44mag, 1 dud - 1 score

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

44mag, 1 dud - 1 score

Post by jwillgym » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Every since I bought my Henry 44mag rifle I have wanted a revolver to go with it. Found a brand new Taurus Tracker on-line at buds for $399 and ordered it. Shot great for 33 rounds, then the cylinder jammed up on round 34. Finally got it working again, but when I shot round 37 I saw something come from the cylinder/forcing cone area, hit the wall next to my face, then hit me in the upper lip hard enough to make it bleed. The range staff confirmed my thoughts on it having a timing issue and that I shouldn't shoot it until repaired by Taurus. Should have known better, not a lot of positive things said about it on-line.
Walked out of the range to the gun store that was next door and they had a like new used Ruger Alaskan for $600, I bought it on the spot. The difference between the two guns are night and day in regards to workmanship. The Alaskan is one high quality hunk of metal! Not sure if it's the weight or the great grips but it seems to recoil less than the tracker that had a longer and ported barrel. I have now put about 200 rounds through the Alaskan and it hasn't skipped a beat. The Tracker is gone and hopefully work well for the new owner after it's repaired. I highly recommend the Alaskan to anyone that wants a quality short barrel 44mag.
IYAOYAS

clyde621

Re: 44mag, 1 dud - 1 score

Post by clyde621 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:44 pm

I have a Ruger 44mag carbine that I bought some 20 years ago. I also found a S&W 629 in a 4" barrel. I like the smith but it does have a wide target trigger that's a little rough on the finger doing fast double action shots. Been thinking about getting a narrow trigger to tame that problem. Love the combos.