New to FSN... question

New to FSN? Drop in and say hi!
CrossBones

New to FSN... question

Post by CrossBones » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:50 am

Hope picture attached.. hello. My father in law parsed this M1 paratrooper reproduction to me before his death. It was made by Iver Johnson Co NJ in the early 80's. some tell me it's illegal to own in Florida. I'm hoping to get some clarification here. Thanks in advance for education

CrossBones

Re: New to FSN... question

Post by CrossBones » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:53 am

Could not get pic to attach. It's .30 carbine

Beck77

Post by Beck77 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:48 am

Who is telling you it is illegal and why do they think so? If it has the normal 18" barrel it is just a rifle. If it has a 12" barrel it would be illegal anywhere unless it has been SBR'd correctly with the proper paperwork. Since most of the short barrel carbines were for military or foreign sales I would guess yours is the more common 18" barrel which is perfectly legal.

CrossBones

Post by CrossBones » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:29 am

Thank you for the reply beck77. It is not military issue. It is the 18" barrel version. A friend stated it was illegal as he was referring to it as a short barrel rifle. Thank you for the information.

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Post by IDPAMASTER » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Those "someone's" are ignorant. It's an 18" barrel if unmolested.
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:51 pm

Rifle
. A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of
an explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled barrel for each single pull
of the trigger.
A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to
measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel
or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

2.1.4 Weapon made from a rifle.
A weapon made from a rifle is a rifle type weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.

The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-n ... 2/download

CrossBones

Post by CrossBones » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:31 am

Thank you all for the clarification... yes "he" was quite mistaken..

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 pm

I have a rule: Anyone who tells me something is "illegal" is assumed to be wrong until I check it out for myself, especially when dealing with firearms. [-(

If I had a $1 for every idiot piece of legal advice heard from gun shop employees/customers, I'd be able to buy any rifle I wanted.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike