GOP Health Care Plan

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Post Reply
User avatar
sleepyhead
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:26 pm
Location: Pinellas County

GOP Health Care Plan

Post by sleepyhead » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:03 am

With all this hoopla about the failure of the GOP to get enough votes to repeal and replace Obamacare, I have the same question for statists that I did back when Obamacare was introduced: Which of the enumerated powers listed in the constitution supposedly grants the federal government power over anything related to healthcare?

I wasn't the only one asking this question when Obamacare was introduced, it was a pretty common question amongst Republicans. But now that it's their team proposing it? All I hear is crickets.

This is just another example of government doing what government does: expanding its power, and strangling our liberty. Republican, Democrat, it doesn't matter. They are just are two divisions of the same entity that is the enemy of liberty.

User avatar
Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Zephyrhills, FL

Re: GOP Health Care Plan

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:09 am

I believe those questions were answered by the SCOTUS five years ago. They have a website with their decisions and dissents on it for research.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 3049
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:48 am
Location: Manatee Fla. / Huntersville N.C.

Re: GOP Health Care Plan

Post by AirForceShooter » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:49 am

The decision 5 years ago flew in the face of the Constitution.

Roberts wrote it was a tax.

The Constitution says only the House Ways and Means can propose a tax and it must be passed by congress.

The Dems in their argument said specifically it was NOT a tax.

AFS
There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

User avatar
tector
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 14296
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:49 am
Location: Broward

Re: GOP Health Care Plan

Post by tector » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:19 am

AirForceShooter wrote:The decision 5 years ago flew in the face of the Constitution.

Roberts wrote it was a tax.

The Constitution says only the House Ways and Means can propose a tax and it must be passed by congress.

The Dems in their argument said specifically it was NOT a tax.

AFS
Which is why, in our SCOTUS discussions, I say you cannot count on Kennedy AND Roberts as reliable conservative votes.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

User avatar
jjk308
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5312
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Oldsmar, Florida USA

Re: GOP Health Care Plan

Post by jjk308 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:13 pm

The end result of your doing nothing but complaining about the Constitutionality of Obamacare means that it'll burden us for a few years to come until it crashes. Then there wil be a rush to replace it with a cheaper federal program, and nobody will be listening to you, let alone do as you want. It sucks but that's political reality.

All the Republicans didn't vote for it for one or both of 2 reasons.

#1, the dumbest one, was that it wasn't a complete repeal of federal healthcare, but kept some Obamacare for 2 years and kept subsidies under a level tax credit guise, contrary to Libertarian philosophy. These clauses were put in because of #2 reason.

#2, the reason I was kinda uneasy, is that it'd hurt millions of people who'd have to pay more for their insurance and who would then vote against the Republicans. Obamacare's in its death spiral with insurers pulling out and rates going up, with rate increase filings starting next month. Only the usual culprits are saying its "stable". So why not wait a year or 2 for it to become an obvious failure and get a big majority in favor of replacing it? Otherwise you risk a Democratic takeover of Congress in 2018 and the White House in 2020. And their ultimate goal is a single payer system that in reality is socialized medicine.

Something that would have totally wrecked Obamacare would be legislating away the mandates. Right now about 2/3 of those who are supposedly mandated to buy Obamacare either weasel out under an exemption, usually "hardship" or just pay the tax fine, so it'd collapse down to those who are sick, poor and just can't get insurance, a sure fire way for premiums to go sky high and insurance companies to drop it.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

User avatar
firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4543
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Tampa Bay Area

Re: GOP Health Care Plan

Post by firemedic2000 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:07 pm

sleepyhead wrote:With all this hoopla about the failure of the GOP to get enough votes to repeal and replace Obamacare, I have the same question for statists that I did back when Obamacare was introduced: Which of the enumerated powers listed in the constitution supposedly grants the federal government power over anything related to healthcare?

I wasn't the only one asking this question when Obamacare was introduced, it was a pretty common question amongst Republicans. But now that it's their team proposing it? All I hear is crickets.

This is just another example of government doing what government does: expanding its power, and strangling our liberty. Republican, Democrat, it doesn't matter. They are just are two divisions of the same entity that is the enemy of liberty.
Your right.....but now that the cat is out of the bag. You can't just put it back in. Now that health care has offered/ordered by the government. The government just cannot stop offering/ordering that you must it. That's the problem. The government never should have gotten into the business to begin with. I know the government does not really offer it per say. They mandate it right now or you pay a penalty.

The insurance that I've seen people get from what I've heard them say is just about useless. The high deductibles and what's covered and not. Not to mention finding a doctor that will even accept it.

I have insurance through Fire Rescue. It's a so called Cadillac insurance plan and covers everything. Absolutely great insurance. The people in Washington that voted for this garbage are on a Cadillac health insurance plan. If it was so great as they touted why did not all of them go on it in the beginning. Because they all knew Obama care was garbage

Yep come next election there will be some new GOP representatives in Washington DC.
I just emailed my representatives. To find out where they stood on the hcb. Were they for it or against it.
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

User avatar
Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Zephyrhills, FL

Re: GOP Health Care Plan

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:18 pm

jjk308 wrote:#2, the reason I was kinda uneasy, is that it'd hurt millions of people who'd have to pay more for their insurance and who would then vote against the Republicans.
So, the republicans need to give free s';t away so that people will vote republican so republicans can keep democrats from giving free s';t away. #-o
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

User avatar
tector
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 14296
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:49 am
Location: Broward

Re: GOP Health Care Plan

Post by tector » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Reagan warned about this slippery slope when Medicare was proposed. He was mocked.

These half-assed programs are usually the worst of both worlds. Blow them all up and get government out of the business, or just have Medicare for all. These other options are all rife with opportunities for corruption. It becomes like the goddamned tax code.

"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

User avatar
firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4543
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Tampa Bay Area

Re: GOP Health Care Plan

Post by firemedic2000 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:15 pm

tector wrote:Reagan warned about this slippery slope when Medicare was proposed. He was mocked.

These half-assed programs are usually the worst of both worlds. Blow them all up and get government out of the business, or just have Medicare for all. These other options are all rife with opportunities for corruption. It becomes like the goddamned tax code.

"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

That's exactly what I've told people. Do Medicare with a part a or b plan that people could buy just like it is now.
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

Post Reply