Best 357 Magnum?

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
DoctorRain

Best 357 Magnum?

Post by DoctorRain » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:28 pm

I am looking to buy a 357 Magnum, mostly stainless steel for a reasonable price. I am looking for a gun dealer, non pawn shop if possible who can sell me a used one in the Tampa area or new if the price is good. I may go with a Ruger 357, then maybe a Smith and Wesson but Ruger might be more like it I don't know. I feel no matter what name brand I buy, I wont lose and will find the right deal with guidance.

So my question is, what do you all think the best name brand for the right price, 357 Magnum is?

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Best 357 Magnum?

Post by Cardboard_killer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Really depends on what you want the gun to perform--e.g. is it a concealed carry piece that has to weight less than 30oz; is it a range gun; is home defense weapon; is it a a competition gun?

Generally, I think In the market of new guns, Ruger's double actions are the best for the price in most of the above cases. I say that despite not owning one Ruger at the current time, as I like S&Ws.Indeed, the only good Rugers I've ever owned have been their revolvers; everything other type has been snakebit for me. But the prices of new S&Ws are such that I recommend new Rugers instead.

Now, if you don't mind a used gun, then I'd suggest a S&W. Alternatively, you might try a new Taurus/Rossi, which lack the quality (of steel and fitting) of even the new S&Ws, but use the same basic design. I've had Rossis before that have performed acceptably, and they are really easy on the wallet.

EDIT: here are some simple tests for buying a revolver (remember, a revolver is actually a more complicated machine than most automatics):
http://thefiringline.com/Misc/library/R ... check.html
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Ruget GP100 or one of their old Security Six.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:04 am

They are fun to conceal carry. By fun, I mean painful.
Brian

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:51 am

Like Cardboard Killer asked - what is the purpose of this revolver. There is a HUGE spectrum of .357s - all the way from tiny little airweight S&Ws all the way up to the massive Ruger Redhawk.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:03 am

Please enlighten us why a used gun from a dealer is better than one from a pawn shop ??
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

IslandTimes

Post by IslandTimes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:26 am

I don't know how much luck you would have finding one, but I'm a big fan of the Dan Wesson .357 mags. I have a pair of blued model 15's that are very well made and very accurate. Most of the Dan Wessons were made so you can switch out different lengths of barrel assemblies, potentially having a gun you could could conceal carry with a 2.5" barrel while also being able to target shoot after swapping in a 6"+ length barrel assembly. If that interests you, the stainless version is called a model 715.

Skeezix
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Skeezix » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:09 pm

tector wrote:Ruget GP100 or one of their old Security Six.
Or the Speed Six and Service Six. :ber

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Skeezix wrote:
Yep.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:33 pm

I will never own a taurus! If you do buy one you will remember this post! If you need a part for it there is a very good change that they wont have it in stock. Then when you ask how the hell, they will answer you with, we get a shipment by the first friday of every month and hopefully that part with come in. Yea it comes from Brazil :ham'r. That was my experience with them and I sold the revolver a week later. I bought a 4" 686 7 shot and love it. Heavy trigger but i am deadly accurate with it.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

skltr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by skltr » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:54 pm

tector wrote:
Skeezix wrote:
Yep.

Can't go wrong here, for the money!
A gun and a parachute are somewhat alike ... If you need one and don't have one, you'll never need one again.

Vinnie357
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Vinnie357 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:20 pm

GP100 nice for the night table. SP101 nice for carry. Also SP and S&W snubby (both 5 shot) both can use the same speed loader which is nice if you happen to also have the smith.

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:37 pm

I have a Ruger Security Six in 357 with a 4" barrel and it is an amazing firearm. I have a shoulder rig and CC is not bad.

Don't know if I could do it today but it has made wheel rims hung off chain dance at 200 yards. [smilie=011.gif]

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:39 pm

It's a shame the days of $300 S&W Model 28s are passed by. Nothing better than an N-frame 357, although I haven't fired a Korth, and my Manurhin still sits in my safe waiting to be taken to the range.
Brian

cal45

Post by cal45 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:04 pm

As others have posted here, there are many different flavors and sizes to choose from depending on what you will use it for.

If CCW is a primary use - look at the Ruger LCR in .357mag

skltr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by skltr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:18 pm

cal45 wrote:As others have posted here, there are many different flavors and sizes to choose from depending on what you will use it for.

If CCW is a primary use - look at the Ruger LCR in .357mag
Agree, if it's years of range time, look elsewhere.
A gun and a parachute are somewhat alike ... If you need one and don't have one, you'll never need one again.

Dry Swamp

Post by Dry Swamp » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Just picked this beauty up a few months ago and lovin it! The action is smooth as silk and single action breaks like glass.

"You gunna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

skltr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by skltr » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:49 am

Dry Swamp wrote:Just picked this beauty up a few months ago and lovin it! The action is smooth as silk and single action breaks like glass.

Very nice!

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 305tillimoved » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:55 pm

4" 686. Perfect balance between concealability and weight/ weight distribution. Thats assuming youre trying to conceal...
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:39 pm

305tillimoved wrote:4" 686. Perfect balance between concealability and weight/ weight distribution. Thats assuming youre trying to conceal...
I'm partial to K-frames for concealed carry, and blued steel over stainless, for the lowered weight. A model 13, fixed sights for snag free draw.
Brian