S&W 386 Nightguard

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
MikeFL86
Executive Member
Executive Member

S&W 386 Nightguard

Post by MikeFL86 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:33 pm

I picked up a very lightly used S&W 386 Nightguard, one of the 7-shot scandium .357 mag/.38 revolvers with the tritium sight for $630 at Gander Mountain. I checked up online and thought this was a good deal. How'd I do? And does anyone else have any experience with these guns? I've been in the market for a wheelgun for a while and felt that this fit the ticket.
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. — JUSTICE LEARNED HAND

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Re: S&W 386 Nightguard

Post by NonConformist » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:54 pm

not bad for a Nightguard. I want one SOOO bad but dont want to pay that much LOL

Glad you got one hope you love it!
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

MikeFL86
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MikeFL86 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Thank you. I'll let you know how it shoots. Oh, and this will be my first time with a serious wheelgun. I have a single six in .22LR/.22 magnum but that's nothing. I have shot my friend's snubby .357 before and liked it well enough. Thing is? That had a steel frame. We'll see how this scandium treats my hand!
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. — JUSTICE LEARNED HAND

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:14 pm

I've always felt that the problem with the 386 (and all the L/N frame S&Ws) is that, while the 386 is lighter, it is (they are) still too big for easy concealed carry. I have a 686+ and a 625, both of which I sometimes keep on the nightstand, but neither of which I conceal carry.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

MikeFL86
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MikeFL86 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:51 pm

I can see where you're coming from but I respectfully disagree. It's about the size of an XD Compact overall. The only thing you have to account for is the cylinder and that's not too bad.

By the way, shot it today with some good 125gr Remington .357 mag. Recoil was very manageable. Also shot some 147 grain Hornady Lever Revolution out of it and it recoiled even less than the 125grs. At least it felt that way!

This is a really good gun. Once I remove the ILS and get a holster I'll use this as a carry gun.