SBR/pistol combo finally done

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

SBR/pistol combo finally done

Post by flcracker » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:59 am

10.5" 300 BLK & 11.5" 5.56 NATO.

Smith Enterprise Windtalker .30 cal & AWC Raider 5.56 cans.

SBR & pistol lowers both have Rock River NM 2-stage triggers, and were set up identical to each other including closely matching camo patterns where the uppers and lowers meet that make it difficult to tell which was painted with which.

Uppers, lowers, and handguards were hard anodized in burnt copper, then I undertook my first ever firearms coating project using DuraCoat tactical desert sand, forest green, and forest brown, followed by several coats of matte clear coat. Stencils were licensed Kryptek stencils from MCM Firearms.

Function tests tomorrow.

Last edited by flcracker on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Magnus DUX
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: SBR/pistol combo finally done

Post by Magnus DUX » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:49 am

Nice
/:f

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:46 am

Looks good mate

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:58 am

Very nice how about a close up of the camo pattern
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Forgot to mention. Handguards are Midwest Industries SS (Gen I) one-piece FF tubes. The 11.5" 5.56 barrel is an Anderson/Voodoo lightweight carbine gas 1:7 twist. The 10.5" 300 BLK barrel is an AR Stoner pistol gas 1:8 twist. I saw no evidence of keyholing with the big 220 grn bullets.

First, here's some 50 yd sighting groups shot with 187 & 220 grn subsonics using a dim EoTech with nearly dead batteries.

And here's some closeups. In these pictures, I've swapped the uppers/lowers since painting, so the assemblies that you see here were not painted in this configuration. I think I did a pretty decent job at making them interchangeable. Painted jam rings on FF tubes will be swapped out for black ones.

[smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]

and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:39 am

And here's the final configuration of the 300BLK SBR. The Leupold MkIV MR/T 3-9x32 illuminated mil-dot is on mid-height A.R.M.S. QR throw-lever rings. That should be plenty for the maximum range of Hornady supersonic 110 grn A-Max kicking out at 2350 fps MV.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:23 am

I still can't believe you laid them on the " good " towels for a photo op, the Misses is gonna kill you [smilie=011.gif]
flcracker wrote:
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:44 am

That's a spare blanket in the grandkids playroom. It will help them associate the smell of Hoppe's, CLP, and powder residue with feelings of fun, comfort, and security.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Did you paint it yourself? The pattern looks very familiar, what's the name?

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Jonathanw wrote:Did you paint it yourself? The pattern looks very familiar, what's the name?
I bought the licensed Kryptek stencils from MCM Firearms and painted it myself.