Stamping a slide

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Stamping a slide

Post by REDinFL » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:25 am

Someone polished a slide and in the process made the name of the manufacturer too faint to read. The s/n on the frame is OK and, the frame technically is the firearm. But, to avoid grey areas and hassles, I understand that the name can simply be re-stamped: doesn't even have to be duplicated graphics, just a simple block letter name of mfr. and location. Anyone do this without other wise messing up the slide or bending it?
Mit den Dummen dreht man die Welt um.

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Stamping a slide

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:34 am

You can use an etching solution and deepen he stamp or create a new one.
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:39 am

RJ take it to Ken Smith engraving 400 east bay in largo hes a colt certified engraver and can put it back on while you wait + hes a hell of a nice guy and very reasonable on his rates witch is why hes done quite a few nfa engravings for the locals
Democrat's for Trump ...Anybody but Hillery even Jack the Dog !
Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:57 pm

I second Ken Smith and Jim Lucky , good folks
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I'll follow up and get it done. Bought the thing and don't need issues if I have to use it. Actually, glad the smith who did it worked on it because the trigger is smooth until the "glass breaks".

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:56 am

rjroberts wrote:Someone polished a slide and in the process made the name of the manufacturer too faint to read. The s/n on the frame is OK and, the frame technically is the firearm. But, to avoid grey areas and hassles, I understand that the name can simply be re-stamped: doesn't even have to be duplicated graphics, just a simple block letter name of mfr. and location. Anyone do this without other wise messing up the slide or bending it?
Theres no reason for the serial number to be on the slide. Theres no grey area. A slides a slide. A frame/receiver is a firearm.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:03 am

molivo wrote:
rjroberts wrote:Someone polished a slide and in the process made the name of the manufacturer too faint to read. The s/n on the frame is OK and, the frame technically is the firearm. But, to avoid grey areas and hassles, I understand that the name can simply be re-stamped: doesn't even have to be duplicated graphics, just a simple block letter name of mfr. and location. Anyone do this without other wise messing up the slide or bending it?
Theres no reason for the serial number to be on the slide. Theres no grey area. A slides a slide. A frame/receiver is a firearm.

The S/N is on the frame where it belongs; as you say, the frame is the firearm. However, the manufacturer's name was on the slide and now is very very faint, have to turn it just right in the right light to be able to make it out. There doesn't seem to be an issue with federal law, which only talks about the s/n on the frame but, many states, including Florida require that the manufacturer's name be visible. So, to avoid an issue with some clown who wants to make up some law anyway and improve his productivity stats, I was thinking of having the name re-stamped on the slide. That's all if I carry it much: with the warm weather coming, I may because it's smallest. Otherwise, I'll just sell it and let someone else worry about it, since the legality of the s/n is not an issue. I suspect that situation exists with many autoloaders as I notice a s/n on the frame and the name is on the slide. What happens when one changes to another slide? Can't say all but I have seen plenty with no name on the frame. Dunno. Maybe I worry too much. But, it only has to happen once.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:33 pm

we have people cut the import stamps off guns all the time, but the manuf name and serial number have to stay
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.