Identify my SW Revolver Please!

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
supertones31
Executive Member
Executive Member

Identify my SW Revolver Please!

Post by supertones31 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:26 am

US Service CTG .38 special Serial Number E994 on the frame where the cylinder comes out
22993 on the bottom of the handle

The only history I have is that it was owned by a Chicago cop "back in the day.' It also comes w/ a leather holster that is stamped VL&A Chicago 205 DB

If anyone could give me some more history and price info, that'd be great.
Thanks!

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Identify my SW Revolver Please!

Post by jmikeb653 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:40 pm

According to my copy of "The Standard Catalog of S&W" the ser# range for years 1902-1903 is 20976-33803 so your revolver would fall into early to mid-1902 yr production. 1902 was the year they started the ".38 Military & Police 2nd Model" as the M&P 1st model came out in 1899. It is fairly rare but i am not sure how collectable. The next model change came fairly quickly in late 1903 with ser.# 33804 ---- ".38 M&P Model 1902 - 1st Change" ...... the scroll on the bbl of your revolver should read exactly " 38 S&W Special & U.S. Service Ctg." Prices range from $85 to $650 depending on condition..... my book is 6 years old and prices on collectables have dropped since the book came out..... check out http://smith-wessonforum.com/ for more info, and of course [ Completed!!!! very important ] auction results on Gunbroker etc. to get real time values..... some of those overpriced idiots on those auction sites are nuts and never sell anything " Fugate " on Gunbroker for example. As far as the markings go.... i have no idea.... i was born in Chicago and the famously corrupt Sheriff Hartmann was my Great-Uncle [ see the movie "The Front Page" ] but Chicago had many different Railroad Police for the various rail-lines that had their headquarters in Chicago. As well as Chicago Park Police, Cook Co. Sheriffs Dept. , Chicago Police Dept., & The various seperate cities in the greater Chicagoland area. The gun can be lettered by Roy Jinks, the official S&W historian & if sold to the CPD it would probably add value but i think a letter is $75 or more now..... you would have to decide on that, Hope this helps.... Jim
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

supertones31
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Identify my SW Revolver Please!

Post by supertones31 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks, Jim, a lot of info in that post. Just joined the S&W and posted in their antique thread. [smilie=cheers1.gif]