Open carry a step closer?

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
tector
Life Member
Life Member

Open carry a step closer?

Post by tector » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:22 am

SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Open carry a step closer?

Post by P5 guy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 am

For instance, he said, if an officer arrives at the scene of a crime and sees someone with a weapon, “At a minimum, they’re going to be thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”
And if good citizen with a concealed weapon walks into, say, a bank during an armed robbery, Gualtieri added, “he’s going to take one in the chest because he’s a threat.”
“It’s not good for Florida, it’s not good for the economy, it’s not good for tourism,” he said.
Worthless bungholer. [smilie=042.gif] [smilie=014.gif]

No one would expect any better from the liberal pesthole Pinellas County. :ham'r

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:56 am

OMG, I can't wait! Won't open carry in public, just from my vehicle to my condo...which is infested with Liberal New Yorker's, Canadians Image and Rainbow Warriors.

Will have to get a GoPro too for documenting their reactions. =D>
Last edited by 870Mike on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:37 pm

870Mike wrote:OMG, I can't wait! Won't open carry in public, just from my vehicle to my condo...which is infested with Liberal New Yorker's, Canadians and Rainbow Warriors. Will have to get a GoPro too for documenting their reactions. =D>
I would OC just so Scott Israel could go f/;k himself.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:11 pm

tector wrote:I would OC just so Scott Israel could go f/;k himself.
Oh, absolutely. BSO has "warned" me before about stepping outside my shop, strapped (even though I own the building and the surrounding parking area). I will stand outside every morning drinking my coffee (sub-station is just down the street) and wave as they drive by. =:bye

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:36 pm

870Mike wrote:
tector wrote:I would OC just so Scott Israel could go f/;k himself.
Oh, absolutely. BSO has "warned" me before about stepping outside my shop, strapped (even though I own the building and the surrounding parking area). I will stand outside every morning drinking my coffee (sub-station is just down the street) and wave as they drive by. =:bye
Invite me over if the day comes.

Gear2Survive

Post by Gear2Survive » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Personally I am not a big fan of open carry and can't see a situation where I would. I would rather it be concealed. I am sure there may be people that it would have better uses for but not me. I am more interested in concealed carry on college campus which I think is part of the bill as well. I would like my son to be able to carry while he is on campus.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Gear2Survive wrote:Personally I am not a big fan of open carry and can't see a situation where I would. I would rather it be concealed. I am sure there may be people that it would have better uses for but not me. I am more interested in concealed carry on college campus which I think is part of the bill as well. I would like my son to be able to carry while he is on campus.
To each his own, but I could definitely see occasions to OC--after a big hurricane would be one. There are times where you just want the bad guys to shift their attentions to more helpless prey and the element of surprise is not the top consideration (consider it a lawful form of "brandishing").

Gear2Survive

Post by Gear2Survive » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 am

tector wrote:
Gear2Survive wrote:Personally I am not a big fan of open carry and can't see a situation where I would. I would rather it be concealed. I am sure there may be people that it would have better uses for but not me. I am more interested in concealed carry on college campus which I think is part of the bill as well. I would like my son to be able to carry while he is on campus.
To each his own, but I could definitely see occasions to OC--after a big hurricane would be one. There are times where you just want the bad guys to shift their attentions to more helpless prey and the element of surprise is not the top consideration (consider it a lawful form of "brandishing").
I can see in a scenario like that but in just the normal day to day scenario i would prefer the element of surprise. Just like bank security guards are sitting ducks I think a citizen that open carries is as well. If i am a bad guy I will first disarm or take out anyone I see with a gun first.

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:03 pm

Boy...there sure is a lot of "I's" in your statement...Kinda like "I want what I want and #&$^ everybody else.".
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Is this ready for a final vote or does it have further to go in committee? Has the Governor expressed an opinion one way or the other?
You don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training.

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:33 pm

Even though I probably wouldn't do it except for certain circumstances, I hope it happens cause it isn't that big of a deal.

30 days after the law passes, the "Hey! Everybody! Look at ME!" idiots will have discovered that a 6" model 29 Smith, or a dual colts cowboy rig on ones hip is a heavy uncomfortable, inconvenient pain in the ass to haul around all day, and they will put them back in the safe.

Then the only people OCing will be carrying Glock 42s and Kel-Tecs in light, discrete holsters, and the whole thing will become as common as wearing cell phones.
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

rip2k3

Post by rip2k3 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Looks like they are moving forward.

Both House bills HB163 and HB4001 say below:

HB163
2/10/2016 Senate
• In Messages
• Referred to Criminal Justice; Judiciary; Rules

HB4001
2/10/2016 Senate
• In Messages
• Referred to Criminal Justice; Higher Education; Judiciary; Rules

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm

RIP OC (until next year we hope...): [smilie=014.gif]

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpol ... -says.html

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:01 pm

molivo wrote:
Boy...there sure is a lot of "I's" in your statement...Kinda like "I want what I want and #&$^ everybody else.".
Yup, I only support the liberty I like! @#$% your liberty ](*,)
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:02 pm

The Gun Owner Who Killed Florida's Legislative Gun Bills

One state senator fended off gun bills, but next year, he won't be in a position to stop them.

State Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, owns a gun and has had a concealed carry permit for more than a decade.

And yet he singlehandedly has killed in the Legislature this year bills that would allow concealed carry permit holders to openly carry firearms, to carry them on college campuses, and to carry them in airport terminals.

As chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Diaz de la Portilla decides what bills get a hearing there. All the gun bills were assigned to his committee, and he refused to hear them all, effectively killing them.

