's a good thing you should probably move to another country.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 am

jjk308 wrote:

I am very depressed to hear anyone talk like this that is on my side of 2nd amendment rights. You're saying that black people have to act white before they should be allowed to vote. When there are enough votes to force white people to act black before they can vote, what will you think about your stance then?

Your posts are always about defending privileges and never about defending rights. That paints you as an enemy of the constitution of the USA.
Brian

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 am
jjk308 wrote:

I am very deprbessed to hear anyone talk like this that is on my side of 2nd amendment rights. You're saying that black people have to act white before they should be allowed to vote. When there are enough votes to force white people to act black before they can vote, what will you think about your stance then?

Your posts are always about defending privileges and never about defending rights. That paints you as an enemy of the constitution of the USA.
Stop putting words in my mouth. Black people have to act white before they can stay out of prison. Keep pretending that the black crime rate isn't a fact, isn't holding them down and ruining their chances for a decent life and YOU are just enabling murderers, thugs and drug dealers who are terrorizing their own community.

The worst part is the difference between white and black crime, in particular the murder rate, has gotten WORSE over the past 20 years.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... s/table-21

African Americans are 12.6% of the US population, whites 72.6% in the 2010 census. YOU DO THE MATH! Plus the vast majority of their victims are of their own race!

Of course the Liberal response to this is to complain about black arrest and imprisonment, to try and reduce or eliminate incarceration, and coddle the criminals as much as possible on the baseless grounds that they are victims of a RACIST system!
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Fri May 04, 2018 4:22 pm

Skoll wrote:Florida is one of only four States that strips individuals of their voting franchise. If you for any reason thinks that's a good thing you should probably move to another country.
Amen, congrats!

R/Griff

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri May 04, 2018 4:32 pm

jjk308 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 pm
Stop putting words in my mouth. Black people have to act white before they can stay out of prison.
You are the one obsessed about race here. All any of use said was that people's right shouldn't be removed permanently for crimes, then you started up on race. You opinions on this are racist, and sadly are sure to be used against my 2nd Amendment rights. So shut up about race and find a non-racist reason to support keeping ex-felons out of the voting booth. I won't hold my breath.
Brian

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Sat May 05, 2018 5:51 am

There is a mechanism for ex-felons to regain the privilege of a vote. It just takes time, money and work. Are they too lazy or do they not really care to vote? What is voter turn-out now? 30-40 percent on a good cycle?
/:f
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Sat May 05, 2018 6:43 am

P5 guy wrote:There is a mechanism for ex-felons to regain the privilege of a vote. It just takes time, money and work. Are they too lazy or do they not really care to vote? What is voter turn-out now? 30-40 percent on a good cycle?
That’s true, but not the point. There is no such thing as a free society when you are not free to choose to participate in elections as an adult.

R/Griff

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 am

P5 guy wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:51 am
There is a mechanism for ex-felons to regain the privilege of a vote. It just takes time, money and work. Are they too lazy or do they not really care to vote? What is voter turn-out now? 30-40 percent on a good cycle?
So you're saying that voter turnout is low anyway, so f/;k people who get disenfranchised by the State?

Everyone whines on here about having their 2nd Amendment rights gated by this fee, or that fee, but when it comes to voting, hey f/;k that guy he should have to pay a fee or he's just too lazy.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 am

dammitgriff wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:43 am
P5 guy wrote:There is a mechanism for ex-felons to regain the privilege of a vote. It just takes time, money and work. Are they too lazy or do they not really care to vote? What is voter turn-out now? 30-40 percent on a good cycle?
That’s true, but not the point. There is no such thing as a free society when you are not free to choose to participate in elections as an adult.

R/Griff
That's as stupid as saying there's no such thing as a free society when you can be imprisoned for committing a crime. ](*,)

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 am

Cardboard_killer wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:32 pm
jjk308 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 pm
Stop putting words in my mouth. Black people have to act white before they can stay out of prison.
You are the one obsessed about race here. All any of use said was that people's right shouldn't be removed permanently for crimes, then you started up on race. You opinions on this are racist, and sadly are sure to be used against my 2nd Amendment rights. So shut up about race and find a non-racist reason to support keeping ex-felons out of the voting booth. I won't hold my breath.
It'd be best for all of us if you either held your breath permanently or turned on the brain God gave you. My no votes for felons applies to felons of ALL COLORS.

Do you think only black people get convicted?

And why are you insisting on ignoring the crime problem of the black community that is holding them down and preventing them from fully participating in all the things our society and economy have to offer? It sounds like you'd prefer to go back to the bad old days when if a black was a crime victim the police or sheriff would just ignore it.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Sat May 05, 2018 8:43 am

jjk308 wrote:
dammitgriff wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:43 am

R/Griff
That's as stupid as saying there's no such thing as a free society when you can be imprisoned for committing a crime. ](*,)
You’re still a citizen even if you’ve been convicted of a crime. As long as you’re a citizen of the U.S., you must have the freedom to choose to participate in our elections, since only citizens of the country are permitted to vote.
When the state strips that away from you, you’ve lost your primary voice in our democracy. No wonder so many are ready to turn to the cartridge box.

R/Griff

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sat May 05, 2018 8:56 am

The disenfranchisement of felons who have served their time is going to be done away with by the courts. It may take a few years, but it will for sure happen.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sat May 05, 2018 9:38 am

tector wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:56 am
The disenfranchisement of felons who have served their time is going to be done away with by the courts. It may take a few years, but it will for sure happen.
I agree that felons that have served their time and become productive members of society again should have voting rights restored, if nothing else. I'm also in favor of restoring gun rights (perhaps "X" years after completing parole) for those same ex-felons that did not commit crimes of violence or use a gun in their crime. I just think it's the right thing to do.

I get why the dems want to restore voting rights to ex-felons. Because they think most will vote "dem." I wonder if that's actually the case though. I wonder what the political demographic really is, among felons / ex-felons.

[smilie=popcorn.gif]