Hot weather and handguns

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
poprivit

Hot weather and handguns

Post by poprivit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:57 pm

What, or how, do you carry concealed when it's 95 and 90%?

I used to carry in a vest, but now that I live here (8 months), I find it waaay too uncomfortable to wear anything but shorts and t-shirt. I used to carry a S&W 342 PD in an Uncle Mike's. Been thinking about a North American Arms with its self-contained flip holster. I could carry that in a pocket.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Hot weather and handguns

Post by flashooter22 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:16 pm

I carry a Glock 27 daily in one of my kydex IWB holsters in shorts and a t shirt. As long as you have a belt it is fine. Depending on the body type and clothing you wear, appendix carry is a good way to go, however it doesnt work for me. Buy a holster that is better than an Uncle Mikes. They dont conceal worth a damn, and collapse after you draw making it impossible to re-holster correctly.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:07 pm

flashooter22 wrote: Buy a holster that is better than an Uncle Mikes.
The wisdom is strong here.
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:47 pm

I normally carried a g27 owb holster. Now i carry my new g43 iwb holster or just drop it in my cargo short pocket. I have never liked iwb but with the g43 it feels much better.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

draggindakota
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by draggindakota » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:54 am

I carry in an Old Faithful hybrid holster year round. Shorts, pants, whatever, as long as you have a belt. I don't notice any difference from the heat/humidity.
Why would you want to give away any of your rights or freedoms? Just because one jack wagon doesn't have an elevator worth Andre 3000 doesn't mean that I should have my privileges taken away.

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:57 am

flashooter22 wrote:I carry a Glock 27 daily in one of my kydex IWB holsters in shorts and a t shirt. As long as you have a belt it is fine. Depending on the body type and clothing you wear, appendix carry is a good way to go, however it doesnt work for me. Buy a holster that is better than an Uncle Mikes. They dont conceal worth a damn, and collapse after you draw making it impossible to re-holster correctly.
Check out the holsters made by Bullseye out of Jacksonville. http://bullseyeholsters.com/
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:08 am

poprivit wrote:What, or how, do you carry concealed when it's 95 and 90%?

I used to carry in a vest, but now that I live here (8 months), I find it waaay too uncomfortable to wear anything but shorts and t-shirt. I used to carry a S&W 342 PD in an Uncle Mike's. Been thinking about a North American Arms with its self-contained flip holster. I could carry that in a pocket.
The small North Americans are nice for size but you'll need to draw the hammer back for every shot. Look into a small .380 like the Kel-Tec P3AT, the Taurus TCP, or Ruger .380. All small enough to pocket carry, the costs are relatively the same or less as the North American, plus they are double action.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:51 am

boomboom wrote:
flashooter22 wrote:I carry a Glock 27 daily in one of my kydex IWB holsters in shorts and a t shirt. As long as you have a belt it is fine. Depending on the body type and clothing you wear, appendix carry is a good way to go, however it doesnt work for me. Buy a holster that is better than an Uncle Mikes. They dont conceal worth a damn, and collapse after you draw making it impossible to re-holster correctly.
Check out the holsters made by Bullseye out of Jacksonville. http://bullseyeholsters.com/
Not bad, however I prefer http://www.completeweaponsolutions.com/shop.html

=:bye /:f
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

poprivit

Post by poprivit » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks all, I'll look into the suggestions.

… Now, about carrying my S&W 500 concealed …?

It's only 7.5 inch bbl and 3.4 lb. [smilie=011.gif]

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:15 am

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

I have not seen this guy at gun shows for awhile. But this is the holsters that I carry in. They hold the gun tight and close to my fat waist.
[smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 am

poprivit wrote:What, or how, do you carry concealed when it's 95 and 90%?
Have you considered the other type holsters mentioned in the Sneaky Pete thread? Looks good for hot weather carry.
There's a storm coming.

screenerglenn
Life Member
Life Member

Post by screenerglenn » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:26 am

I carry S&W shield in a crossbreed iwb holster, hidden nicely

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave M » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 am

Dale Fricke holsters

Sent from the TACC OPS Center

Shooter69

Post by Shooter69 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:12 pm

I carry my LCP in a leather pocket holster and if I really want to carry light I carry a North American Arms .22 in a pocket holster .
US Navy Vet, NRA Life member,

D_GUNNER

Post by D_GUNNER » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:09 am

I cant seem to find one for my Beretta nano or SR9C. Inside the IWB or OWB. It shouldn't mean I have to get an entire new wardrobe.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:09 pm

D_GUNNER wrote:I cant seem to find one for my Beretta nano or SR9C. Inside the IWB or OWB. It shouldn't mean I have to get an entire new wardrobe.
What type are you looking for? I have a Nano mold so can make them.

cdi919
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by cdi919 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 am

i carry a g26 in a raven concealment vanguard holster.
Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most.

rip2k3

Post by rip2k3 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:50 pm

I carry a Colt Government Model 380 in a Adams Custom leather hijacker model. Wear it under my tee shirt left out of waste band. Covers my big belly that way.

OKIE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OKIE » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:45 pm

To the op, I carry a 9mm IWB when I can, or a .380 in a leather pocket holster other times.
D_GUNNER wrote:I cant seem to find one for my Beretta nano or SR9C. Inside the IWB or OWB. It shouldn't mean I have to get an entire new wardrobe.
I got one of these for my sr9c and love it. n82 pro

https://www.n82tactical.com/products/holsters/

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:55 am

I find that now that I reside in Florida using leather products for ccw isn't very functional, especially IWB where it is in contact with my body, I'm a fairly active individual and sweat profusely, so with that said I've gone to desantis nemesis pocket holster with a extra mag compartment for my keltec P3-AT ....when I lived in Oregon there wasn't any problem since it is temperate climate ...any suggestions from you members on how you handle holsters in hot climates .....