Ask Diaz de la Portilla what it feels like to be pigeonholed in the anti-gun box, and he'll tell you, "I don't think I'm an anti-gun guy. I'm a pro-common sense guy."

The senator did not come to Tallahassee hoping to stem gun-rights expansion in Florida. He wanted to do something about mental health in a state that ranks 49th out of all the states in per capita mental health funding. He wanted to do something about infrastructure in a state that relies almost exclusively on aging highways for its transportation. He wanted to do something about wages in a state where the minimum wage is set at $8.05 an hour.

"I really believe a lot of the problems we have in our society have to do with untreated mental illness or undiagnosed mental illness," Diaz de la Portilla said. "And I want to make sure people who work have a living wage and are able to provide for their families with dignity."

Instead, guns.

"I just don't think any of these bills are necessary," Diaz de la Portilla said. "And I don't think any of these bills have anything to do with gun rights. They have to do with public safety, and I don't think any of these bills make us any safer. In fact, quite the opposite."

Florida is one of only four states in the country that completely bans openly carrying firearms. And the state's law regulating concealed carry permits includes many areas in which even concealed weapons are not permitted. They include college campuses, airport terminals, police stations, courtrooms, and legislative and other government meetings.

Many of those restrictions have long irked gun-rights advocates, especially the ban on open carry, because they say permit holders who inadvertently expose a gun could be in legal trouble.

But law enforcement largely opposes open carry on safety grounds, and university presidents and campus police oppose allowing concealed weapons on campuses. Nevertheless both bills were approved by the House, largely along party line votes.

The Diaz de la Portilla name is a political brand in Miami. Brother Alex is a former state senator and state representative. Brother Renier is a former state representative and school board member. Miguel's first elected office was the Miami-Dade County Commission, where he took a seat in 1993. He was 30 years old. When Alex Diaz de la Portilla left the Senate in 2010, Miguel Diaz de la Portilla took his place. The DLPs — as they're known in political circles — have become one of the most powerful political families in South Florida.

Just inside the door to Diaz de la Portilla's suite in the Senate Office Building is a framed Jan. 2000 newspaper article by CBS4's Jim DeFede, who then wrote for the Miami New Times. "These are heady days for the Diaz de la Portilla clan," the story begins.

If 2000 was a high water mark for the Diaz de la Portillas — and it was, with brother Alex on his way to the state Senate, brother Renier heading to the state House, and Miguel coming off of seven years on the Miami-Dade County Commission — then 2016 could be the winter of DLP discontent.

After 10 years in the Florida Senate, Alex lost a bid to return to the state House in 2012 with an upset victory by state Rep. Jose Javier Rodriguez, D-Miami. Renier lost a judicial race in 2014. And with state Senate redistricting finally completed after five years and multiple lawsuits, Miguel finds himself in a district that voted for Barack Obama 54-46 in 2012.

Of course, standing up to gun advocates actually improves his odds in a Democratic district, but Diaz de la Portilla says his decisions were based on public safety, not political concerns.

And despite getting more attention for the hot-button issues his Judiciary Committee hears — or in the case of the gun bills, doesn't hear — this session has seen movement on at least one of Diaz de la Portilla's main issues. A bill he has sponsored that would set up mental health courts to get treatment for defendants who suffer from mental illness is ready for a floor vote in the House and has one more committee stop in the Senate, making its passage fairly likely.

Diaz de la Portilla estimates some 160,000 to 170,000 mentally ill are arrested each year in Florida, and he believes treatment would accomplish more for public safety than allowing guns on college campuses.

As for the gun bills, next year will see a new Senate President in state Sen. Joe Negron, R-Stuart. He will install his own committee chairs, so the Judiciary Committee will likely get a new leader. Whoever it is, he or she will be thrown into the same rough seas that have battered Diaz de la Portilla the last two sessions, because National Rifle Assoiciation lobbyist Marion Hammer has vowed that the bills will return to the Legislature until they are passed.

"I think there's a reason why every college and university president and all campus law enforcement are all against campus carry. And with open carry, same thing. There's a reason why professional law enforcement is against it," Diaz de la Portilla said. "Just because you have a concealed carry permit and just because you have a handgun doesn't mean you're trained to respond in an emergency situation."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florid ... story.html

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:44 pm

you would think with a Republican Governor, a Republican House, and a Republican Senate, that Florida would be more attuned to gun issues. It's not the liberal dhimmicrats that are hurting gun rights in Florida, it's liberal Republicans.
May the Bonnie Blue wave forever

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Great_wun

Post by Great_wun » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Mannlicher wrote:you would think with a Republican Governor, a Republican House, and a Republican Senate, that Florida would be more attuned to gun issues. It's not the liberal dhimmicrats that are hurting gun rights in Florida, it's liberal Republicans.
I completely agree!

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Mannlicher wrote:you would think with a Republican Governor, a Republican House, and a Republican Senate, that Florida would be more attuned to gun issues. It's not the liberal dhimmicrats that are hurting gun rights in Florida, it's liberal Republicans.
Keep voting for the Republican party and staying loyal to them no matter their transgressions against liberty, eventually, you lose power over them and even sacred liberties like 2A get thrown to the side (speaking generally, not toward you specifically).

The Republican party is not held to account by its registered voters, so what incentive do they have to stay true to liberty?
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

Srasel79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Srasel79 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Bill would allow openly carrying guns - Story | WOFL
http://www.fox35orlando.com/news/local- ... 7047-story

Not going to pass, it has to much bundled with it.