Anyone have a Martini Cadet?

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Anyone have a Martini Cadet?

Post by Odessaman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Must be getting old - I'm on a single shot rifle binge.

Anyone have a Martini Cadet? They're a training rifle made for Australia by BSA. Original caliber is .310 Cadet (or .310 Greener) - similar to our .32-20.
These miniature Martini actions make a great base for a custom single shot - everything from plinkers in .22 LR to bench target rifles in larger calibers. I think rebarreling one in .357 magnum would be a lot of fun, and versatile.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

Villafuego

Re: Anyone have a Martini Cadet?

Post by Villafuego » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:03 pm

If you can get a copy of the 1972 "NRA Gunsmithing Guide", there is an excellent multi-page write up on building on the Cadet Martinis......technical, detailed, and illustrated

He did a very nice sporter in .22K Hornet......

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 pm

I have one in 22 Hornet, (actually, a small frame #7 BSA) and a Cadet in 38 SPl.
.357 would not overpower the action, some are in 32 Win Special.
The .310 is a heeled bullet, like a .22LR, but many Cadets have oversize bores and can shoot 32-20 just as they are.
I'm a singleshot rifle guy if you want to PM.
Aaron
outside of a dog, a gun is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to shoot.

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks, guys -
I'll look for that gunsmithing guide, Villafuego.

I just picked up two Cadet receivers and parts from a guy that lost interest in the projects. One came with the original pulled barrel and one has been rebarrelled, but the seller had no idea what caliber - looks like a 6.5mm bottlenecked cartridge. Doesn't matter - I'll be pulling that barrel anyway. One's going to end up in .357 and the other I'm thinking about .327 Federal Magnum. I understand Winchester Model 12 stocks can be adapted to these frames for a pistol grip - have to recontour the loading lever.

Rebel - too bad you're not closer. I also just got a Remington Rolling Block #1 for a good price - looks like it was originally in .43 Spanish, but someone converted it to carbine length and smooth bored it a long time ago. That one will be getting a Green Mountain barrel in .45 Colt. If I hadn't blown my project budget with the Cadets, I'd really consider getting the frame and trigger guard color case hardened.

I'll try to document the progress.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 pm

I have an extra model 12 stock, and could use an extra barrel if you care to trade +/-
My #7 BSA is a takedown.
Here is a good website for you:
http://rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Model_4.html
He has parts too.
Aaron

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:20 pm

Wow - that's a beauty. I like the takedown feature and the tang sight.

I've already got a Model 12 stock - bought it before the Cadets even arrived - but I'll let you know what I decide to do with the factory barrel.

Here they are:

And here's the stock. There's a couple of cracks in the wrist to repair, but the grain on this stock is fantastic. Now I need to find some fancy walnut for a matching forearm.

~ Odessaman ~

― Mark Twain

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 am

I have an extra tang sight too.
Aaron

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Gathering components for these projects. Awaiting delivery of this Marlin octagonal barrel in .32-20 I just bought. If the bore is decent and slugs out appropriately, I'll likely cut the existing chamber off at the neck, re-chamber to .32 H&R magnum and have it turned down and re-threaded for the Cadet receiver. It's from a Model 27-S pump rifle, so it was made sometime between 1909 and 1932, and should plenty safe for the modern smokeless factory rounds and reasonable handloads I've got in mind for this gun.I was initially interested in .327 Federal Magnum, but .32 H&R operates at less than half the pressure of the .327, while still giving me the option of shooting .32 S&W Long or .32 S&W.

I'm hoping the octagon barrel matches up reasonably well to the front contours of the Cadet receiver.

The barrel is 24" long, and I'm thinking 20" to 22" is where this one will end up. I'm considering taking an inch or so off the muzzle end, and having it turned down and threaded .5" x 28 to accept a 9mm suppressor. Then, take the stub that was cut off, bore it out and have it threaded to create a thread protector that matches the barrel profile. Maybe secure it with ball bearing detents.

Anyway, that's my thought process so far.
~ Odessaman ~

― Mark Twain

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Wanna sell the front sight off that puppy?
Aaron

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Rebel wrote:Wanna sell the front sight off that puppy?
Aaron
I want to take a look at it first - seller says it's missing the spring and the globe is bent out of round slightly. Main reason I bought it was the caliber and contour, but another reason was for the sight - always wanted to try a combo like that. In fact, before I bought this, I was looking at the version sold by Montana Vintage Arms'.

~ Odessaman ~

― Mark Twain

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:48 pm

MVA makes a fine sight, but Ebay has originals and they are a bit different from the MVA.
Aaron

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Here is my Cadet in 38 special, sorry for the messy bench

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Rebel wrote:Here is my Cadet in 38 special, sorry for the messy bench
Very nice. And what messy bench? I can still see the top of it!
~ Odessaman ~

― Mark Twain