Anyone that says the 357 isn't enough gun for hogs

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

Anyone that says the 357 isn't enough gun for hogs

Post by Lilwoody » Sun May 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Is wrong. The young mans uncle that I took wanted his nephews skull so he could have it dipped camo. I had finished his sow with a 357 pistol, I hit it in the lower right jaw dead in the middle, looking stright at me at about 40 feet and she went out like a light. I figured she threw her head back just as I shot and the bullet was in her brain pan. Wrong, the impact of the bullet on the jaw cracked her skull from right jaw socket to her left ear, I don't have a clue where the bullet was. Probably in her neck/spine, don't know but the fractrue to the skull was definately fatal unto itself. I used one of my hand loads, a Hornady 158 gr XTP on top of 16.7 grains of H110 (I,m not home so don't jump me if I'm off on the powder but I'll check when I get there). They are pretty hot loads I set up for my sons rifle but they do shoot well in my 686.
I'm sold now that like any other caliber shot placement is key but if you do your job a 357 will do it's.
Last edited by Lilwoody on Mon May 23, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

beaverfever
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Anyone that says the 357 isn't enough gun for hogs

Post by beaverfever » Mon May 23, 2011 12:27 am

.357s been putting down much larger game for years than modern thought will commonly credit it for. Much of this was of course many years ago when "better" choices weren't available and modern loadings have only gotten more potent. From some comparisons I've seen between .357 and 30-30 (in same length lever actions of course) I've noticed ballistically there isn't a huge gap between the two but the latter is consider a one of the best cartridges for North American game, while the former is often spoken of as "not enough gun".
Last edited by beaverfever on Mon May 23, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Callahan: Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here.
Crook: Who'se we sucka?
Harry Callahan: Smith and Wesson... and me.

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Mon May 23, 2011 7:09 am

I agree that a .357 to the head will put them down. The real test comes when you try a heart/lung shot. That is where the .357 is going to show some weakness. I've killed one small boar with a .357. The shot was a little too far back but luckily hit his spine and paralized his back legs.

fla_native
BANNED

Post by fla_native » Wed May 25, 2011 10:32 am

Doyle wrote:I agree that a .357 to the head will put them down. The real test comes when you try a heart/lung shot. That is where the .357 is going to show some weakness. I've killed one small boar with a .357. The shot was a little too far back but luckily hit his spine and paralized his back legs.

With factory ammo.....its still a pistol bullet after all. Try the same shot with a 170 gr Keith SWC and about 15 grs of 2400! [smilie=cheers1.gif] [smilie=cheers1.gif]