Anyone in central FL. ever put an Apex trigger kit in a 442

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
Dalton Wayne
BANNED

Anyone in central FL. ever put an Apex trigger kit in a 442

Post by Dalton Wayne » Thu May 19, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm thinking about getting an Apex trigger kit for my 442 but I don't know if I have the skills/guts to do the install myself, this would be for my S&W 442 anyone ever done this?
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, sometimes we just snuggle.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW

lx460
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Anyone in central FL. ever put an Apex trigger kit in a

Post by lx460 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Hmm lets see, You want to take the singular gun in your posession. The same one which you place the trust of defending your life with in a questionable environment every evening. Then you want to start taking it apart and swapping parts not knowing if you have the proper skills (I think you know just by asking). Either leave it alone or pay a professional. Anytime anyone starts asking if they have the skills and know how to do anything, they invariably never do.
If you were to ask me in high school where I saw myself in 20 years, a$$hole on the internet wasn't even on the radar.

Dalton Wayne
BANNED

Post by Dalton Wayne » Thu May 19, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm going to get the kit but will have a pro put it in,
has anyone had this kit installed did you notice much difference
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:48 pm

ever hear the saying don't try and polish a turd ?? :-k

not that the gun is a turd, but you get my drift [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

bfips
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bfips » Thu May 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Sounds good. I'd be interested too.

The J-Frame Duty/Carry Kit will be released at the NRA Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh, Pa. on April 29th and will be available through MidwayUSA and Brownells, as well as others.
New J-Frame Enhancement Kit from Apex Tactical

LOS OSO, Calif. – Apex Tactical Specialties, Inc. (ATS) announced the pending release of their new J-Frame Duty/Carry Kit. Keeping with their present product lines, the Duty/Carry J-Frame kit is a drop in that reduces trigger pull weight and maintains absolute reliability for carry applications.

Boasting a trigger pull just over 9lbs, the Apex J-Frame kit is a must have for armed professionals who prefer their backup guns have a more easily managed trigger pull. The kit is available for all .38 and .357 caliber modern J-Frame revolvers with the frame mounted firing pin.

“Fine tuning the J-Frame is something we’ve been perfecting for years,” said Scott Folk, vice president of Apex Tactical. “Enhancing the trigger pull with the new J-Frame Duty/Carry Kit should greatly improve the shootability of the J-Frame revolver.”
Character determines destiny
In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty
NRA Life Member

wjbarricklow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by wjbarricklow » Thu May 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Reliability is an absolute must, but you don't have to have a 14# trigger pull to have a reliable revolver. Let us know how it turns out.
...and they think I'm compensating for something?

HES
Life Member
Life Member

Post by HES » Thu May 19, 2011 7:50 pm

I dont know about the 442, but putting their parts in an M&P is pretty much a no brainer and they do wonders for M&Ps. Their latest creation for the M&P which should be coming out is a barrel for the 9mm which should address the lock up time issue.
NRA Rifle & Shotgun Instructor, NRA RSO. Hedonistic Glutton always.

louiethelump
Life Member
Life Member

Post by louiethelump » Sun May 22, 2011 8:15 am

I just looked up the APEX kit you are asking about to see what it is. It is just the same old spring replacement kit with an added extended firing pin. That said, if you want to put it in, I will be happy to do it for you, or better yet, meet with you and walk you through it so that you can put the old parts back in if you change your mind or want to do another one. It will take less than half an hour and won't cost you anything. I would prefer to help you or show you how to do it than have you damage your gun in the process by making a mistake somewhere. It is simple and there is not much to it. I am not a fan of spring kits in these little revolvers, but the longer firing pin will probably make them more reliable, and I would rather help you than have you worry about it or have you get robbed by some local hacker.

You don't know me, but I was armorer for Pinellas Park PD for over 20 years, going back into our revolver days, and up through the S&W 9mm pistol days. I retired in 2007 as they were going to Glock, and while I have been to Glock school, I don't like them and don't work on them. Up until when I quit going back to S&W every 4 years to renew it, I was certified by S&W. In addition, I worked for Wain Roberts Firearms in Pinellas Park for 15 years as a second job and did all their repair work on handguns for many of those years. Call Pam or Mike at Wain Roberts for a reference and ask about Bob Cook. (727)544-7935 After I moved up here, I still did contract work for them until it got too expensive to go back and forth. I can give you other references if you need them.

I could meet you or you could come down my way and then test fire the gun on my range when we get it done. I live in Ridge Manor (with a Webster mailing address) just off of US301 and just south of Bushnell about 10 miles. It is about an hour south of Ocala.
Louie the lump
NRA Life
American

One45
Life Member
Life Member

Post by One45 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:26 am

Bob - wish I was closer as I would give the kit a whirl in one of my Js. Super that you would volunteer your expertise.
:ber /:f
It's a Gator nation.

HES
Life Member
Life Member

Post by HES » Thu May 26, 2011 10:36 pm

A new 'smith that isn't all that far from me? Cool
NRA Rifle & Shotgun Instructor, NRA RSO. Hedonistic Glutton always.

mikecu
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mikecu » Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 am

I'm not familiar with the Apex kit, but I recently put in the Wilson Combat spring kit in my Airweight,
It's pretty easy to swap out the springs.
Here is a good video for a j frame trigger job using a $9 WC spring kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4GtXq2XXOI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dalton Wayne
BANNED

Post by Dalton Wayne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Just ordered the kit today will be in touch with you
Thanks
DW
Regards
DW

bfips
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bfips » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:55 am

I finally got around to installing the Apex J frame Duty/ Carry Kit in my 642. It's a spring and firing pin kit. I ordered it right from Apex and it was just under $30 shipped. Only tools I used were a screwdriver, small pliers and a small punch (for guiding the firing pin spring in). I didn't have a rebound slide spring tool so I just used a small flat screwdriver to remove and install the rebound slide spring. I followed along with the video on their website for installation. I lightly polished the rebound slide along the bottom and inside facing the frame with 600 sandpaper as suggested in the video. The hardest part was carefully reinstalling the side plate without jamming it.
I don't have any way to measure the trigger pull, but it feels a lot smoother. By that I mean the start of the pull is lighter and the full pull feels consistent. The stock trigger was a bear to start the pull.
I just need to get to the ranger to make sure it goes bang before it goes back in my belt.
Character determines destiny
In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty
NRA Life Member

louiethelump
Life Member
Life Member

Post by louiethelump » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 am

Nice Job!

louie
Louie the lump
NRA Life