Greetings from Alaska

New to FSN? Drop in and say hi!
sbrigby

Greetings from Alaska

Post by sbrigby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:58 pm

I was born and raised in Central Florida, but moved to a tiny bush village in Alaska 3 years ago to work for a school district as their IT systems administrator. Living in Alaska as afforded me the opportunities and finances to let my firearms enthusiasm flourish. My firearms interests include hunting, daily protection, competitive shooting, and hobby gun-smithing.

I spend 9 months of the year living and working in Alaska, where I have access to the open Alaskan wilderness as my gun range. I spend the rest of the year traveling the lower 48 (mostly on the east coast). I'm always looking for a good range to shoot wherever I travel to, and fellow firearms enthusiasts to shoot with.

This summer, I spent the month of June shooting at the Heritage Guild (indoor range) in Easton, PA (home to my fiancé's family). The Hertiage Guild is an awesome range as they have what they call their "tactical range". It's a separate set of 16 lanes only available to those that have completed their "tactical qualifier". On this range you're allowed to shoot from the holster and rapid fire is permitted. Their computer controlled Mancon target carriers present some fun indoor drills.

Additionally I was able to participate in their Thursday night "Skills and Drills Night". On those nights we would go down range for a number of multiple target drills with various added elements such as no light, low light, strobe lights, moving targets, barriers, etc. While all the other shooters were running with full size Glocks, Sigs, 1911s and the like, all I had with me was my Glock 26 and IWB holster. But I kept up just fine. Throughout the month I put 2000+ rounds through what's been my daily summer carry. I am happily more confident and proficient with it than before.

I'm going to be spending the rest of my summer in the Winter Springs area of CF and am looking for a good range to shoot at. So far I don't see anything that's going to live up to my experience at the Heritage Guild, but I will take what I can get. I plan to shoot at least 3 times a week. I'm also hoping to find a good outdoor range as well where I can break in the latest AR-15 and AR-10 I built.

Any recommendations any one can make for ranges, group shoots, or competitive/tactical type shooting opportunities would be greatly appreciated.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Greetings from Alaska

Post by czharry » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Sorry, no recommendations here, but welcome to FSN.
There's a storm coming.

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:10 am

Welcome to the forum.
Some more experienced central Florida shooters will chip in soon.
I go to CFRP.com but, it is a membership club.
I have done Orlando Gun Club as indoors, one of the nicest facilities I've visited in the area
My BIL likes to go to Indian River Shooting Range but, I've never been
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:18 am

Welcome From Tampa Bay!
[smilie=cheers1.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Central Florida is a really big area do you have a general city in mind and how far you're willing to drive
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

sbrigby

Post by sbrigby » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:07 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:Central Florida is a really big area do you have a general city in mind and how far you're willing to drive
I'm in the Winter Springs/Oviedo area. I don't mind traveling up to 2 hours if it's worth it.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:32 am

Welcome from Taking Bay!

What part of Alaska? I met some fine folks in Gustavus and Hoonah last year, and a guy I know has some land near Tok.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

sbrigby

Post by sbrigby » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:09 pm

flcracker wrote:Welcome from Taking Bay!

What part of Alaska? I met some fine folks in Gustavus and Hoonah last year, and a guy I know has some land near Tok.
I live in the Iliamna Lake / Lake Clark area in a tiny bush village called Nondalton (pop. ~150). It's about an hour flight south of Anchorage.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:10 pm

sbrigby wrote:
flcracker wrote:Welcome from Taking Bay!

I live in the Iliamna Lake / Lake Clark area in a tiny bush village called Nondalton (pop. ~150). It's about an hour flight south of Anchorage.
Dang. I fished out of Homer about 10 years ago. Had no idea there was anything out there beyond those mountains across the big water.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!