Contract Postal Units - The same as US Post Offices?

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Contract Postal Units - The same as US Post Offices?

Post by FfNJGTFO » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:41 pm

This question was raised in a different forum.
Are these locations covered by the same cc laws that pertain to the actual post office locations?I.E. No guns on parking lot or inside. These sites are located in places like gas stations etc. If so can these rules be applied to any place postal services are available.
While I didn't raise the issue over there, it is important to me as my main PO box is in a Contract Postal unit. My business PO box is in a USPO facility and I cannot carry there. In fact, that facility has magnetometers at the entrance to the main service window area (the Lobby were the boxes are does not have them). I'm not exactly sure what they alert on, since people walk in there all the time with smartphones on their hips. Maybe it's the sames ones as in retail stores that are there to prevent theft. There is a small gift shop inside the enclosed area.

Thoughts?

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Contract Postal Units - The same as US Post Offices?

Post by czharry » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:27 pm

Legally, I don't know. However, my opinion would be, if it is a contract unit it's not the USPS. Like if it were a stationery store or a small grocery store that had a contract PO. I would be perfectly comfortable carrying there.
There's a storm coming.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:40 am

czharry wrote:Legally, I don't know. However, my opinion would be, if it is a contract unit it's not the USPS. Like if it were a stationery store or a small grocery store that had a contract PO. I would be perfectly comfortable carrying there.
In my particular case, the CPU occupies the entire space in a building that houses three business storefront units. It would be the equivalent of a UPS Store with PO boxes in a strip mall. It caries the colors of the USPO, and there are signs that you would see along the route towards it that say "Post Office." But it definitely says "Contract Postal Unit" on the outside, and they don't have all the services of a full USPO (i.e. they don't do money orders, etc.).

Someone in that other thread posted this response:
If the location is not "posted" then it is not postal property for the purpose of firearms.

39 CFR 232.1 - Conduct on postal property.

These rules and regulations apply to all real property under the charge and control of the U.S. Postal Service®, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. These rules and regulations must be kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/39/232.1
I don't believe my unit "leases" the space from the USPS. And I don't see prominent "postings" regarding firearms. I probably feel safe carrying in the Box area, but I might not do so inside the counter service area. Besides, it's a very small area and gets very crowded at this time of year. People will bump each other. Someone will wonder what all that "heavy metal" is...

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:58 am

FfNJGTFO wrote:.......... I don't believe my unit "leases" the space from the USPS. And I don't see prominent "postings" regarding firearms. I probably feel safe carrying in the Box area, but I might not do so inside the counter service area....
OK, I'm seeing this as a private company that has, as one of its services, a contract with the USPS to collect mail. Don't know if they are actual government employees, but I may not 'belly-up' to the counter.
I'd be OK carrying.
FfNJGTFO wrote:...
Besides, it's a very small area and gets very crowded at this time of year. People will bump each other. Someone will wonder what all that "heavy metal" is...
In this case, if it were the only place I was going to, I probably would not carry in this, crowded, bumping, rubbing, scenario.
There's a storm coming.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:28 pm

No. Contract stations are not USPS/Federal property.
Last edited by 870Mike on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:31 pm

FfNJGTFO wrote:In fact, that facility has magnetometers at the entrance to the main service window area (the Lobby were the boxes are does not have them). I'm not exactly sure what they alert on...
Those are anti-shoplifting sensors, not "magnetometers"...

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:35 pm

FfNJGTFO wrote: Besides, it's a very small area and gets very crowded at this time of year. People will bump each other. Someone will wonder what all that "heavy metal" is...
If someone gets close enough to feel my "bumps", they're getting an elbow in the ribs. [-X

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:17 pm

870Mike wrote:
FfNJGTFO wrote:In fact, that facility has magnetometers at the entrance to the main service window area (the Lobby were the boxes are does not have them). I'm not exactly sure what they alert on...
Those are anti-shoplifting sensors, not "magnetometers"...

As I suspected above...
FfNJGTFO in the OP wrote:Maybe it's the sames ones as in retail stores that are there to prevent theft. There is a small gift shop inside the enclosed area.
Interesting picture. It looks almost exactly like my facility. May I ask from where did you get that photo?

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:54 pm

FfNJGTFO wrote:Interesting picture. It looks almost exactly like my facility. May I ask from where did you get that photo?
That's my post office.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:34 pm

" No guns on parking lot"
Screw that, my USPS post office is in a large shopping center. So nobody going to any store in that shopping center can carry in the parking lot? Yeah right. GARY