S&W 340PD Ti Cylinder

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
jimandsue60

S&W 340PD Ti Cylinder

Post by jimandsue60 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:36 pm

I bought a 340PD a few months ago, it has the scandium frame and the titanium cylinder. There are plenty of warnings about cleaning and ammo weight. It is my every day carry and have shot it quite a bit at the range using 38+P and .357. I use 125 & 158 grain for target practice and keep 125 grain in it for defense. The gun is limited to 120 grain or more for .357. I am comfortable with it and shoot it well. My other revolvers are all stainless and I like to keep them very clean. You can probably guess where this is going :ham'r. I tried to get the burn rings off the face of the cylinder and removed some of the protective coating. After doing that I really liked the shine of the face, knowing that I may be ruining the cylinder I decided to polish the rest of the cylinder. I did contact Smith and they suggested I keep an eye on for erosion of the face. I will do that. A replacement Stainless cylinder installed at the factory is @ 150 dollars, I can handle that if the cylinder starts to erode. Any way here is a photo of the gun unaltered (borrowed from Bud's) along with my creation. I do have some small scratches I still need to polish out. I also added a Crimson Trace laser grip.

Jim

Sanibel Island

Our Web page http://www.jimandsusan.com

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Re: S&W 340PD Ti Cylinder

Post by Ironman » Tue May 01, 2012 7:02 pm

I carry the same gun with a clip draw. It's been my carry gun for 2 years in a row. Love it.

jimandsue60

Post by jimandsue60 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Ironman wrote:I carry the same gun with a clip draw. It's been my carry gun for 2 years in a row. Love it.
You feel comfortable with only the clip draw and nothing protecting the trigger? I use an IWB nemesis holster, it is very comfy.

Jim
Sanibel Island

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Wed May 02, 2012 8:03 am

Id be concerned with a gun that has so many warning about this that, ammo, cleaning yadda yadda. weird for SW, though one day Ill have a NightGuard so NOICE!!!
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

jimandsue60

Post by jimandsue60 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:37 pm

NonConformist wrote:Id be concerned with a gun that has so many warning about this that, ammo, cleaning yadda yadda. weird for SW, though one day Ill have a NightGuard so NOICE!!!
The gun has been around for quite a while with not a lot of complaints. It is a joy to carry!

Jim
Sanibel Island

mrqueue

Post by mrqueue » Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 pm

This is what I bought when I first got my CCW, didn't know the cylinder looks like that under a coating?

Is that the rubber version of the Crimson grip? I was just looking at them and noticed two types, a hard polymer and a rubber version.

Does it make it easier on your hand(s)?

Looks pretty cool!!
Expendable

situationalray
Life Member
Life Member

Post by situationalray » Sat May 19, 2012 12:12 pm

I dont think that looks bad jimandsue60. plus if its your ccw who cares how it looks, just watch to see if the cylinder starts to erode like s&w cs said

Im waiting on the release of the raven concealment vanguard 2 for the jframe revolvers.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/01/24/sh ... nguard-ii/