Is it legal to turn a Mosin rifle into a pistol?

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 pm
Location: Central Brevard

Re: Is it legal to turn a Mosin rifle into a pistol?

Post by Gregg » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Where it is legal with your state, county and city; you can turn any long gun into a short barreled rifle (SBR) or a short barreled shotgun (SBS).
The catch is you have to get the BATF paperwork approved before you start doing anything.
You can down load the form right off the BATF web site, fill it out, get fingerprinted, get photos and get a law enforcement agency head to sing off on the form.
Once you get all that done, send the paperwork off with a check in the amount of $200 to the BATF.
Then wait for six or more months for the approval to come back.

As to how manufacturors do it, they have a manufacturing FFL to do so.
There are a number of firms that will do a SRB for you, but you still have to do the BATF paperwork and pay the transfer tax.
As to all the PPSH Pistols out there, the receivers are newly manufactured and registered as pistol receivers by the manufacturer.

My son has a store bought Remington 870 shotgun that is not more than 12 inches long, it is called a Serbu Supper Shorty.
I SBR'ed my semi-auto Suomi M31 and my semi-auto Thompson M1.
Total cost was $400 and about 8 months waiting on the BATF.


User avatar
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 23278
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: Is it legal to turn a Mosin rifle into a pistol?

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 pm

yeah =:wvr we know all that but thanks , hey check out the NFA forum we have here [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Post Reply