Shaving off front sight on AR15

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
rydjohnson

Shaving off front sight on AR15

Post by rydjohnson » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:48 am

Planning on adding a free float rail on my AR, and instead of swapping out the front sights, I cut off the front sight. Question is I removed the bayonet lug and sling attachment and where the sling attachment was, there is a hole in the block. Should I be worried about this? Is it safe to fire with the hole present? Or do I need to buy another front sight?

Pics:

Brandon H.
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Shaving off front sight on AR15

Post by Brandon H. » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:14 pm

You should be fine the hole for the gas block is on the top of the barrel

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 pm

are you gonna clean it up a bit or leave it all chippy choppy like that

you'll probably have to get that front HG retainer off as well, drive those 2 pins out and then you'll find its a little easier to round over those edges on the front gas block
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

rydjohnson

Post by rydjohnson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:are you gonna clean it up a bit or leave it all chippy choppy like that

you'll probably have to get that front HG retainer off as well, drive those 2 pins out and then you'll find its a little easier to round over those edges on the front gas block
Thanks Rent! Definitely going to clean and smooth it out a bit. This was the first attempt to get the sight, bayonet and sling nut removed. Once I remove those 2 pins, the gas block should come off, right? Or do I also need to remove the gas tube pin as well?

Brandon H.
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Brandon H. » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:57 pm

There is a pin for the gas tube on the sight, but you should be able to just pull the whole thing off with the gas tube still connected.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:52 pm

rydjohnson wrote:
Thanks Rent! Definitely going to clean and smooth it out a bit. This was the first attempt to get the sight, bayonet and sling nut removed. Once I remove those 2 pins, the gas block should come off, right? Or do I also need to remove the gas tube pin as well?
yes 2 pins and off it will come and you can either take the gas tube roll pin out or leave it, it you take it out, now is your chance to really clean the gas tube with some carb cleaner or something, careful that roll pin is small and you can loose them....and I wasn't complaining about the job you did, some folks just hack them off and cover them with a12 inch rail and you almost don't see them with a little black paint, just wondering :-k
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
rydjohnson wrote:
yes 2 pins and off it will come and you can either take the gas tube roll pin out or leave it, it you take it out, now is your chance to really clean the gas tube with some carb cleaner or something, careful that roll pin is small and you can loose them....and I wasn't complaining about the job you did, some folks just hack them off and cover them with a12 inch rail and you almost don't see them with a little black paint, just wondering :-k

and hats off to whomever came up with the neat idea the hack that front sight off and still use that FSB as a gas block, those low pro gas blocks are at least $ 25 and you really don't see them under the HG anyways

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:53 pm

rydjohnson wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:are you gonna clean it up a bit or leave it all chippy choppy like that

If you need a hand pounding the pins out, send me IM, I've done my share of these. It actually would have been a bit easier to remove before you started sawing away on it.

Looks like I maybe a bit late to the party!

JoeCWales
Life Member
Life Member

Post by JoeCWales » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:22 pm

rydjohnson wrote:Planning on adding a free float rail on my AR, and instead of swapping out the front sights, I cut off the front sight. Question is I removed the bayonet lug and sling attachment and where the sling attachment was, there is a hole in the block. Should I be worried about this? Is it safe to fire with the hole present? Or do I need to buy another front sight?

Pics:

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and suggest that at least some of your friends call you Bubba.

JoeC

Yes I quoted the pics too like I usually don't. They seemed so germane. Rent needs something to bitch about.
"Freedom is only for those with the guts to defend it."

scottly
Life Member
Life Member

Post by scottly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 am

Holy butchered slice job, Batman! Put down the hack saw and step away from the tool box!!

Buy a low profile gas block...and a few less beers.
Suppose you are an idiot. And suppose you are a member of Congress.
But I repeat myself. ~ Mark Twain

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:56 pm

scottly wrote:Holy butchered slice job, Batman! Put down the hack saw and step away from the tool box!!

Who cares so long as it functions, it'll be under the rail anyway. Might have a perm. Art. 14.5
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:36 am

NonConformist wrote:
scottly wrote:Holy butchered slice job, Batman! Put down the hack saw and step away from the tool box!!

Who cares so long as it functions, it'll be under the rail anyway. Might have a perm. Art. 14.5

Oh hell that thing would clean up nicely if he put a little bit of time into and removes it from the barrel. There is hardly an aftermarket gas block that would be as strong as cut down FSB due to the pin attachment points, heck of a lot stronger than any set screw set-up.
Last edited by LastRites on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

DannyFL

Post by DannyFL » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:20 am

LastRites wrote: Oh hell that thing would clean up nicely if he put a little bit of time into and removes it from the barrel. There is hardly an aftermarket gas block that would be as strong as cut down FSB due to the pin attachment points, heck of a lock stronger than any set screw set-up.
+1

Dimpling + Loctite + setscrews with a low profile block is fine too but just like you said nothing beats a pinned one...

neonnight34609
Life Member
Life Member

Post by neonnight34609 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:12 am

what did you cut that off with a fire axe ?
"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne