and then returns to the upright position,

That's Italian~!
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

racer88

Re: Chiappa Rhino

Post by racer88 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:57 pm

photohause wrote:and then returns to the upright position,

That's Italian~!
Haha! Looks like a really neat revolver. It's made my wish list. I think I'd like the "white Rhino" in 5" barrel length.

flyandscuba

Post by flyandscuba » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:11 pm

The cocking "hammer" only serves as the rear sight on the 20DS. The 40, 50, and 60DS has an adjustible rear sight. The double action only 2" model doesn't have a cocking "hammer" - so the top of the frame has a channel for the rear sight.

flyandscuba

Post by flyandscuba » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Today, I had the opportunity to take the Chiappa Rhino 50DS (5 inch barrel) revolver out for a little range work with a friend.

We were both extremely impressed with the performance of the revolver. Asthetics aside (the appearance has actually grown on me over time) -- the recoil differences between the Rhino and conventional revolvers chambered in 357 Magnum was considerable!

At first, I loaded 38 Special target loads (WWB) in the revolver. Shooting them felt like a .22 rimfire -- or possibly a squib load. Moving on to 357 Magnum (Blazer 158gr JHPs) -- the revolver felt like an N-frame S&W shooting 38 Special wadcutters. I was shocked.

My buddy who is in his 80's and wears shooting gloves normally due to easy brusing of his skin had zero discomfort firing the revolver with either Special or Magnum loads. He commented that it was the most comfortable revolver he had ever fired.

Accuracy was exceptional as well. At self defense distances, a ragged hole was the result of slow fire from the bench with 357 Magnum loads. Moving out to 75 yards, both of us were able to consistently hit a 5 gallon bucket firing from a rest. I definitely think this revolver could be effectively used for hunting with the factory iron sights.

Leather for these pistols is presently nearly impossible to find. I was fortunate to run across a custom made leather OWB holster listed on eBay and made by Dennis Alexander from Kenton, OH. He had made 5 or 6 holsters for the 5 inch Rhino when a customer provided his own revolver for use as a forming block. It was a quality holster for the $65 invested.

Safariland Comp 2 Speed Loaders for a Ruger/L-frame Smith worked perfectly with the Rhino as well.

I look forward to using this set-up for a revolver course coming up by Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics to be held at the Southern Exposure Training Facility near Lakeland in October.