learning to engrave guns ( or the worlds gaudiest Aow)

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Sweep

learning to engrave guns ( or the worlds gaudiest Aow)

Post by Sweep » Sun May 17, 2015 2:07 am

been a long oddsy to get here .. we bought a Steve Lindsey hand set for the wife to learn engraving , she broke her arm and it languished on the shelf in the cabnit for 2 years so i loaned the compressor to a friend who is a colt certified engraver for a year and a half . long story short i got bored picked up the compressor and started playing with it myself after being rear ended on my motorcycle . My first trys at bolino and scroll work left somthing to be desired ...so im teaching myself till i can find a class or private inst that will match up with my schedule.... any way here are the first trys i started with cutting on my first months attemts too mimic some of the stuff ive seen my buddy do please keep in mind i have only got about 30 hrs of use of the hand set so nothing spectaular but dang its addicting most of these are on 1.75 x 3 " plates so you can get a idea of size the only one inked so far is the tiger

Democrat's for Trump ...Anybody but Hillery even Jack the Dog !
Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: learning to engrave guns

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:15 am

Damn Sweep that's pretty cool, but you couldn't run down and have Smith or Lucky teach you and tricks of the trade or sit in for a while and get a lesson ??
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 am

Looks pretty good! Keep up the good work! =D>

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sun May 17, 2015 11:03 am

I am over at Kens all the time getting my graver sharpened he started out telling me i should go to the school when i first started , now 2 weeks later he says im teaching myself . these are at the trench art stage at the moment. give me some time and i will get it right. im currently doing a owl ducking a stooping hawk that looks much beter than the tiger did when it was in process .
You know you strated this with your bling bling 607 ar topic rent ..so im doing a bright polish ar with bamboo jungle and tiger Sbr. Thou i really want to do gold inlay hunting forest scenes im learning as many aspects as i can on my own till i can get to a class with one of the masters of the art
727-776-4274

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Sun May 17, 2015 2:35 pm

Nice work! =D>

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Sun May 17, 2015 5:09 pm

I'll be another one to say it looks good.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

chuck17

Post by chuck17 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:00 pm

That looks very good. How many hours of experience does it reflect up to the owl/hawk? I have often thought about trying to engrave, but it seems like such a time consuming process, and I worry about needing to get some thick eyeglasses after a while at it!

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon May 18, 2015 5:57 am

most the plates you see took 1.5 hrs on average the hawk and owl i have 6 hrs in i started it right after i posted this. all were with the mk 1 eyball till i did the tiger on the day i got the scope it took 4.5 hr . The hawk im using a micro scope to detail thou im unhappy with the results since i dont have my power hone in yet i cant make my gravers smaller ,witch is hindering my detail work,cant seem the get the individual feathers to detail . If you meen experiance engraving i set the hand set up on the 25th of last month and have about 30 hrs of use of the tools so far so
727-776-4274

chuck17

Post by chuck17 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 pm

30 hours of use is not much time at all, so you must definately have artistic talent! Thanks for sharing.

cj5mrt
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cj5mrt » Wed May 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Nice work.
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Thu May 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Sweep, what model equipment are you using? I was thinking of trying to get into engraving myself.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat May 23, 2015 12:21 pm

linsey palm control graver, silent-air air compressor and a EMZ 5 microscope Grs turn table and ball vise Trust me this is not a cheep hobby or enterprise to just try. Matt if your ever this way i can lay out something and let you try it to get a feel if its for you before you dump 8-10 grand into it
some pepole have a nack others will never get it ken says hes never seen any body pick it up so quick . The tools have a lot to do with it look on grs and linsey to get a idea of costs then research the hell out of it before you jump
727-776-4274

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed May 27, 2015 7:51 am

Well got back from Misery USA and picked it up again last night this is 3.5 hrs play time on a cougar in a tree the first two show the pin prick cuts and my pencil drawing ,the third picture is looking dead on and shows the shading when looking directly at it so far this is all shadows and light no ink .

727-776-4274

creophus
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by creophus » Thu May 28, 2015 9:47 am

Looking good!

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:22 pm

decided to try carving or deep relief engraving here it is on a 2nd quality lower when i get better i will do a full gun this is just puttering or trench art at this stage but sure keeps the mind occupied so far i have the patern on and part of the jungle carved still need to go in and detail the bamboo and leaves on the whole thing before i will work the tiger in the picture and put the bamboo on the fencing

727-776-4274

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:18 pm

how deep do you think you can go on that mag well wall before it would be an issue ??

I was pretty cautious when milling off the fence on my retro build and tried sanding it further to get that front detent channel down more, since mine was gonna be a shooter I didn't wanna chance going any deeper into it and chickened out.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:47 am

1/32 deep maybe, :-k havent taken a micro to it to see how thick it is yet but those areas around the fence will be bamboo stalk sections framing the tiger so not gonna relieve out there and the mag well will be the tiger in bank note style so not a lot of material to be removed. anyway its just removed to cause the engraving to pop out ,and if i do the critter right it wont be needed as there's other ways to get the same darkness behind him and the foilge . the flip side will show his back side as if hes moving thru a stand so one sides the eye of the tiger the others the ass of the tiger depending on how you feel that day [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif] I have on order 5 RRA A2 Uppers in the white to go with the 80% lowers i have high polished . I plan to do them in different styles bamboo , scroll , art deco , western bright cut and a plain high polished 607ish style sbr .Once i have the engraving done on the parts I will have them hard coat anodize them in clear.
727-776-4274

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:22 pm

sweet, who does the clear anodizing ??

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:15 pm

i will send it to sunglow local or back to RRA
727-776-4274

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:25 am

so im diggin in the garage and this AOW single shot 12 lower is looking out at me saying.. Hey You ye you cut me go ahead cut me somebody has already chopped and loped me so how much more can i screw it up..... what can a bored dude do...
Keep in mind these are just peices and parts to me so i took 6 hours and played ( so i need to work on my scorll work a little more not perfect )
but the only way i will get there is to do it lay out to final heres the start of it need to practice my flowers and rosettes so i did a little fanciness on the take-down pin and top-strap

727-776-4274