The Cheapskate Chronicles: Air rifle stock

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

The Cheapskate Chronicles: Air rifle stock

Post by Waldo1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:20 am

I bought another air rifle (not a BB gun) as a project, a BSA SuperTEN Mk1 in .22 cal. It had a blown regulator and a couple of other small issues that I fixed. It had a decent, but uninspiring Beech stock and I wanted something much better- essentially for free. While I waited for this miracle to occur, I went out to the garage and scrounged around in the piles of weird s';t that I've packratted over the years.

Last edited by Waldo1 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." -Harlan Ellison

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: The Cheapskate Chronicles: Air rifle stock

Post by Waldo1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:27 am

Last edited by Waldo1 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." -Harlan Ellison

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Waldo1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 am

Last edited by Waldo1 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Waldo1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:42 am

Last edited by Waldo1 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 305tillimoved » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:51 am

Looks pretty damn good to me. Nice job!
=D>
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Waldo1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 am

Makes me want to look at making a similar monolithic aluminum chassis for a Ruger 10/22 :-k [smilie=cheers1.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:25 am

Waldo1 wrote:
was this the receiver from the old one ??, very nice work, access to that mill in your garage would make you the best neighbor :ber
Waldo1 wrote:Makes me want to look at making a similar monolithic aluminum chassis for a Ruger 10/22 :-k [smilie=cheers1.gif]

please make 2 I have a neat idea using the Ruger Charger pistol like a mare's leg :-k
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:53 pm

What mill are you using if I may ask?
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Waldo1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 pm

One more for the gallery:

Rent- I'm not exactly next door, but I'm about 45 miles from you in Groveland. If you come, you'd better bring beer... The whole thing was made from scratch out of aluminum and acetal material that I had kicking around. The barreled action of that BSA pulled right out of the old wooden stock just like a 10/22, essentially complete. I don't know if you've ever messed around with high-pressure air rifles, but this BSA is a freaking hammer.

Synaptic- this mill is a large table-top design that I got through Grizzly probably about 12 years ago. It is a no-name, green monster probably made in slave-labor factory #372 somewhere. I have cleaned/tightened it up some (the table, the ways and the head) and installed a set of digital machine scales on the X and Y axes, but it is all manual and you get to feel all of your cuts. It is the Sopwith Camel of milling machines... [smilie=cheers1.gif]