Receiver material/project build advice

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Receiver material/project build advice

Post by Jonathanw » Sat May 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Hello,

I am currently working on a project gun, I have figured out my conceptual design. Now I'm working on figuring out which material would provide the best strength for my build while still being workable in available milling machines that I will have access to.

So the gun receiver is similar to an AR design, in the sense that a lot of the pressure from shooting the round is focused on the bolt, carrier, barrel, locking lugs, which means the upper receiver shell can be aluminum and not go KA-BOOM.
I would like to use 7075 aluminum however i can not weld in my trunnion so I was wondering can you rivet inplace a steel or aluminum trunnion from a aluminum receiver wall? Kinda like how am AK trunnion is riveted in place.

6061 is weldable however it is almost half the strength of 7075 so I don't think it is wise to use that material for the upper receiver . A good candidate for the lower however.

Any advice is appropriated, I am new to learning about studying metals so correct any information I may be wrong about.
Last edited by Jonathanw on Sun May 22, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Receiver material/project build advice

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:06 pm

think steel trunion pinned in place, across alum frame ?? , recessed lugs in the aluminum shell where its movement is very limited , slipped in from top or bottom ??
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Sat May 21, 2016 9:34 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:think steel trunion pinned in place, across alum frame ?? , recessed lugs in the aluminum shell where its movement is very limited , slipped in from top or bottom ??
Are those suggestions or questions [smilie=011.gif]

If I'm reading it correctly, your idea of how to secure the receiver and trunnion seems like a great way to do it. I just want to make sure the rivets/pins won't crack or damage the receiver

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:34 am

Steel lugs screwed to the inside of an aluminum shotgun receiver usually don't break ?? A channel or recess would strengthen it and the pins merely hold it from falling out ....this the slip in channel
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Fri May 27, 2016 7:41 am

Anyone know What material is the ar15 gas key made of?

MomentArms

Post by MomentArms » Fri May 27, 2016 8:24 am

4140 28-32RC

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Fri May 27, 2016 9:29 am

MomentArms wrote:4140 28-32RC
Thank you