Hot weather and handguns

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
BIG JOE

Re: Hot weather and handguns

Post by BIG JOE » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:57 am

Everyone is different what works for me might not work for you. 2 things are 1 get a good belt & 2 the right holster important.
I carry OWB with Galco pancake holster. As far as the heat this is Florida get used to it.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:39 am

No problems with the heat Big Joe, not complaining one bit, beats the hell outa 15-25 degrees and shoveling snow anytime of the week ...just trying to get a comfortable solution to carrying a handgun in humid conditions, I carried one for many months in Southeast Asia, didn't really give a rats arse then whether it rusted or not just wanted to make sure it went bang when I pulled the trigger _: _: and it did and I'm living proof ... [smilie=cheers1.gif]

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:27 pm

I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 44 spl in a deep cover IWB SUMMER HEAT by Lefty Lewis through Bell Charter Oak.

http://bellcharteroakholsters.com/iwb.html

I dress in jeans, tee shirt with a collared shirt. I don't button up the shirt nor tuck it in. I wear at 4:00 and all is good .

I also carry at times my 1911A1 in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig, dressed the same way.

A friend of mine told me when I went to CC that I would most likely go through 5 holsters till I found the "right" one. He was right.

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Yeah I will agree it takes some time and different gear to find out what works for you. 5 different holsters sounds about right.
I wear shorts and a good belt. I bought 2 belts from Boston Leather 4 years ago and I am still using the first one. 1 piece of leather and no stitching to rot out. I put on a light tank top tucked in to keep the holster/weapon from rubbing on bear skin. And yes I do have a big fat gut to cover as well. Then I put on a pair of suspenders the kind that clip under the belt not the shorts. A Galco OWB Pancake holster with 2 belt loops at about 3:00 o'clock. Check everything is tight, holster in your preferred position, weapon check good holster your weapon. Last pick out your favorite Hawaiian shirt or something with patterns on it. These work much better than one plain color.
Button up 3 or 4 buttons of your cool shirt, check it out for fit and no printing and your good to go. I have used this method 4 years now with a full size 45 down to my S&W M&P Shield 9MM and never a problem. The tank top soaks up the sweat so your cool Florida shirt stays dry. It also fits right in here in So Fl. This is what works for me. It might not work for you. You just have to try different combinations until you find the one that works the best for you. Hope this helps Trouter and good luck.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

mpk585

Post by mpk585 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:02 am

uncle mikes s&w 642