Want to test-shoot a big bore mag revolver

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
kayakingsteve

Want to test-shoot a big bore mag revolver

Post by kayakingsteve » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:32 pm

This may seem like a weird request, but I keep getting nipped by magnum revolver fever. The problem is I've never shot anything stouter than some moderate .44mag loadings.

I hear stories about a lot of guys buying a S&W .460, 500, Ruger .454 etc... and then deciding they hate shooting them, so they sit in the box till they sell them...

Does anyone here have a .460, 475 linebaugh, 500 Smith or anything stout they plan on shooting at the range anytime soon that I could put 20 rounds through? I'll chip in for range time and buy the ammo... Would like to try one before I invest in one...

Thanks!

w296

Re: Want to test-shoot a big bore mag revolver

Post by w296 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:31 am

you would be welcome to shoot my .454 if you find yourself in the Jacksonville area
Life member N.R.A.
I never meet a gun I didn't like , just some more than others. :)

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:36 am

I have a .460 if you are down this way.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Casey Birchwood

Post by Casey Birchwood » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:01 am

Bullseye range in Jacksonville has a S&W .500 mag. you can rent.

mitch96

Post by mitch96 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 am

I recently shot a Taurus .454 casull with a 6"bbl. Very suprised how the recoil was not that bad. Great grips softend the blow.. And it will shoot the .45 LC ammo also..

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:27 am

I bought a .460 because of the ammo diversity. You can pop off some cowboy load .45LC and it will seem like a pellet gun. These are also creampuffs: http://www.underwoodammo.com/45coltlong ... f50-1.aspx

Then you can move up through various .45LC loads, .454 Casull and into .460 if you want to part your hair with each shot. Do I need it? No, it was just for shits and giggles. With the .45LC I can shoot it semi-affordably since I don't reload currently.

With a .500 you have to roll your own to (a) not mortgage the house and (b) have a load that does not always punish you. I realize it is the biggest dick in the room, but I am not a size queen. Outside of grizzly country, I can't see it. Really, a .44mag is the largest "need" revolver there is. There are some off-the-shelf loads for .44mag that will curl your short hairs (obviously you can load all kinds of insane loads):

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerheadplusp.html

http://www.underwoodammo.com/44remingto ... xof20.aspx

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... etail&p=54
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

ipagan

Post by ipagan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:56 pm

come to apopak i got a few

kayakingsteve

Post by kayakingsteve » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:45 am

Hey thanks for all the help and offers! Hadn't checked the forum in a little bit. I'm still mulling the problem over but it sounds like there is some good insight up there. Sounds like a good .44 load could kill anything alive today (short of a Blue Whale, and they are very slow on land so probably not worried about them) :) and the .460 gives you the most options... When I have another 1k to spend on something I'll have to put more thought into this. /:f

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Not to rathole this topic but this discussion about shooting different cartridges in these big bores got me to thinking, can you safely shoot .45 Auto Rim in a .45LC, .454, .460? I looked at the case dimensions & it appears the .45AutoRim has a tapered case going from .476 at the base to .472 at the mouth while the .45LC is .482 straight... Would the .45AutoRim case split with a .010 difference at the mouth?

FWIW I know you can safely shoot a .45 Schofield in a .45LC, .454 & .460 for an even lighter load (I think of the Schofield as a .45LC lite.)

Thanks,

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

kayakingsteve

Post by kayakingsteve » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:46 pm

I'm no reloading expert, but from what I've learned so far, if you shot something with the smaller case dimensions than the chamber, you will probably wind up fire-forming the case to part of the chamber dimensions, in this case straight wall so probably just widen the brass a bit... (if it is close enough and healthy brass) a lot of wildcat rounds are fire formed that way, starting with some parent like a .223 to form a 7mm TCU for instance

birdman wrote:Not to rathole this topic but this discussion about shooting different cartridges in these big bores got me to thinking, can you safely shoot .45 Auto Rim in a .45LC, .454, .460? I looked at the case dimensions & it appears the .45AutoRim has a tapered case going from .476 at the base to .472 at the mouth while the .45LC is .482 straight... Would the .45AutoRim case split with a .010 difference at the mouth?

FWIW I know you can safely shoot a .45 Schofield in a .45LC, .454 & .460 for an even lighter load (I think of the Schofield as a .45LC lite.)

Thanks,

Allan