Model 69 smith lock up

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
frigate gunner

Model 69 smith lock up

Post by frigate gunner » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 am

Smith has changed the forward lock up point on the smith model 69, L-frame, 5 shot, 44mag. The traditional lock up at the ejector rod has been removed and set into the crane. Now this was a great design in the triple lock, with the word triple being the operative word. Taurus has been doing ths trick for years, but as I have handled, shot and been forced to troubleshoot every gun that even resembled a revolver I have my doubt to this lock up mechinism over the long term. If you esteemed ladies and gentlemen could chime in, upon your thoughts, in this particular conundrum I would be much obliged.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Model 69 smith lock up

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:01 am

I think only time will tell if the L-frame + triple lock will hold up to 44mag loads. I'm an N-frame fan, so I won't be taking the plunge. I'm also not a 44 shooter. I'd love to get my hands on one to take it apart, but I'm not going to pay the money that is required.

Being a Smith fan, I've never bought a big bore taurus, although I've had a few rimfires pass though my collection. I did not know they used another locking point on the crane.

EDIT: I'm obviously not a gunsmith. You might get better discussion over on the S&W forum, http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams