Can I Remove These Screws?

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Can I Remove These Screws?

Post by 870Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:34 pm

Trying to "bling out" the ole lady's SAA Colt Frontier Scout. Bought some gold screws to replace the blued screws. Can I remove the (hammer & trigger) screws and swap without all the "guts" going everywhere (or must I strip to the frame and re-assemble)?

"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Can I Remove These Screws?

Post by 305tillimoved » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Ya...you should be fine. Let us know how it goes.

[smilie=011.gif]
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:17 pm

305tillimoved wrote:Ya...you should be fine. Let us know how it goes.
I finally post something SERIOUS and you gotta bust my nutz! :ber

I know on some guns, you can remove/replace screws without issue, but others are under tension and act as pins holding everything together under tension. I don't want to strip this all the way down if I don't have to...

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:54 pm

The hammer you probably will not have an issue with but the trigger will probably be pushed further into the gun if you remove the screw all the way out

there is a spring underneath the trigger guard/backstrap that is the trigger return spring you would be better off just removing the bottom trigger guard and then there is one screw holding a spring that holds the cylinder stop and applies pressure to the trigger once you take that out you are good to go to replace the trigger screw...then just replace cyl stop and trigger spring and screw....re install the trigger guard

I'm just curious did you have to buy specialty screws or were you able to find that same thread pitch somewhere else
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:00 pm

with the trig guard/backstrap removed this is what it should look like, remove that big head screw ( retaining the cyl stop and trigger ) and then take out the trigger cross screw,
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:The hammer you probably will not have an issue with but the trigger will probably be pushed further into the gun if you remove the screw all the way out.

I'm just curious did you have to buy specialty screws or were you able to find that same thread pitch somewhere else
What if I slid a punch in from the other side to keep everything in place? The gun is in great shape and the less I take it apart, the less chance I have to muck it up.

Bought the screws from Numrich. They have blued, stainless and gold for this model.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:27 pm

A punch might work, the return spring will apply upward pressure on the cross screw, if you are able to pull down on the trigger a little too it might help, worst case if the punch doesn't work , you'll have to take it apart because forcing a punch back through the hole if you loose the trigger will probably scratch something or mash the threads

look at your new screw....are the threads on the top portion of the screw or at the bottom ?? if on the bottom, just be careful forcing the punch in, you will want one about the same diameter as the trigger cross screw

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Thx. Will let you know how it goes.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:01 pm

I hate it when Rent is right... [smilie=014.gif]

Thanks! :ber
Rentprop1 wrote:The hammer you probably will not have an issue with but the trigger will probably be pushed further into the gun if you remove the screw all the way out

there is a spring underneath the trigger guard/backstrap that is the trigger return spring you would be better off just removing the bottom trigger guard and then there is one screw holding a spring that holds the cylinder stop and applies pressure to the trigger once you take that out you are good to go to replace the trigger screw...then just replace cyl stop and trigger spring and screw....re install the trigger guard

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:39 pm

trigger slipped up didn't it [-(

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:08 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:trigger slipped up didn't it [-(