9MM Compact

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
Gargoyle

Re: 9MM Compact

Post by Gargoyle » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:45 am

Don't forget about the Ruger LC9s, (the newer one that's striker-fired). I didn't like the mile-long trigger pull on the LCP and LC9 but on the LC9s it feels more like a Glock trigger.

RojasTKD

Post by RojasTKD » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:57 am

I don't think you really have to worry about the mag with the pinky extension. By all accounts the SHIELD is a great compact carry gun.

I just picked up a Bersa BP9cc and would recommend looking it up. There's a number of reviews on it. I have large hands and can get all my fingers on the grip. It's the same length as the SHIELD with the 8 round mag. Ask the videos Marian the light trigger pull and VERY short trigger reset, I can attest to this. If your comfortable with the light trigger pull it's worth the consideration.

If you want/need real small in a 9mm the Kahr CM9/PM9, Ruger LC9 and the Diamondback DB9 are options to consider. I have the Diamondback DB9 and it's actually pocketable, something I really client do with the PM9 I used to own. Just know that you may have to put a little work into getting to Diamondback to be reliable (fluff & buff, mag spring upgrades) or you might have a good one out of the box.

Good luck...
Last edited by RojasTKD on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
><>

Brandon H.
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Brandon H. » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:40 pm

My sister has a few hundred down the pipe on her M&P shield and she has the pinky extension, no problems at all. Maybe 300rds or so

I have a Glock 33 but I have a 9mm conversion barrel in it so it's pretty much a Glock 26. I love mine, but I really fell in love with that M&P.

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:29 am

Last month I purchased a S&W 9MM Shield. No safety. I took it to the range and put about 150 rounds of different types of ammo. No problems, chambered and fired everything I gave it. I like the pistol so far it shoots quite well. I like the 8 round magazine that fits my hand the best. I tried a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster, but I just did not like it. No bad words about Crossbreed I sent it back and they refunded my money. That holster was made a good quality I just could not make it work for me. So now I got a Galco OWB Stinger for carry. Similar to what I use to carry my full size 9MM. Unfortunately I had a small accident at home and have been resting since 4/9/15. Only dry firing with the new holster. Back to work Monday and then I will try it some more in live fire. I looked at the sig P290RS, but the night sights did not seem all that bright to me. I also looked at a sig P320. It seemed like a very nice weapon, but for $200.00 more. This is the first polymer pistol I have owned and fired. One thing about the Shield is that it has the heaviest springs in any semi auto I have ever fired. At first it was hard to use the slide stop because the springs were so heavy. That has since become much better now that the gun has some rounds thru it. The magazines have heavy springs also. At first I had a very hard time loading the last round into the magazine. It can be done, but it is not easy. I used my Up Lula loading tool and no problems. Again this has become easier the more the magazine is cycled. I will take it out this week and run the pistol so more. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guy's.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 305tillimoved » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:40 am

Shield is a great gun but there hasnt been a single instance that I had to wear my shield that my 9c wouldnt work. I see it more as a novelty BUG now.
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:25 pm

That may very well be true unless I can find a better way to carry it. Still like the gun.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

jsarms1

Post by jsarms1 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:21 am

jrsmiles wrote:
I'm still dreaming of a single stack slim Glock but that's like a rainbow unicorn I guess.
Whatcha talkin' about willis? They were always real [smilie=011.gif]

TheHobbiest
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TheHobbiest » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:56 pm

***only read the first page****

So I've carried I think the vast majority of current production concealable (relative I know) and I've got a bit of knowledge having work with these guns and sold them. Get a Glock 19 or smaller or a Ruger SR9c <<possibly the most underrated trigger on the market today.

Let me put this here>>>>IMHO
John Hancock

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Happened to be in the local [WPB] SS store, & I saw a pre owned 9mm Shield. Got a great price on it, & I decided to put some ammo through it before leaving the store. Cleaned the gun when I got home, & was amazed at how clean it looked. Called S&W the next day, & they told me the gun was made 10 weeks ago. So I guess the original owner didn't like it, but I sure do. The Rugers don't sell well, but right now, the Shields, Glock 43's, & XDS's are the most popular. GARY

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:08 pm

I'm keeping mine. Run Federal 124Gr HST through it. Nice combination. I really like the HST.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl